Denon AH-7200
Nov 7, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #2,971 of 3,155
That would be nice, thanks :)

Maybe not the best test track, cause it has only short bursts of double bass in it, but I rarely listen to heavier music anyway. So I don't need more than that.
I think the solo part at around 3:20 is best to test it. Edit: Also the ending, at around 5:25, less guitars

@krenky
Thanks to you too. I read the last 30sh pages now, and these headphones are pretty much what I was searching for (if it passes the double bass test :p).

And if I may ask, any experience with movies and/or games with this set?

Nice track.
Thanks for that. :)

For headphone stress testing, I'd always recommend
Wintersun - Sons of winter and stars

A somewhat long b*d*ss track, but it covers the whole range of metal related sounds in one, except high pitched female vocals ^^. :beyersmile:

The real thing is, is the headphone driver able to manage acceptable double bass within busier passages of a song without "smearing" or fading.

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #2,973 of 3,155
Question for you guys, have we found anything that beat these basswise? I haven’t bothered to try other cans since i got these.
Fostex TH 900 MK2 and probably the older Fostex row like AH-D5000 because they were still using the old Foster drivers.
Maybe E-Mu Teak as well.

Edit: Totally forgot about Skullcandy Crusher. These sound absolutely horrible in any other area but the bass is really mindblowing.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #2,974 of 3,155
Question for you guys, have we found anything that beat these basswise? I haven’t bothered to try other cans since i got these.
Quality wise D9200 already surpass the bass of D7200. It's tighter and slightly better extended, but D7200 bass sounds bigger yet still manages not to overshwadow mids.

Enjoyment wise D7200 is the top pick for me and has the most head time. Never gets tiring and still very detailed headset which can be tuned to a reference sound if needed.

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #2,975 of 3,155
Fostex TH 900 MK2 and probably the older Fostex row like AH-D5000 because they were still using the old Foster drivers.
Maybe E-Mu Teak as well.

Edit: Totally forgot about Skullcandy Crusher. These sound absolutely horrible in any other area but the bass is really mindblowing.
Had/have te fostex and emu lines :frowning2:
Thanks though.

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #2,976 of 3,155
Quality wise D9200 already surpass the bass of D7200. It's tighter and slightly better extended, but D7200 bass sounds bigger yet still manages not to overshwadow mids.

Enjoyment wise D7200 is the top pick for me and has the most head time. Never gets tiring and still very detailed headset which can be tuned to a reference sound if needed.
Based on the reviews i always assumed the 9200 had lees bass, and more treble.
Thanks.

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #2,977 of 3,155
Thanks.

Based on the frequency response graph you are right. The 7200 seems to have a stronger measured bass.
But the thing is that a frequency response graph isn't always telling the full truth especially when it comes to imaging or soundstage for example.

Attachments

• D7200.jpg
    D7200.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 0
  • D9200.jpg
    D9200.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #2,978 of 3,155
Thanks.

Bass quantity and quality can differ. Yes D7200 punches harder, but D9200 feels tighter, especially in subbass region.

Nov 8, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #2,979 of 3,155
Based on the frequency response graph you are right. The 7200 seems to have a stronger measured bass.
But the thing is that a frequency response graph isn't always telling the full truth especially when it comes to imaging or soundstage for example.
This is true100% i’ve seen graphs measuring entirety opposite of my hearing. Biocells seem to suffer from this the most.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #2,981 of 3,155
Anybody had a chance to try D7200 on some vintage amps?

From all the modern amps I have tried I like them most on my PMA-800 (combining with EQ).
I can feel that power presence in bass region but overall sound is just more enjoyable comparing the rest I have tried.
All these modern amps sound too perfect to me but I think they lack of musicality / soul of the music.
Looking to try some proper vintage amplifier for these soon.

I also found this interesting video about that:

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #2,982 of 3,155
Anybody had a chance to try D7200 on some vintage amps?

From all the modern amps I have tried I like them most on my PMA-800 (combining with EQ).
I can feel that power presence in bass region but overall sound is just more enjoyable comparing the rest I have tried.
All these modern amps sound too perfect to me but I think they lack of musicality / soul of the music.
Looking to try some proper vintage amplifier for these soon.

I also found this interesting video about this:

I use the d7200 on my tube amp and it sounds awesome. Much better than my ss amp.

I think i agree with you, it sounds too clean, too perfect. Needs some harmonic distortion:)

The bass is even more accentuated on the tube amp and the luscious oozing decay. It nice, i like.

1000005832.jpg

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #2,983 of 3,155
I use the d7200 on my tube amp and it sounds awesome. Much better than my ss amp.

I think i agree with you, it sounds too clean, too perfect. Needs some harmonic distortion:)

The bass is even more accentuated on the tube amp and the luscious oozing decay. It nice, i like.

1000005832.jpg

Definitely quite big difference! It makes me enjoy the music much more... total addiction.
Just made me think that the amp might be the reason why I am so high praising these headphones over here.

I can see why some users don't like them... without the right fiddling with setup or EQ their sound might be just ordinary.

Good DAC with vintage sounding amp is the right direction to go with these.... Go figure :)

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #2,984 of 3,155
Hi, I can buy this headphones for about 300€, I m a grado lover but often I need a closed back headphones, the only I use at the moment is a hyperx cloud orbit (audeze mobius rebranding) but they are too uncomfortable. Do you recommend these denon?

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #2,985 of 3,155
Hi, I can buy this headphones for about 300€, I m a grado lover but often I need a closed back headphones, the only I use at the moment is a hyperx cloud orbit (audeze mobius rebranding) but they are too uncomfortable. Do you recommend these denon?

Headband is an issue for many, but I find them quite comfy. D7200 is warmer headphone so you might miss that treble sparkle of Grados. To me D7200 produces analog type of sound which is still technical and can be further improved with a bit of EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back