Denon AH-D2000 - New @ $243 USD
Dec 24, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #76 of 120
Dang I wish we had stores like that here in Australia
frown.gif
Right now as my sig says, the HF-2, RS-1 and ALO-780 all interest me. I think If I do not like the ALO-780 if i buy it, I will re-sell it and buy the HF-2.

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #77 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in Portland OR, home of ALO and 32 Ohm Audio. I haven't heard the HFI-780 or the ALO-780 yet. It's on my list to listen to. 32 Ohm Audio is a great shop to try out various headphones.

I'm also currently looking around for a headphone more suitable than the D2000 for hard rock (I listen to some metal as well, but not much). Currently I'm using my SR60 and HD600 to fill that hard rock need. But both are lacking in their own unique ways for that hard rock need. So the quest is on. I'm not sure where it will lead. Maybe a higher level Grado, maybe an Ultrasone. Maybe something completely different.

When I had my HD650s, I thought they were horrible for rock, but I don't know how close the HD600s are to them. IMO, the 650s were anemic, and very flat dynamically (and yes they were properly amped). So far, I haven't heard anything better than my DT770s for rock and electronic (we'll see how the DT990s stack up once they arrive).

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #78 of 120
I've been wanting to try something from the Beyerdynamic line, the DT880 mainly, but the DT770 too. They might replace my ATH-AD700 for gaming, who knows. Since you have both by the looks of it in your sig, could you please tell me which you prefer for gaming if u have any to play? I play online fps, thanks
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #79 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been wanting to try something from the Beyerdynamic line, the DT880 mainly, but the DT770 too. They might replace my ATH-AD700 for gaming, who knows. Since you have both by the looks of it in your sig, could you please tell me which you prefer for gaming if u have any to play? I play online fps, thanks
biggrin.gif

Well I don't play any games, but I can definitely tell you how they compare with music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #80 of 120
Haha well I know now my ATH-AD700 fail for music
tongue.gif
My Grado's are MUCH better for metal. The only thing I miss is the soundstage of the AD700, hence I use them with my X-Fi elite pro for gaming
biggrin.gif
I just tried the ad700 out ofmy Zero DAC and wow, gaming is impossible. I cannot hear enemies until I see them lol. With the X-Fi I can hear them like a hundred metres away
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #81 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I had my HD650s, I thought they were horrible for rock, but I don't know how close the HD600s are to them. IMO, the 650s were anemic, and very flat dynamically (and yes they were properly amped). So far, I haven't heard anything better than my DT770s for rock and electronic (we'll see how the DT990s stack up once they arrive).

That's the general character of the HD600 as well for rock. I don't consider them horrible for rock. I prefer them to the D2000 for harder rock and metal styles because they don't mess up the midrange. But yes, they do lack what is really necessary for harder and driving rock.

I've yet to hear any of the Beyers. 32 Ohm Audio doesn't carry them and they haven't shown up at any meets I've attended. I do need to give them a listen before making a decision on my next headphone.

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #82 of 120
Quick question, which genre(s) do the Denon D2000 EXCEL with? Grado has metal/rock.

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #83 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question, which genre(s) do the Denon D2000 EXCEL with? Grado has metal/rock.

The D2000 excels with anything except hard rock and metal.
ph34r.gif
Of course a lot is going to depend on personal preference for the sound signature and style.

The D2000 does very well for lighter rock and classic rock. Very well with jam bands and Grateful Dead. Older alternative or college rock is good. Very well for the singer songwriter style. Very well with electronic music.

The D2000 does very well with acoustic. Jazz and bluegrass can be amazing. Classical music can do well too as long as you are agreeable to having the Denon bass be there. I like listening to full orchestra works on the D2000. Some works like Holst's "The Planets" can be a treat for the ears. Pipe organ is absolutely amazing on the D2000.

The Achilles heal of the D2000 is the recessed midrange. It has a dip in the 2 kHz region. It is that dip that makes hard rock and metal not work and cause the guitar and/or vocal to be distant. That dip can also affect the tone or timbre of some acoustic instruments. You may notice that a jazz sax has less body than it should or you may notice that a bluegrass banjo has less body than it should. If you are a stickler for proper tone and timbre that will bother you. If you are just listening for fun it isn't a problem and the change generally works out to make the instrument sound more fun and involving than it would on a more neutral headphone.

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #85 of 120
Ugh... I bought them for 270 on e-bay back when they were $300 from amazon. I am too impatient.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #86 of 120
Quote:

I live in Portland OR, home of ALO and 32 Ohm Audio

Me too...I didn't know we have such nice stores in town, do they carry electrostatics and tubes gear. I moved from Boston area and I had the chance to hear (almost) everything all the way to Orpheus (and once you have Orpheus nothing else matters).There's tonns of great gear out there, but with dynamic HP seem to me there's always a trade b/w soundstage and 3D separation (Senn, Beyer) and "fun" and forward presentation (Grado, AT, UE) on a flat soundstage. You have to try what suits you best, and then tweak and adjust. Electrostatics though are a different league.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #87 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdr529 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should try using an equalizer to bump that band.

That's what I did with my new D5000s. I spent a good 1/2 hour adjusting the foobar2000 eq and they now sound unbelievable. In fact, I can't believe how good they sound.
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #88 of 120
Quote:

I live in Portland OR, home of ALO and 32 Ohm Audio.

Me three. Lot's of Portlanders on head-fi. Must be the rain.
beerchug.gif
Great town and great store. Did you make it to the grand opening?

For rock, I'd look up the Grado line. I swear by the RS1i, but my brother just got the 325i from 32 Ohm and they sound amazing. You can demo them there. And they have a pair of RS2s to demo, but last time I was in there they didn't have any RS1s open. They have a pair of HF1s though to try. If you like more bass, they now stock Denon and have a demo D2000. Personally, I think the Denons sound good for hard rock, but you definitely need to eq up. Nowhere near the Grados though, for rock at least. Just my 2 cents.
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #89 of 120
I own the AD700 and have owned AD900 and now have a pair of HD600. The HD600 suite me better because I have trouble with the excessive treble of the AD900 (ear fatigue) but I can see how many would prefer the higher treble of the AD900 and it's slightly more forward mids. But I feel the HD600 has better bass response and is a warmer sounding phone which suites me fine. I listen to a wide range of music and the HD600 is able to play them all well enough for me. I have noticed it's is not perfect for all genre's but doesn't cause any major issues with any genre either. I do think it helps that my amp is a bit analytical and cold in nature though as it adds something to the HD600 in areas the phone is weak. The AD700/900 have a much bigger soundstage though but I am liking the rest of the HD600 signature that I'm not missing the soundstage that much.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #90 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdr529 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should try using an equalizer to bump that band.

I've played with the EQ and bumping the EQ up at around 2 kHz does help the D2000 to rock out. But it also loses the Denon sound character in the process.

I've only used a graphic EQ. I need to dig in with a parametric EQ so I have control over exactly where the frequency bump will be and how wide it will be. I think with some careful parametric EQ tweaking I could get it to my liking.

A little bit of EQ with the D2000 can be a good thing.

My comments in above posts about the sound of the D2000 is with no EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back