Denon AH-D2000 in the house
Apr 12, 2007 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 933

Andrew_WOT

Headphoneus Supremus
Well,
Pricejapan IS quick. 3 days after placing the order and I have them on my desk.

Packaging:
If I paid $500 for this I would be seriously pissed off. Besides the poor content, just small instruction in Japanese and 1/8-1/4 screw on adapter, the carton looks plain cheap, definitely not up to the nice Audio Technica packaging. But we are not here for nice boxes, are we?

Headphones:
These babies are feather light. Cups are plastic as far as I can tell.
frown.gif

Pads are from soft and looks like durable leather, but stitching is not up to high standards, somewhat rough and a bit sloppy.
What, made in China? What the hell?
blink.gif
I bought them from Japanese retailer, not ebay.
mad.gif
Are D5000 made in China too?
Cable is wrapped in fabric, kind of like A900, but fabric quality subpar in comparison. Cable has tendency to tangle and with plastic Y-splitter looks plain ugly. This definitely has to go as soon as Larry starts offering Denon recabling. Having hard time screwing on 1/4 adapter, for some reason outer enclosure on 1/8 plug just freely rotates, to lock it in place I had to hold the plastic 1/8 adapter tail where cable enters enclosure. Is it by design, or just sloppy assembly, not sure?
Extremely comfy, make Beyers feel piss poor uncomfortable in comparison.

The sound:
These are straight out of the box impressions, which probably don't mean jack. No critical listening of any kind just what first hit me:
- Big soundstage, actually good open headphones big (and I don't mean Grados).
- Deep, slamming bass, somewhat boomy, perhaps just needs some burn in to settle a bit.
- Definitely not bright, I hear virtually zero offensive trebles, but still somewhat scratchy at times which I hope will go away.
- Good details and instruments separation, everything sounds well outside head like in a big concert hall, almost hear echo bouncing against the walls.
smily_headphones1.gif

How do they do that without S-logic is just completely beyond me
rolleyes.gif

- Fairly even frequency response, no noticeable emphasis on anything, except deep bass, which actually loosing its boomines as I am typing. Very smooth transition bass-mids-highs, feels very natural like it supposed to sound this way. No coloration to speak of.

More impressions to follow.
So far I am extremely pleased with the sound, definitely the best closed I've tried to day.

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 933
Oooh, congratulations. We hope to see some pictures soon!

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they do that without S-logic is just completely beyond me
rolleyes.gif

LOL. Even though I'm an Ultrasone owner and you're obviously being sarcastic, I must say that's pretty funny.

Apr 12, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, they sound like awesome headphones
tongue.gif
How do they compare to your dt880s?
k1000smile.gif

Nah, I wouldn't dare.
biggrin.gif

At least not until full burn in, the bass is still too dominant to hear all these tiny little details that DT880 just shove into ears.

Plus they are felt a bit slowish in comparison with longer decay.

Apr 12, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 933
Thanks for your extreamly candid initial thoughts on Dennons '07 reentry into the marketplace for our headphone cash.

While the sonic qualitys are of most importance, build quality must also always be taken heavely into concideration for longivitys sake, no matter how good an instrument sounds.

290usd is a considerable sum placing the D2000 into direct compition with Beyers and AKG who IMO turn out surperlative instruments in terms alone of their build quality.

I yet have great hopes the D2000s sonic qualitys post burn-in, do indeed up the ante in the marketplace and does not drive down build quality of the compition.

Again, thank you for your honest apraisal and I look forward to hearing more. Yea, pun intended ;-}

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 933
Nice review. It's hard to judge phones by initial impressions, I know. Would be cool to know how you think they compare to the Proline 750's and the A900's
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh, and one more thing - how come people on this forum doesn't settle on ONE headphone, they want MANY? It's not a cheap hobby, that's for sure!

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your extreamly candid initial thoughts on Dennons '07 reentry into the marketplace for our headphone cash.

While the sonic qualitys are of most importance, build quality must also always be taken heavely into concideration for longivitys sake, no matter how good an instrument sounds.

290usd is a considerable sum placing the D2000 into direct compition with Beyers and AKG who IMO turn out surperlative instruments in terms alone of their build quality.

I yet have great hopes the D2000s sonic qualitys post burn-in, do indeed up the ante in the marketplace and does not drive down build quality of the compition.

Again, thank you for your honest apraisal and I look forward to hearing more. Yea, pun intended ;-}

Not sure that poor build quality is exactly what I wanted to convey. I was a little upset by seeing Made in China printing, cheap looking carton box, and somewhat by tangling cable. (it tangles much less after some twisting btw)
Build quality of headphones in fact is very, very good, definitely on par with Beyers, even better. They are the most expensive looking headphones in my collection now.
biggrin.gif

Still cannot get used to the rich bass, makes everything sound so unorthodox. Is that what Darths are about?
basshead.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When is someone going to get the D5000?

Skylab already got one. There is a review on the next page.

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 933
One cool thing about pads that I just found out.
Ear openings on pads are oval to match ear shape and they ROTATE,
blink.gif
, so you can adjust them to align with your ear shape/placement.

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 933
Could you post some pics with you wearing them? Pics I've seen of them doens't give me any idea of just which size they have. Oh, and what do you mean by boomy bass? Is the bass too heavy, or is it just playing the low-end poor?

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #14 of 933
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexpea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you post some pics with you wearing them? Pics I've seen of them doens't give me any idea of just which size they have. Oh, and what do you mean by boomy bass? Is the bass too heavy, or is it just playing the low-end poor?

Check the D5000 review thread, there is a picture of skylab wearing them, same as D2000 except woody cups.
But Alex, judging by your taste you will not like them. They may be too flat and neutral for you, monitor like.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 933
Andrew, thanks for your review. Do continue to post impressions, and take some pics if you can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back