Denon AH-D1001 build quality?
Jul 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bostock73

New Head-Fier
I picked up some D501s today. I understand they are cheaper than the AH-D1001s, but the feel of them was awful. Really plasticy, the earcups and pads were really tough. The whole thing felt very fragile and extremely cheap - despite the £60 price tag.

How do the AH-D1001s feel? Are they dead plasticy, and horrible?
Or do they have a nice weight and feel solid?

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 13
It's definitely not a kind of headphone that I'd toss around without worry (like I can with my HD25 or K271), but I wouldn't say it feels overly fragile.  It's light and is all plastic, but I never worried that they'll snap at a certain place or anything.  For modest home use I'd say it's more than solid enough.

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 13
It's not really the fragility of it that worries me, it's paying £100 for something that feels really cheap.
I'm comparing them to my Bose Triports around ear. They have a solid construction.

Is the 1001 solid-feeling?

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 13
If Triport is your base reference, then I can say that the D1001 pretty much has similar build construction (maybe even slightly better; I'd say the headband's more sturdy).

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 13
If isolation is a major concern, I'd say away from D1001.  It's not even as good as the Triports and I'd discourage these for any sort of isolation needs.  In contrast, M50's will bring you much better isolation AND is very sturdy so I'd actually say it's a better fit for you, as long as your willing to sacrifice slight amount of comfort (these aren't uncomfortable, but definitely not at D1001 or Triport level).

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 13
The Denons are definitely not good enough for bus/train use.  It may block out TV noise with enough volume in your music, but that'd result in you cranking up the volume which I don't recommend... it's better to go with M50 in this case.  They're superior sounding as well IMO, although the gap is not that large.

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
It's not really the fragility of it that worries me, it's paying £100 for something that feels really cheap.
I'm comparing them to my Bose Triports around ear. They have a solid construction.

Is the 1001 solid-feeling?

I had a listening session with both and in my ratings I had the Denons as far more solid than the Bose. The plastics feel thicker, the headband more solid and secure and in the Bose I could see half of a sticky label poking out of the cup next to the driver. If you check out Bose reviews on Amazon there are complaints of build which are not there with the Denons. From a different listening session I would rate the D501s as one the worst headphones I have ever listened to. I far preferred the Senn HD201.

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 13
Thank you Prog.

I think I'm going to go with the 1001s.

I hope i don't regret it.

Is the difference (in terms of overall sound quality) night and day between the Bose Triport AE and the 1001s?

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #12 of 13
This is what I posted in a thread on the B&W P5s

"I had a spare hour today and spent it with the P5s, Bose over ear and Denon AH D1001. Listening was out of an ipod touch at a listening station in a quiet shop. I used tracks I know well by U2, Queen and The Who. 

Build quality; P5 (by miles) > Denon > Bose
Comfort; P5 > Denon = Bose
Price; Bose = Denon > P5 (twice the price than the others)
SQ; P5 = Bose = Denon

Each headphone sounded better with a different track and each had its strengths and weaknesses. The P5s have the fullest sound, but treble sounds muffled compared to both Denon and Bose with The Who 'Substitute', the Bose was best. The P5s made U2s 'Streets with no Name' very dramatic and the Denons won with their clarity with Queen's 'Don't Stop Me Now'."

So no night and day between either headphone.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 13
My teenage daughter has been carrying my D1001s around for a few months now to use with her iPod. She's not particularly gentle with them- just tosses them in her handbag- and they've held up fine; they seem to be well built despite their light weight. She loves the sound and the comfort (I find them just a tad muddy in the bass and ever so slightly dull in the treble but basically pretty good, and they really are incredibly comfortable for on-ear cans, with earpads that are like soft pillows.) Forget about isolation though, they might as well be open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back