Denon AH-D2000 - New @ $243 USD
Dec 24, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #91 of 120
Can anyone comment how the Denon's are compared to the Audio-Technica ATH-A900Ti's? Will the Denon's sound a lot different than the AT's? These are my only headphones and I would like to try some others to compare! Thanks.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #92 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too...I didn't know we have such nice stores in town, do they carry electrostatics and tubes gear. I moved from Boston area and I had the chance to hear (almost) everything all the way to Orpheus (and once you have Orpheus nothing else matters).

He's got some tube amps. The headphones are all dynamics though. He may carry the Audeze ortho once it's released.

No electrostats there. I wonder if he'll get into the electrostats?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me three. Lot's of Portlanders on head-fi. Must be the rain.
beerchug.gif
Great town and great store. Did you make it to the grand opening?

I was there for the grand opening. A fun headphone centric party. I even tried out the Beats. Noise canceling headphones in a noisy room. Too bad that they sound like I expected.

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #95 of 120
Congrads on your purchase, and in the Head-Fi tradition may I say sorry about you wallet
atsmile.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #96 of 120
I liked them when I tried them, at least comfort wise. Bass response was actually quite nice and not bloated (as I had read here). However i did not try it with my known metal albums, did try them with some jazz and they sounded quite good to me. Then only thing that I noticed (but was not a deal breaker) was the tonality, which I think is more natural-like in an open design than in a closed design.

Even so I think those D2000 are a good pair of closed headphones.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #97 of 120
Mine arrived this morning from AdvancedMP3Players and are now sitting safely under the tree
smily_headphones1.gif
- just like to say a big thanks to everyone on these forums for all the advice and help in choosing them.

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #98 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by doompigeon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After hours of researching through this site, and a couple trips to J&R, I decided to purchase a pair of Denon AH-D2000 headphones. $202 shipped directly from Amazon. They're due to arrive tomorrow, just in time for Christmas.

Figured this should be my first post as well.
wink.gif

me2 - I get mine today from Amazon as well. Really looking forward to them, burning them in - and then probably getting some Lawson Audio wooden cups for them and possibly doing some of the markl mods myself for the earcups. But first things first - getting them burned in as I hear the Denon's really open up more than alot of others.

My 3rd post - Happy Holiday (listening) to everyone!

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #99 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbtruitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
me2 - I get mine today from Amazon as well. Really looking forward to them, burning them in - and then probably getting some Lawson Audio wooden cups for them...

You might want to try contacting Lawton Audio first...
beyersmile.png

Dec 25, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #100 of 120
Hooked 'em up today - out of the gate they suck big time, but that's expected. My brand new HD580 were even worse when I got them, and a week later (post 150 hours burn-in) I wasn't able to believe it's the same headphone.

Boy, HD201 with the right mode is such a great set of cans ...

Dec 25, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #101 of 120
Got mine today too - just plugged into my PC atm, sound pretty good to me - sound stage is immense compared to my 1001's.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #102 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hooked 'em up today - out of the gate they suck big time, but that's expected. My brand new HD580 were even worse when I got them, and a week later (post 150 hours burn-in) I wasn't able to believe it's the same headphone.

Boy, HD201 with the right mode is such a great set of cans ...

Yeah, the D2000's will benefit immensely from even minimal burn-in. Although, I think a few people mentioned that 200 hours was a milestone.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #103 of 120
When I first got my D2000 and plugged them in I was "whoa, this isn't good, it's a mess, bass is completely uncontrolled". By 20 hours they were better. I stopped even thinking about burn-in after 40 hours cause they were clearly done. I don't subscribe to the long burn-in times and claims. Any burn-in the D2000 needs happens quickly (under 20 hours and likely less). If the D2000 doesn't tame itself to your ears after a short burn-in period then it is likely that the D2000 isn't going to be a fit for your ears even after 200 hours.

My burn-in consisted of Infected Mushroom (B.P. Empire) alternating with a short bit of pink noise played at a higher than regular listening volume.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #104 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by mritt400 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to try contacting Lawton Audio first...
beyersmile.png

oops - I knew that - too much holiday spirits. . .

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #105 of 120
Got mine in a couple of days ago and now have 10-15 hrs on them - so far I am quite impressed. I dont listen to as much bass heavy material, or listen that loudly, but I dont think the bass is that bad out of the box.

For $200 I think the sound is actually pretty amazing. I usually always start with Steely Dan and some Donal Fagen to check out a sound system, and thought the D2000's were pretty sweet across the spectrum. Detail/transient response was really good, high end had great sparkle but wasnt harsh. A little Flecktones and Victor Wooten also sounded pretty nice and I thought his bass sounded pretty tight. But again, I dont listen loud, and all my listening so far was not eq'd / totally flat, but still thought with little break in they are really good and hopefully will get even better.

I haven't listened to any of the current top tier phones as reference, so I probably dont know what 'great' is these days, but these Denon's with a little break in sound pretty damn good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back