Denon AH-D2000's under $200? Any chance?
Dec 19, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #16 of 52
I've lost the link, but there's a Japanese site that tested a great many headphones, including the frequency response. The Ultrasones had a HUGE bass hump.

Between my UE9s and Markl'ed D5000s, I prefer the bass in the latter. It just turns all music into a fun listen, even if it is a bit over the top.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #18 of 52
I want to place my order on the valley site for the Denon D2000 for $187.

But they use some kinda google shopping card and I am not sure how to go about using that. And I am afraid to purchase as I do not know when they will get in stock and what if they steal my money?

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #19 of 52
I am wary of placing an order when I don't even know if they will ever be back in stock. I would love to grab these things at that price but from what I've heard, I don't think they will ever get to me.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #20 of 52
If those places seem somewhat legit you could order with a credit card that way if something happens the credit card company will cover it. I think buy.com you should place the order if you don't mind waiting could be quick could be months, but they basically never officially restock on the site they just fill backorders gradually.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by effectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to place my order on the valley site for the Denon D2000 for $187.

But they use some kinda google shopping card and I am not sure how to go about using that. And I am afraid to purchase as I do not know when they will get in stock and what if they steal my money?

With Google checkout you can pay with a few methods, mainly either through credit card or Paypal (hmm...i think PP?)
I've bought a few things through Google using debit card, works fine and quick
I'd say just wait and check on the site once a day until you see them in stock.

1+ month ago i was looking at the buy.com site and was thinking of placing an order on the "out of stock" item, I probably wouldn't have gotten it yet
Oh and buy.com has quite a bunch of bad reviews, that kinda scared me

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #22 of 52
So which is it? Do they ever come in stock or not?

I placed an order with Buy.com because they said they won't charge my credit card until the order is filled anyways and if I find it available before then I'll just cancel the original order.

I can be patient for these.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If those places seem somewhat legit you could order with a credit card that way if something happens the credit card company will cover it. I think buy.com you should place the order if you don't mind waiting could be quick could be months, but they basically never officially restock on the site they just fill backorders gradually.

That my friend is very interesting.

I was told when you back order the do not charge your credit card?
And you can cancel your order anytime?

Dec 19, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigevilalien /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So which is it? Do they ever come in stock or not?

I placed an order with Buy.com because they said they won't charge my credit card until the order is filled anyways and if I find it available before then I'll just cancel the original order.

I can be patient for these.

Wow i didn't know that, always thought that once you place the order you're tied in!
In that case it wouldn't be such a bad idea

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by effectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder why it is no one has any D2000 in stock?
Could it be they are the best selling headphones?

According to another Head-Fi'er it is because Denon has been cracking down recently on "greymarket" dealers that are not authorized to sell these cans at that price. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but it is certainly confusing. I'd find it impossible to justify spending $300 or $350 on these if I could get them for 60% of that!

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #27 of 52
I wish I had more details, but there was just an article i read that new companies have sprouted up and offer services to companies like Denon (et all) that scour the whole internet and send a report to companies with retailers that are selling way below MSRP.
Not sure how they crackdown on the wholesale market chain, but I've received emails from a online sunglasses store in recent weeks saying their top brands will be going up in price 20,30,40% in the coming weeks.
I'm sure this is all good for B&M stores who were having their butts handed to them by online dealers.
I'll just add that I just got the D5000s for around $252 shipped/no tax recently with 30% live cashback and 10% ebay coupon on top. Unfortunately, that all seems to be dead for now but may come back in the new year.

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #28 of 52
Well this is quite stupid on Denon's part. How come Logitech don't complain when dealers sell their Z5500 for 50% off and sometimes 60% off.

Sennheiser dosen't seem to care that Amazon sells all their headphones at 40 to 60% off the MSRP.

So why is it Denon and Grado has to be so stupid about it?
How could people be this greedy?
Which planet are we really living on?
Whatever happened to helping the poor?

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #29 of 52
They are protecting the brick-and-morter stores that sell their products. Denon has to choose between selling on the Internet at heavily-discounted prices or being promoted by dealers that stock and demonstrate their headphones. There's nothing wrong with their choosing the second model, even though most of us here would prefer the first. It's not greed that motivates them. You could say it's just as greedy to try to undercut those who have invested in a store and its corresponding expenses by buying them cheaply over the Internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back