Denon AH-D1001...OMG
Aug 31, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #91 of 140
Pretty sure most IEMs are alot easier to drive than full size cans. Correct me someone if i'm wrong.

Aug 31, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #92 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty sure most IEMs are alot easier to drive than full size cans. Correct me someone if i'm wrong.

Depends on the ohm-age of them. As a lot of high and mid-end headphones have high ohm-age then yes, they are harder to drive than IEMs that typically have low ohm-age. Some full size cans, such as the Audio Technica AD700's have low ohmage (32 ohms) thus are easy to drive.

Aug 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #94 of 140
thanks chinese
smily_headphones1.gif

dopeboyfresh, you can use canare L-4e6s starquad, mogami quad cable (or their mini versions) or something more expensive. Mogami is really nice for it's price which is what i used.

You can get either of those at markertek.com or redco.com. There's other options these are just very commonly used ones.

Aug 31, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #95 of 140
Re-cabling, eh? My thread on whether or not re-cabling works didn't get very far. The poll results were Snake-oil > Bona-fide, but the comments didn't sound like many people actually did any testing.

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #96 of 140
For headphones I'm very skeptical of recabling. There are a few phenomena associated with them... skin effect, internal resistance, but in my experience all that matters is choosing a reasonable quality cable of the right capacity. I'll spend enough to get good quality copper etc, but I'm not going to buy into some infused water sleeving or hyper-braided designs.

There are very, very subtle differences between different materials etc, but I've never really heard these as improving or detrimenting sound.

Headphone cables are less important than speaker cable in my opinion. Some of the cables I've seen are woefully inadequate, e.g. the Senn HD580/600 stock. Some are fine e.g. Grado / Philips 895 / Senn 280.

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #97 of 140
I'm sceptical (pardon the British spelling. They were in my country* for...a long time) about a lot of this stuff in general: re-cabling, burning in, even amps. It's not that I don't think there will be some difference or improvement. It's just that I don't think there will be enough difference for most people to discern. But so far, my opinions are non-empirical. So, like a good scientist, I bought a pair of cans famous for needing burn-in, and I have a DAC/amp coming. We'll see, then. So far, I think my D1001s are improving with age, but I'm not too committed to the belief, to be honest.

*Malaysia, not NZ. There's still here in NZ...

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #98 of 140
There is more sense in recabling than adding the amp with the stock cable. You'll get better bass control and unveiled midrange. Burn-in of course helps these headphones to attenuate the bass and make sound more open but as long as you stay with the stock cable, the bottleneck of these headphones is right there. Of couse, they sound their best with well matched desktop rig, and some of my friends rate them above K701 or HD600, HD650, equal with E9 and GS1000 but you have to treat them as hi-end - build your rig with attention and patience. For "just great" sound a decent mp3 player (iPod Nano 1st gen. is a good match) and the HD650 Cable (or some others, not necessarily available outside Europe) is enough. These headphones are more efficient than Grados, so the amp is not obligatory, a better cable is... you simply have to hear.
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #99 of 140
majkel's a big advocate for re-cabling, and is especially enthusiastic with the D1001s. I do have to hear, and 'till then I'll suspend judgement over whether re-cabling "works", but maintain a healthy scepticism befitting of a research scientist.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #100 of 140
so head-fi has done it again.

I am ordering my d1001k tomorrow from buy.com after today's perusal.
I wasn't even in the market for new phones but this will be my first real pair of closed cans. (I had BOSE triport around-ear but those aren't anything special).

P.S. would I benefit in purchasing a Fiio to power these through a 5.5g ipod and sansa clip 2gb?

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #102 of 140
Actually that's pretty subjective. If you're a basshead you'd like the fiio with the denons. When i'm in the mood, i plug it in and play some club bangers. It's fun and i enjoy it, however sufficient without the fiio for my tastes most of the time.

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #104 of 140
I find it good and so do others...so again it's subjective.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #105 of 140
So in your experience the bass is improved, not just magnified? 'Cos I'll agree on the magnification. It's also potentially a burn-in/lack of burn-in thing. The mids are slightly recessed on the 1001s, and burn in (is supposed to) improve that situation. So, I can imagine that if the Fiio boosts bass, on a newish D1001, it'll overpower the mids even more. But this might not be an issue with older sets, which then allows greater appreciation of the added bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back