Denon AH-D2000 in the house
May 23, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #286 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else have any sibilance issues with the Denons, which I believe one of the Berkley boys reported...As always, that may have been source related in that case???

Curse Head-fi! All this AH-D2000 chatter is starting to cause a craving! I don't have a closed back set that fills that need yet.

May 23, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #287 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First impression: the cable would gag a maggot!

What were (are?) they thinking?

Yes, the cable is so unbelievably crappy.It's the worst cable I've came across so far, and I own/ have owned ~ 30 headphones.
It's such a weird contrast to the otherwise excellent built quality.
It's the reason why I hesitate to recommend the Denons.

May 23, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #288 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always get good laughs when people are accusing all the other components of the chain to cause the sibilance. It's never the headphones. Yet still only few headphones have the sibilance and usually with pretty much all the sources and amps. Funny.
cool.gif

If you have a system in which the headphone is not sibilant, then odds are that the sibilance is coming from somewhere else. If you only test in one rig, you have no way of knowing where any of the sonic effects are originating. You need to keep in mind that in the end you are listening to a system, not a component of that system. The same rig that sounds sibilant with a Denon may not sound sibilant with something else...

May 23, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #289 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a system in which the headphone is not sibilant, then odds are that the sibilance is coming from somewhere else. If you only test in one rig, you have no way of knowing where any of the sonic effects are originating. You need to keep in mind that in the end you are listening to a system, not a component of that system. The same rig that sounds sibilant with a Denon may not sound sibilant with something else...

My own experiences tell me that usually the main reason for sibilance is the headphone itself. Those two headphones which I've found the most sibilant I've tested with several rigs and the results were pretty much the same with all of them.

Then again there are many non-sibilant headphones which I've heard with even more rigs and they've never been sibilant (even many headphones which are considered very bright sounding). So I blame headphones for sibilance.

May 24, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #290 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knockturne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does electric guitar sound on the D2000s compared to other headphones?

Mine are still burning-in, but already I can tell the guitar solos sound GREAT -- whether clear notes, or with fuzz-box -- guitars sound real (and I'm a guitarist). Was, anyway.
Similar to DT990 and all my other *good* cans.

May 28, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #291 of 933
Had a friend of mine come over and check out the denons on saturday night. His comment was "it's like they took the audio technica a900s and bumped them up to the quality level of the HD650s and K701s, very nice"

Maybe that's why I love them so much since I'm a big fan of the a900s (the a500s were my first into into the hifi world). I find them a nice middle ground between the 650s and the 701s, and they definately rival AT for comfort.

May 28, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #293 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My own experiences tell me that usually the main reason for sibilance is the headphone itself. Those two headphones which I've found the most sibilant I've tested with several rigs and the results were pretty much the same with all of them.

Then again there are many non-sibilant headphones which I've heard with even more rigs and they've never been sibilant (even many headphones which are considered very bright sounding). So I blame headphones for sibilance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I choose to refer to phones with this trait with the term "revealing" rather than the phone being "sibilant"...Sibilance is an 'effect" of a revealing phone IMO....

It seems to be a trait of phones with bumps in their freq graphs in their upper midrange and their high freq as well as being highly extended in their upper treble, revealing of the source and recording. Such as is the case of the 990s and to a lesser degree the k701s , both of which I own and have seen / heard to be transformed by my evolution to better sources and amplifiers. Concluding with their near perfection now mated to the Corda Opera...

Again, I am encouraged to know the AH-D-x000 have the extention enough to be reported to be slightly sibilant on at least some source amp combo
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #294 of 933
This was my first serious recabling. And the result even better then I was expecting! Such a fun to work with heat shrinks tubes!
http://usera.imagecave.com/vvs_75/DSC01633.JPG

Somebody was asking the size of the driver? It's almost 50mm see pic.

http://usera.imagecave.com/vvs_75/DSC01625.JPG

Now the cable burn in to about 200h and I can hear the difference between stock cable (was burn in 150h) and the Cardas cable very clear.
Bass, treble, details, everything improved to some degree.
Also I noticed that D2000 became very dependent on recording. On some tracks cans very sibilant and on the others so balanced that I can't believe that it's the same headphones.
And if it's not my tube amp or imagination I think the sound got little bit warmer.

http://usera.imagecave.com/vvs_75/DSC01698.JPG

Happy listening everybody!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #295 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was my first serious recabling. ....

Keep us posted on the SQ and any changes you notice. Nice cable job, I think the 1/4 end is much more appropriate.

May 29, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #296 of 933
Is it safe to order from Audio Cubes now (I remember reading somewhere about horrible wait times on the D2000)? I can't order from Price Japan because I don't have a verified PayPal account.

To anyone that finds the D2000 disappointing, I'm willing to buy your pair
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #297 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it safe to order from Audio Cubes now (I remember reading somewhere about horrible wait times on the D2000)? I can't order from Price Japan because I don't have a verified PayPal account.

To anyone that finds the D2000 disappointing, I'm willing to buy your pair
biggrin.gif

Whatever you do, stay away from Audio-Discounters. They don't have anything in stock and will charge your credit as soon as you placed your order. BTW, their promises are as good as communist propaganda.

May 29, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #298 of 933
Has anyone purchased the D2000 from one of the eBay sellers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back