Denon AH-7200
Oct 31, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #2,266 of 3,167
I already reported on my initial impressions of the 7200. After two weeks I’m digging the 7200 immensely. These are some smooth operator. They trick you and you end up listening to them for hours and hours and hours. I love the smooth detailed sound with perfect bass and the highs are not tiring at all. I mainly listen to classical orquestral music but these headphones work wonders with chamber music, pop, rock and jazz as well. Also I really find them very comfortable and wear them all day long with the present teleworking. The headband is fine for me, so I’m lucky. Sometimes I feel the conflictive point in the headband but pressing it seems to work perfectly for me as someone recommended in this forum, and it also seems to happen less and less everyday.
I am continually changing from
-the stock cable to connect to my 20 year old Denon classic stereo PMA-1500R, here they really sound extraordinary. I have bought an extension 3 meter cable that I need for the room and I have not noticed any sound degradation. With the classic amp the bass and subbass is sooooo good! These headphones are easy to drive but they also shine with power! This is my favorite sound of all but mainly for concentrated listening and less practical than the others.
-the balanced connection to my A&K SR25. I ended up buying the Meze balanced cable since it was inmediately available and could return it if not pleased. Also the Beyerdynamic cable was not so easy to get. I’m keeping the Meze. Initialy it sounded slightly brighter to me but either that has changed or I have become used to it. Anyway, to my ears the SR25 sounds not only louder but also better out of the balanced output. This dap has double the output in balanced and you can feel it. Again the 7200 love power. with the Sr25 it is a match made in heaaven.
-a 1,2 meter 3,5 cable that I bought from Amazon and that I connect to my Ipad for Youtube and to my Sony Nwa-55L with MrWalksmann (a genius) firmware. The combination with the Sonys is excellent and with the Ipad not bad at all.
For longer time users, do you ever have any problems with the 3,5 connections on the headphones? I’m worried I will end up breaking them by frequent changes.
I have no idea if burning exists or if it is the user’s impression but to my ears the 7200 sound better after these two weeks. Somehow the gap with my other headphones seems to widen. I have been doing some tests with piano pieces. One of the most difficult things in music reproduction I believe and they sound just great. My daughter plays piano and we have a decent electrical Yamaha piano at home. The recorded piano pieces on the headphones sound pretty good, in my opinion excellent.
The 7200 are my endgame headphones, I hope for years! I do not have experience with other higher end headphones, but compared with my Sennheiser HD599 detail, bass and isolation is so much better. Compared with my old Ah-D900 the sound is softer and the bass much more controlled. I still have to find my favourite iems, but that’s another story.

To wrap it all, the 7200 are very fotogenic! Sorry I cannot avoid posting a pic. I include a pic of the 7200 with the Sr25 connected with the Meze cable. Grandpa Ah-D900 from 1988 by the side (these are not getting much use nowadays, that is the only downside of the grandson arrival).

I agree, these are incredibly easy to drive. For me they are 2nd in efficiency only to my th900, but the d7200 win on sound. As for an iem, have you tried the Ie800s? I consider them my mini denons.

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #2,271 of 3,167
Ohhhhh, fantastic. I think I need this cable to connect my Beyer Amiron Home to my Kann Alpha. Will it be the same warm sound as my Amiron?. Best regards.
MMmm I don't know, this cable keeps the warm sound (iam not saying dull or not detailed) of the original D7200 cable so I think so. But I have no experience with the beyer amiron.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #2,272 of 3,167
Two accesories for my 7200
Following the advice of the interesting review of the 9200 https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/denon-ah-d9200.24748/reviews by Subguy812, I have bought a case for the 7200. At least in my country it is not advertised as working for the Denon hps. They do fit perfectly.
The case is DN8PRO-XL from Accesory House https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07DBC4JRH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It Is certainly nicer than the other case I have for my Sennheiser HD599 which is a Geekria model that looks cheper even though it was actually more expensive. This one looks better, stronger and even prettier (or less ugly) than the Geekria. I include pics.

Also following advice from someone on this forum, I have ordered the Dekoni pads, Dekoni Audio Elite Hybrid Earpads for Fostex TH900 Headphones - EPZ-TH900-HYB × 1. These also fit perfectly. There is a useful video in YouTube explaining how to change pads for 7200
To my ears there is no noticeable sound difference (maybe it’s just me, I must stress!) and the pads are really confortable. They are covered with velour on the side that touches your skin (wonderful) and sheepskin on the outside and inner parts.
I have Dekoni leather pads for my Sony wh1000xm3 and they are more confortabe, nicer to the touch, and, important in my country, less hot than the synthetic leather. The Dekoni pads for the Denon are even more confortable with the velour. I hope they will also be less warm for the summertime. One thing I was missing of my Sennheiser HD599 was the velour, now with these hybrid pads apparently you get the advantage of velour, nice touch and feel, with the advantage of leather, isolation.
Also include pics. Good purchases!

B8A812E6-7C22-486F-8566-51779641E945.jpeg

AB19D778-DE7B-4FDA-B415-84E4D92183E9.jpeg

D16282E4-70BC-4B14-92E8-4E68B4622810.jpeg

AC1F3D98-A79E-4CFC-BB21-384C5C2D3CA4.jpeg

Nov 7, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #2,273 of 3,167
I also agree that with crinacle that the tuning is a little wonky. I'm really glad he's uploaded a graph here:
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/denon-ah-d7200/

I was really perplexed trying to eq the treble by hand, but hopefully this will be a good guide going forward. I think I'll try to tune it similar to the EMU Teak. (Though something I have never actually heard.)

Despite it's wonkyness, I do enjoy it though. It's been in the shop for awhile, but I think I prefer it to my Ananda's despite them in many sense being the "objectively" better headphone on multiple fronts. This is probably influenced a lot by my preferred genres though.

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #2,274 of 3,167
I have the Denon AH-D7200 in my possession now for little over three months, and I'm very happy with it. I'm very fond of electronic music with very low frequency bass, as well as jazz, but I also listen to pop music such as Queen (obviously), Michael Jackson, and reggae music such as Bob Marley (of course) or UB40. The Denon AH-D7200 has performed very well on this wide range of music genres.

However, due to the relatively low impedance of the headphones, I found it quite hard to find a suitable portable DAC to go along with this headphone. Actually my aim was to find a headphone for usage on the road. But the more I come to know the AH-D7200, the more I begin to realize that it is mostly made for at-home listening.

I have saved up quite some extra money to be able to buy the much appraised chord mojo portable DAC. According to the reviews, that should be the very best portable DAC. Also, according to the specs of the Chord Mojo, the impedance of 24 ohm should be no problem.
However, when I combined the AH-D7200 with the Chord Mojo, it wasn't exactly the magical combination I hoped it was going to be. The Chord Mojo sounded very neutral, which is obviously not a bad thing. However, I didn't get the feeling to be enveloped by the music. The whole sound could have sounded more spaceous.

I have compared the Denon with a headphone with a much higher impedance, and it seemed to do a better job with that headphone.

So for the people considering combining the Chord Mojo and the Denon AH-D7200: think carefully wether there maybe isn't another combination of very a nice headphone with a very nice DAC that are a bit more suited for each other. Whilst I'm still happy with my products, I think that if I had spent my total of 1400 dollars a bit more cautiously, I might have ended up with a set that sounded just a little better.

But I'm just a beginner in the hifi-world. And again, I'm still very pleased with the quality the two devices are delivering. Although it is not that magical as I had hoped it to be.

Nov 11, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #2,275 of 3,167
I have the Denon AH-D7200 in my possession now for little over three months, and I'm very happy with it. I'm very fond of electronic music with very low frequency bass, as well as jazz, but I also listen to pop music such as Queen (obviously), Michael Jackson, and reggae music such as Bob Marley (of course) or UB40. The Denon AH-D7200 has performed very well on this wide range of music genres.

However, due to the relatively low impedance of the headphones, I found it quite hard to find a suitable portable DAC to go along with this headphone. Actually my aim was to find a headphone for usage on the road. But the more I come to know the AH-D7200, the more I begin to realize that it is mostly made for at-home listening.

I have saved up quite some extra money to be able to buy the much appraised chord mojo portable DAC. According to the reviews, that should be the very best portable DAC. Also, according to the specs of the Chord Mojo, the impedance of 24 ohm should be no problem.
However, when I combined the AH-D7200 with the Chord Mojo, it wasn't exactly the magical combination I hoped it was going to be. The Chord Mojo sounded very neutral, which is obviously not a bad thing. However, I didn't get the feeling to be enveloped by the music. The whole sound could have sounded more spaceous.

I have compared the Denon with a headphone with a much higher impedance, and it seemed to do a better job with that headphone.

So for the people considering combining the Chord Mojo and the Denon AH-D7200: think carefully wether there maybe isn't another combination of very a nice headphone with a very nice DAC that are a bit more suited for each other. Whilst I'm still happy with my products, I think that if I had spent my total of 1400 dollars a bit more cautiously, I might have ended up with a set that sounded just a little better.

But I'm just a beginner in the hifi-world. And again, I'm still very pleased with the quality the two devices are delivering. Although it is not that magical as I had hoped it to be.
I love all of your pop music! even though nowadays I listen mainly to classical. I completely agree the 7200 are excellent in different genres. I am also relatively new to this hobby, so more experienced folks please correct me if I’m wrong. I also love the 7200 but I do not see them as portable but rather as home 🎧 . I carry them around my home but I wouldn’t carry them on the street. I use them with my Denon stereo and also with portable gear around the house: A&K SR25 dap, fantastic out of the balanced output, Sony NWA55L dap that do an excellent job and finally with my Ipad, sometimes with a dragonfly black dac. Although the sound with the portable gear is excellent, there is a noticiable difference with the home stereo, there the 7200 really sound absolutely amazing. I guess same thing happens with a dedicated desktop 🎧 amp. Sound of, at least, my portable gear is really good but clearly better with the dedicated not portable big stereo amplifier (Pc- Yamaha dac and streamer- Denon amp). Even better (Pc- a&k SR25 as dac- Denon amp). Specially the bass, the amazing bass of the 7200 that is always there but lets you hear the mids and highs. Same thing happens to me with my Sennheiser HD599 and Denon Ah-d900, they sound much better out of my stereo amplifier. This has been my experience so far. I must admit also that I am not inclined to add an additional portable amp to my portable gear. Maybe that could change with one of those, I don’t know! Is it possible to reach the same feeling of power and bass with a portable amp added to the gear?
Another possible idea could be the tuning of your dac. I clearly prefer the tuning of the SR25 as dac than my Yamaha desktop streamer dac.

Nov 11, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #2,276 of 3,167
The weird thing is... Today the Fiio CL06 cable (USB-c --> micro USB) arrived, so I can connect the Chord Mojo to my android phone. And suddenly the same music sounded much more spaceous! I was really surprised!

I asked my housemate (who designs high-end amplifiers himself and made me enthousastic about hifi)if he could hear the difference as well, and he confirmed that indeed the mojo sounded a lot better on my android phone withthe USB-c --> micro USB cable on my android phone than it sounded on my mac, with the same audio file but with the standardly equipped USB --> micro-USB cable.

Anyone has any idea how this small cable and /or difference in device can make such a difference?
Right now I'm more more happy with my chord mojo!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #2,277 of 3,167
The weird thing is... Today the Fiio CL06 cable (USB-c --> micro USB) arrived, so I can connect the Chord Mojo to my android phone. And suddenly the same music sounded much more spaceous! I was really surprised!

I asked my housemate (who designs hihg-end amplifiers himself and made me enthousastic about hifi)if he could hear the difference as well, and he confirmed that indeed the mojo sounded a lot better on my android phone withthe USB-c --> micro USB cable on my android phone than it sounded on my mac, with the same audio file but with the standardly equipped USB --> micro-USB cable.

Anyone has any idea how this small cable and /or difference in device can make such a difference?
Right now I'm more more happy with my chord mojo!

Ignore this if you already are aware but is the audio from the laptop going straight to the mojo or is it passing through the laptop's soundcard first? I can hear a definite difference when, on the odd occasion, Tidal on my laptop reverts away from exclusive mode.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #2,278 of 3,167
Currently using my 7200s with the Hiby R6 Pro.

A really good combo that has served me incredibly well.

Like some others here, I listen to various sub genres of electronic music and the Denon’s really shine with them.

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #2,279 of 3,167
Ignore this if you already are aware but is the audio from the laptop going straight to the mojo or is it passing through the laptop's soundcard first? I can hear a definite difference when, on the odd occasion, Tidal on my laptop reverts away from exclusive mode.
It seems as though the Chord Mojo only employs the asynchronous USB mode when using the OTG cable. Something like that is mentioned in the manual. Weird this is that they don't standardly deliver the Chord Mojo with this cable. So when you plug it in with the regular delivered cable it sounds neutral, but certainly not great. A cable worth around 10 dollars / euros is able to lift the speaceousness of the audio to sublime portable levels.

So in the end it was just the cable connecting the Mojo to the music playing device :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back