Denon AH-D2000 - recommend "next step" DAC/AMP?
Apr 20, 2011 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CheekyMonkey

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I currently have a Denon D2000 setup connected to a Nuforce Icon Mobile DAC/AMP (connected to my Macbook Pro via USB), which has provided a measurable improvement in performance. While I plan on getting wood cups and the Marklmod in the near future, I was wondering if forum members could recommend a next step DAC/AMP (doesn't need to be portable). And are there noticeable benefits in moving to a "better" DAC/AMP? 

For instance, would going with a more powerful Nuforce (the Udac 2 for instance) improve the SQ with the D2000s? Or should I save and consider something like the Graham Slee Voyager, etc?

Many thanks!

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 9
My markl d2000 sounds absolutely amazing coming out of the iBasso D3 I just picked up.  It sounded decidedly mediocre out of my uDac2.  From what I've read, Nuforce strikes me as an amateur company, lacking both the tools and knowledge to produce properly calibrated components.  I would stay away.

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #5 of 9
morph 2k4 - Odd, a number of head-fi'ers recommended a brighter sound amp from Nuforce (like the Icon Mobile or higher) as a good match with Denon D2000s recessed mids, which seems to have been borne out in practice (from what I can tell, anyway). Fiio E7 is supposed to make it too bassy, but nice to hear that the iBasso is recommended.

charli3 - No more than 150 pounds (or the $ equivalent of that-250). Suggestions?

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 9
Never mind - purchased the FiiO E7 and answered my own question - no contest, the E7 is an immediate improvement, in bass control alone. Will burn in for the next 48 hours and update my impressions.

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 9
Now that you have the E7 you can hear for yourself, adding the E9 will take you to a higher plane, I have a little more than $400 invested in my whole set-up and it sounds great.

:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back