Denon AH-D1001...OMG
Aug 28, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #46 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update:

No Fiio amp for my 1001s. Most of the time it makes no appreciable difference, but sometimes it makes things worse.

Also, one annoying thing about the Denons. It relly brings out the flaws of an audio file or recording. It's much easier to tell the difference between badly recorded or encoded files with these than my other cans. I guess it's a good thing...

Good from my perspective. Means they're detailed and I do like detail... Hmm...
frown.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #47 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update:

No Fiio amp for my 1001s. Most of the time it makes no appreciable difference, but sometimes it makes things worse.

Also, one annoying thing about the Denons. It relly brings out the flaws of an audio file or recording. It's much easier to tell the difference between badly recorded or encoded files with these than my other cans. I guess it's a good thing...

Thats the first sign of a decent pair of Phones. I just check UPS. I will have mine this afternoon. I guess I'll have to break them in.
cool.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #49 of 140
Been listening to them for over an hour now. They certainly are comfortable. BUT the pleather/leather pads do hold heat, and get warm. I dont sweat easy so it should be a problem. They sound very good. By far the best 80 bucks I've spent on headphones. Now time for a lil Joyce Cooling, Sean Jones, and Norah, see how well the do with Jazz!

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #50 of 140
After recabling, the D1001'$ scale to about $500 level, leaving far behind things like the ES7. The easiest solution is to buy the HD650 cable and cut off the transducer connector to take advantage of this cable, soldered to the Denon's transducers. There are some other decent cable options as well.

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #51 of 140
I just got my D1001 in. I tried them with low-fi, mid-fi, and hi-fi sources, and with and without an amp, but not burned in yet.

First impressions are very favorable. They have a very "fun" sound... reminds me of the U-shaped frequency response curve from Bose, but not as exaggerated. The most notable inaccuracy is the overly strong bass and mid-bass. Using a low-fi source, this bass "hump" compensates for the weak amplification, resulting in a very balanced sound overall.

Plugged into my 840C + LD MKIVSE and WHOA! Thunderous bass! Bass quantity is very close to the M-Audio Q40, but not quite as punchy, nor as accurate. Fairly good space and imaging... doesn't sound as "closed-in" as other sealed headphones.

Very lightweight and comfortable. Does leak out sound slightly. Overall I think these make cans are best suited for low-fi or portable applications. The frequency response seems to be tailored toward low-fi sources like mp3 players or a laptop headphone out. Really makes the music sound very punchy.

Audiophiles need not apply, but nevertheless the clarity and resolution is impressive in this price range ($80 street price).

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #52 of 140
ounk could you please compare the D1001s and Q40s after more burn in?

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #53 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are they more comfortable than beyers?

Depends on which Beyers. The D1001 are much lighter than the full sized Beyers, but Beyers are very comfortable because of their overengineered design... very comfortable velour and nice headband.

The D1001 remind me of the Bose Triport AE in terms of form factor. Very light and comfortable.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #54 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ounk could you please compare the D1001s and Q40s after more burn in?

Definitely. I can already tell (pre - burn in) that D1001 and Q40 are very different.

The Q40 is very very accurate... the most accurate headphone I own. More accurate than Beyer DT880 and AKG K701. It sounds like a pair of studio monitor speakers. In my opinion the Q40 is everything a studio monitor should be... clear, high resolution, uncolored, and accurate. But it is not fun sounding, and it is not very comfortable. It is heavier and clamps harder than the D1001.

The D1001 has a very fun sound, but at the expense of accuracy. It sounds like a very good 2.1 computer speaker setup, with 2 satellites and a subwoofer. But it's very comfortable and very lightweight, which is good for someone like me that wears glasses.

I think the vast majority of headphone listeners would prefer the D1001 for everyday listening. Accurate headphones like the Q40 are very nice but they do tend to be sonically fatiguing after 1 or 2 hours of listening. If you wanted a pair of headphones for studio application, then it's a no-brainer ... go with the Q40.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #55 of 140
It's funny because I sold my Q40s to fund the purchase of my D2000s. And I'm now contemplating purchasing the D1001s/Live Aurvanas/Q40s again because I want a set of nice cans I can listen to in my car on lunch breaks. Just waiting for the right price point.

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #57 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldnt suggest listening in the car...

I think richierich just means he sits in his parked car during lunch breaks, and wants some decent portable headphones to make the breaks sweeter. Am I wrong, richie?

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #60 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by ounkchicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audiophiles need not apply, but nevertheless the clarity and resolution is impressive in this price range ($80 street price).

Oh contraire. I think that audiophiles will find the D1001s to be very useful - in certain situations. While I won't be trading in my AKG K701s, for rock music the D1001s are hard to beat. Plus I can take the Denons on the road - something I would dream of doing with the K701s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back