Denon AH-C710, AH-C360 and AH-NC600 ANC
Jul 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #33 of 106
I see that Denon has continued its tradition of screwing UK customers. AMP3 has them for £139.99 (US$230), which is just absurd.

Silver C710 looks sexy, but could do without that white cord.

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #34 of 106
Yeah, I have a cheap freebie Denon(C700 style) that is silver with a white cord. Not so hot looking. The white cord kills it. Silver with black cord, black tips, and the black DENON logo would have swayed me.

I got a shipment email. They should be here tomorrow.

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #35 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I have a cheap freebie Denon(C700 style) that is silver with a white cord. Not so hot looking. The white cord kills it. Silver with black cord, black tips, and the black DENON logo would have swayed me.

I got a shipment email. They should be here tomorrow.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!! especially after a bit of 'burn in' , as the ones I had were out of the box. Ohh and don't forget to turn that volume dial down. Those they are way too efficient haha!

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #36 of 106
Yep, it was time to try a Denon. I know the C700/751 needed a bunch of burn-in. I found this...http://www.usa.denon.com/AH-C710_Lit624.pdf
Apparently these come with a pair of Comply's. At least that is what they look like. Later down in the PDF is a pic straight on from the side. Quite handsome looking little things. I like the plain stealth black look without any insert or logo.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #37 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that Denon has continued its tradition of screwing UK customers. AMP3 has them for £139.99 (US$230), which is just absurd.

Silver C710 looks sexy, but could do without that white cord.

x2 about the price, tehy can go feck themselves

as for that pdf it looks like these arent being positioned abouve the C751, and denon usa are rrp them $50 lower than the C751 on thier website. prety and shiney yes but denons not getting my money at that price

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #38 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the bass is rather strong and goes deeper than my IE8 as well with a sense of reverberation and definition just like the FX500s.

That would makes them appear to be somewhat similar to the Audio Technica CKS70. How much bass impact do the C710 have in comparison to the IE8?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 about the price, tehy can go feck themselves

as for that pdf it looks like these arent being positioned abouve the C751, and denon usa are rrp them $50 lower than the C751 on thier website. prety and shiney yes but denons not getting my money at that price

Denon | AH-C710 In-Ear Stereo Headphones (Black) | AH-C710K

B&H Photo has them for USD$99.95. And shipping to Scotland is USD$50.60 via 3-5 day delivery. Not cheap but still cheaper than AMP3 I guess.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #39 of 106
yeah the $99 is decent value but $50 to post???

nope they not getting my money either, at present exchange rates these should be around £60. any price significantly more than that i wouldnt pay on principle, im not going to reward a company for price gouging

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #40 of 106
The C710 are also $83.99 at Beach Audio.Denon Ah-c710k : Headphones
Having had both the C710 and RE0, I would say go for the Denon even at the $99. These would be the opposite of the RE0 with a lean toward the low end/mids emphasis and a larger soundstage.

The new design is nice. Reminds me of the UM2 how they just pop in when using silicone tips. The come with one pair of Comply T-400 also. Quite rubbery sticky tips that give excellent isolation. Very good canalphone isolation and similar to the Westone with silicone. The mouth of the tips is very wide same as the Sennheiser tips which helps with the image size. I do not like other tips and think the stock tips are the best for them.

They are pretty huge. Not counting the tube the housing is 15mm long and 12mm thick in the larger center portion housing the driver. They will fit easier than a Shure or some other large body earphones but they stick out. From pictures it would seem that they will certainly stick out less than the C700/751 though and also less than UE's first design does. Very comfy and secure fit though. A very thin light cable with a Y split that is one foot after the plug then two more feet to the earphones. This does seem to help with the microphonics. The cord draw is more useful to keep the phones from tangling since the microphonics increase with the cable tightened.

Some thoughts a few hours out of the box. So far I agree with HONEYBOY about them being sensitive. An impedance adapter is recommended for something that hisses. I have tested with one(the P->S) and it works well. First the .7 meter cord becomes a nice length with the adapter cable and the impedance is low enough. Or keeping your files at 89dB gain should work well. I have 4 players, three don't hiss and the other has gain control within the custom EQ so hiss can be controlled.

I also agree that they have nice detail and some high quality mids that are slightly forward. The treble is well controlled but I don't hear so much treble energy. Less than a Phonak or RE0. Less than an ER4P/S or CK10. The treble(out of the box) is nearly identical to the AI-M9. Quite apparent, out in front/not laid back on the high end. Not extended as an RE0 or a Triple.fi is on the high end. They might be more "aggressive" only versus IE8 or FX500. I think on the whole spectrum they are in the middle with some phones being more aggressive and some not. I find them just enough to be lively but still warm, smooth, and well behaved/not crossing into harshness or sibilance.

I don't really agree with HONEYBOY that these are not for everyone. Of course any earphone will not be for literally everyone but in the context that these are not strictly in one camp or the other but in the middle. These are not PFE/REO/ETY/ADDIEM nor Atrio/EB/FX500. I think the C710 will please a majority of the people. The price is good. They do well in trying to mimic a headphone sound with good handling of reverb, good imaging/distance cues, and a big sound. The bass is strong but extremely well behaved. I think it will be enough satisfy those who like more bass but it is handled well and still won't offend those who prefer neutral. The treble is evident and detailed, neither very extended or rolled off that much, which being in the middle will satisfy more people than not. I also think everyone will like the mids which are just forward enough and some of the best and good with both male and female vocals. I would make an earphone like this if I wanted it to appeal to the most people. Good at everything and not too much/or too little of any one thing.

I'm off to use them a bit and get some more burn in on them.

So far:
The Pros
-Really good sound and looks, good fit and comfort.
-Nice build quality.
-Good accessory pack.
-Good price( in the US at least).

The Negatives
-Cord length(.7 meter plus .8 meter extension). Might depend on preference for length and the added weight when/if using the extension can bother some.
-Cord tangles more than other earphones.
-Hiss may be a problem depending on source

Here is one other review that comes up on Google.
Denon AH-C710 earphones review - Digital Lifestyle - Macworld UK

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #41 of 106
How well do these block out noise? I'm looking to get a pair of iems for the school year coming up. I've been using sennheiser cx300 for a while now and they sound horrible, but I found their isolation just right for me.

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #42 of 106
Hi there Jant71 really great first impressions there! I have certainly learned a lot from your post. So am gathering that you don't think they have too much treble energy compared to other phones. This is rather interesting and goes to show how one's idea of what is too much depends on prior experience. I don't currently have my c700s but have been using the IE8 and FX500 extensively and as you rightly indicated the c710 is more 'aggressive' treble energy-wise than these two haha.

Yea the mids were really nice. I await your further 'burn in' impressions!!

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #43 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by steven_1026 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How well do these block out noise? I'm looking to get a pair of iems for the school year coming up. I've been using sennheiser cx300 for a while now and they sound horrible, but I found their isolation just right for me.

I had the CX95 and the Denon beat them for isolation. The Comply's would give a bit more isolation. I would guess slightly more isolation than the CX300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back