Denon AH-7200
Oct 30, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #2,941 of 3,166
Aside from the extreme pressure I felt on the top on my head when I briefly tried the 7200s, I didn't like their sound register... When I was listening with them I was always thinking in the 9200s, which I had at the same time... I should have given them more time, but my head would appear beside the ones @dougms3 posted above... :fearful:

Oct 30, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #2,942 of 3,166
Aside from the extreme pressure I felt on the top on my head when I briefly tried the 7200s, I didn't like their sound register... When I was listening with them I was always thinking in the 9200s, which I had at the same time... I should have given them more time, but my head would appear beside the ones @dougms3 posted above... :fearful:
D9200 is arguably one of the best headphones out there.

I think the tonality on that headphone is superior to the d7200 amongst a few other things.

With that said, it just doesn't come close in the bass dept.

But either one will drill a hole through the top of large heads. Its an easy fix though, just get a headband cover, no further holes in the head :)

Oct 30, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #2,943 of 3,166
For such budget I expect nothing more than perfection (custom personal tuning should be provided for such prices).
lol to be honest, I haven't find perfection yet. Most headphone tend to be good at something and not so good at something else.

Generally speaking I find open back have less "issues" but closed back is very hard to tune it that well across all the frequencies. So I compensate by using synergy from dac/amp pairing lol.
By the way for a good closed backs I would look into Kennerton Rognir / Dynamic, GH50. For me good closed back must have wooden cups.
Oh I keep hearing good things about them but it's hard to find in Canada.

So I never put tooo much emphasis on them yet but definitely will keep an eye out for it.
In case you get a chance to compare properly D7200 vs Lawton TH900 then share all details in here. I was considering Lawton but since I already have D7000 and I like them a lot in their stock form (with some EQ) settings I wont be getting them. Those old classics like Denons, Fostex, EMU are great but they are a bit older now and think the latest dynamic drivers are more technical and mainly faster which can be beneficial when listening to some complex tracks. I can hear this when comparing D7000 vs D7200, technical abilities are one level higher.
In general the D5200 / D7200 / D9200 line definitely is more refined than the Fostex / Old Denon line. Like to me D5200 is perfect tuning out of the box. Only problem is that the D5200 / D7200 / D9200 line is more closed than the Fostex / Old Denon counter part.

So as a result the Fostex / Old Denon do sound more open and less boxed in.

Lawton TH900 excel in scale I think. Everything just sound large / grand. Issue is that it's pretty source picky and ear pad picky LOL. I had to pad roll for a few weeks until I find something I like.

I use Lawton TH900 with Dekoni TH900 pad + attenuation ring, my friend likes the TH610 pad on them. So if you don't mind experiment then I think Lawton TH900 has potential. Normally the circular ear pad allow more volume which has better technicality, trade off is that usually mess with the mids. The "D" shaped pads generally has better tuning but less resolving the the "O" shaped pads.

But just straight out of the box with no tweak at all I find D5200 / D7200 / D9200 generally tend to be more agreeable.
On the other side these oldies still have amazing vintage sound that is so addictive. That's the reason I still keep the D7000.
I had a D7000 which was pretty good out of the box too. But I still find nothing can match the scale of Lawton TH900.

Though it really depends on use case, most of the time the music doesn't demand that size. So I'd say a lot of the time D7000 is big enough in scale.

I watch action movies on computer so Lawton TH900 helps with the BWAAAAAAAAAAAA. :joy:

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #2,944 of 3,166
D9200 is arguably one of the best headphones out there.

I think the tonality on that headphone is superior to the d7200 amongst a few other things.

With that said, it just doesn't come close in the bass dept.

But either one will drill a hole through the top of large heads. Its an easy fix though, just get a headband cover, no further holes in the head :)
I had no issues with the 9200s headband, and I owned one pair for around a year... Only the first week I noticed a little spot on my head which disappeared with time... With the 7200s the spot was no little at all :rolling_eyes: :fearful:

Oct 31, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #2,945 of 3,166
I had no issues with the 9200s headband, and I owned one pair for around a year... Only the first week I noticed a little spot on my head which disappeared with time... With the 7200s the spot was no little at all :rolling_eyes: :fearful:
From what I noticed is that D9200 Denon was smart to make it "A" shape.

What I mean is that instead of a circular curve, they make it pointy like the roof of a house.

So instead of 1 single hot spot in the middle, you get 2 more even spots left and right. When I used to own D5200 and D9200, I always thought D9200 as more comfortable even thought D5200 has more padding.

Theoretically you can probably bend the D7200 headband to shape like D9200 headband (pointy at the top). But do it at your own discretion lol.

Nov 1, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #2,946 of 3,166
Basically adding +1db and up to +2.5db depending on tastes within 500hz up to 20khz range brings D7200 very close to D9200. It resolves just as well as stock D9200 with bigger midbass impact which is easy to EQ down to D9200 levels. Only downside of D7200 is that it's a bit slower and lacking top tier bass quality of D9200, but in return you get exciting and not tiring listening sessions

Denons really nailed with both of these releases. D7200 needs a bit of EQ to sound best while D9200 sounds amazing in it's stock form. D9200 may require warmer source for treble sensitive folks as I find this HP sometimes a bit too much in treble with "white" filter set on Qutest

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #2,947 of 3,166
So, I was watching some headphone reviews as usual and noticed some interesting info. The review was for one of the ZMF's headphones and it said something interesting.
The reviewer said that these headphones are really great but he also noticed that they suffer with complex music especially orchestral one. He mentioned that when for example Jurassic Park OST was playing he noticed in busy passages that the driver was not quick enough and he could hear this clearly.

It gave me a good idea to test my EQed D7200 properly with similar stuff. I have spent the last couple of days listening to quite a lot of orchestral music and soundtracks. By the way, stuff like Edward Scissorhands, The Ring, Jurassic Park, Predator sound just amazing in lossless quality. Those instruments all have just fantastic timbre and the overall experience is full of emotions. Anyway, I tried to pay attention especially to the complex passages but I really have not noticed any struggle in the D7200's drivers. Not only were these sequences handled superbly but I also noticed that the drivers perhaps still have space to get into more faster and complex stuff. I guess this might be also due to their proper amplification as my Denon PMA-800 provided a lot of authority and does a fantastic job.

I am sure they are way better headphones, especially the planar ones that are better suited for this kind of music and complexity. But this is not first time that I heard about some high end headphones that do struggle with fast and complex music or with the correct timbre. For me the D7200 are great in both of these areas plus if you consider the addictive bass quality / texture these headphones are really phenomenal.

They are really my obsession now although I have something else coming soon I am sure I will keep getting back to them regularly.

If you guys get a chance to test D7200 with similar music please share your experience.

Happy Listening :)

Nov 1, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2,948 of 3,166
I don't find that either D7200 or D9200 needs lots of juice. Yes they sound best on my desktop setup, but Mojo2 gets them very close and even my old macbook air drives them efficiently. Actually one of the biggest advantage of warmer D7200 tuning is that you can plug them into anything and they will sound nice. For reference sound just slightly boost treble and you are golden.

The stage size is actually very decent for a closed back and I find it on par with HD650.

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #2,949 of 3,166
Has anyone listen to faster metal music with this headphones? Are they fast enough (for example double bass parts)?
Also, is the bass performance too strong for this kind of music?

I don't like bright headphones, so I'm very interested in this one.

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #2,950 of 3,166
Has anyone listen to faster metal music with this headphones? Are they fast enough (for example double bass parts)?

The D7200 can handle very fast music no problem especially with enough power.
But if you are after total speed dynamic driver then I would also consider Kennerton Magni / GH50, Focals, headphones with beryllium drivers.
Also 40mm drivers should be faster than 50mm drivers. These things are good to consider for speed requirements.

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #2,951 of 3,166
The D7200 can handle very fast music no problem especially with enough power.
But if you are after total speed dynamic driver then I would also consider Kennerton Magni / GH50, Focals, headphones with beryllium drivers.
Also 40mm drivers should be faster than 50mm drivers. These things are good to consider for speed requirements.

Thanks for the fast response!
Unfortunately those headphones are hard to get in my country (or way too expensive). Since I'm not listening to fast metal all the time, I think the Denon will be fine too :)

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #2,952 of 3,166
Thanks for the fast response!
Unfortunately those headphones are hard to get in my country (or way too expensive). Since I'm not listening to fast metal all the time, I think the Denon will be fine too :)

I wrote about D7200 extensively in this thread. They are amazing and I am sure you will be happy with them. If you like Denon then also check the MM400.
They are smaller, cheaper and faster. Their tuning is reference like, pretty balanced and very detailed... its like portable D9200.

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #2,953 of 3,166

The d7200 is one of the fastest dynamics I've heard.

If you have a track for me to demo, i can test it out.

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #2,954 of 3,166
The d7200 is one of the fastest dynamics I've heard.

If you have a track for me to demo, i can test it out.
That would be nice, thanks :)

Maybe not the best test track, cause it has only short bursts of double bass in it, but I rarely listen to heavier music anyway. So I don't need more than that.
I think the solo part at around 3:20 is best to test it. Edit: Also the ending, at around 5:25, less guitars

@krenky
Thanks to you too. I read the last 30sh pages now, and these headphones are pretty much what I was searching for (if it passes the double bass test :p).

And if I may ask, any experience with movies and/or games with this set?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #2,955 of 3,166
That would be nice, thanks :)

Maybe not the best test track, cause it has only short bursts of double bass in it, but I rarely listen to heavier music anyway. So I don't need more than that.
I think the solo part at around 3:20 is best to test it. Edit: Also the ending, at around 5:25, less guitars

@krenky
Thanks to you too. I read the last 30sh pages now, and these headphones are pretty much what I was searching for (if it passes the double bass test :p).

And if I may ask, any experience with movies and/or games with this set?

Wow really nice song to demonstrate double bass.

Seems to handle the speed pretty well. Really nice imaging with the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back