Denon AH-7200
Oct 15, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #2,251 of 3,166
Yeah, it's a really well-judged tuning. It's one of the few headphones I've owned (or heard) where I'm not chronically having my attention turned back, in a sometimes annoying way, to some particular aspect of the sound-- rather, for me this headphone tends to disappear, and allow my attention to focus on the music...

I agree, this is the most unique tuning i have heard so far. I can’t think of anything it does wrong besides soundstage. It’s a compromise i will gladly take any day of the week.

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #2,252 of 3,166
i personally enjoy the sound of d7200, but i also agree with crinnacle's take on d7200 tuning being a little "wonky". I first thought about it but after i A/B with other headphones like dt1990 and such i can kinda relate on what he said. Still it's not necessarily a good or bad thing, i actually think it is part of why d7200 sounds pretty unique.

Oct 17, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #2,255 of 3,166
Had my D7200's two weeks and loving them and already put over 100hrs on them, so smooth in the highs and amazing bass but yesterday they developed an annoying buzz in the left driver, or so I thought. I carefully removed the pads to see if I could see any foreign object behind the grill but there was nothing, so I put the pads back on and took another listen, still the same. So I unplugged them and put them to one side ready for packing up for a return to Amazon. I plugged in my DT1990's and there it was, the same noise, so I switched the interconnects around at the amp and the noise moved to the right side. Turns out that it was the well documented Modi Multibit glitch, which I didn't initially consider because I've turned it on and off a couple of times lately but sure enough, turned it off, left it for 30 seconds and then turned it back on again and the buzz was gone and the sound was nice and clear again. :o2smile:

Oct 18, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #2,256 of 3,166
I received my D7200 yesterday from Amazonwarehouse. As described in the ad the hps are new, the box a little damaged. Totally worth it with the primeday discount. I was lucky to receive them on a quiet Saturday, no work and with the family busy with other things, I gave them a pretty intensive morning and evening sesion, 6 hours in total. The 🎧 are the best I have ever had. My two favourite 🎧 until yesterday have been easily surpassed. They are the Sennheiser HD599 and my vintage Denon Ah-d900 from 1988 that still sound amazing to my ears. The D7200 sounds really better. I am a (old) beginner audiophile, I do not have experience with other high level 🎧 . As just mentioned yesterday, I completely agree
so smooth in the highs and amazing bass
also for me, I can clearly distinguish instruments and their position in space like with the Sennheiser with all the advantages of the closedback, better bass, better isolation .
I tried some of my favorite classical music pieces: Mozarts Requiem and piano concerto num 20, Beethoven’s 3rd, Brahms 1st, Bach Brandenburg concertos and many more, in versions I know really well. I listen mainly to classical music. Then some jazz, Sarah Vaughan, Keith Jarrett, Diana Krall and also some pop and rock: Maroon 5, Michael Jackson, Bruno Mars, Billy Joel, Van Morrison... I had many moments of amazement, earing pieces and songs that I know very well in such fantastic quality. Also amazed how well they sound in different genres.
I am listening today again to Mozarts Requiem and these 🎧 are fenomenal!
Luckily I did not have any confort issues with the headband, but I have a ZMF Co pilot and tried it on. It fits perfectly. For the moment I will not use it since confort is fine. Not as good as my HD599, but perfectly fine.
I tried the D7200 directly out of my Ipad and worked really well. These are easy to drive. Of course the result is even better with my daps:A&K SR25 and Sony Nwa-55L with MrWalkman firmware A50R. I am extremely pleased with the performance with both daps. I have to get a balanced cable to take advantage of the balanced output of the SR25 which works really well with other Hps and iems. Last I tried with my old reliable Denon Stereo amplifier and excellent as well.
In conclusion I love the D7200 and I’m sure they will give me many hours of pleasure! Many thanks to all contributing to this thread that helped me to decide on the purchase.

Oct 18, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #2,257 of 3,166
I received my D7200 yesterday from Amazonwarehouse. As described in the ad the hps are new, the box a little damaged. Totally worth it with the primeday discount. I was lucky to receive them on a quiet Saturday, no work and with the family busy with other things, I gave them a pretty intensive morning and evening sesion, 6 hours in total. The 🎧 are the best I have ever had. My two favourite 🎧 until yesterday have been easily surpassed. They are the Sennheiser HD599 and my vintage Denon Ah-d900 from 1988 that still sound amazing to my ears. The D7200 sounds really better. I am a (old) beginner audiophile, I do not have experience with other high level 🎧 . As just mentioned yesterday, I completely agree
also for me, I can clearly distinguish instruments and their position in space like with the Sennheiser with all the advantages of the closedback, better bass, better isolation .
I tried some of my favorite classical music pieces: Mozarts Requiem and piano concerto num 20, Beethoven’s 3rd, Brahms 1st, Bach Brandenburg concertos and many more, in versions I know really well. I listen mainly to classical music. Then some jazz, Sarah Vaughan, Keith Jarrett, Diana Krall and also some pop and rock: Maroon 5, Michael Jackson, Bruno Mars, Billy Joel, Van Morrison... I had many moments of amazement, earing pieces and songs that I know very well in such fantastic quality. Also amazed how well they sound in different genres.
I am listening today again to Mozarts Requiem and these 🎧 are fenomenal!
Luckily I did not have any confort issues with the headband, but I have a ZMF Co pilot and tried it on. It fits perfectly. For the moment I will not use it since confort is fine. Not as good as my HD599, but perfectly fine.
I tried the D7200 directly out of my Ipad and worked really well. These are easy to drive. Of course the result is even better with my daps:A&K SR25 and Sony Nwa-55L with MrWalkman firmware A50R. I am extremely pleased with the performance with both daps. I have to get a balanced cable to take advantage of the balanced output of the SR25 which works really well with other Hps and iems. Last I tried with my old reliable Denon Stereo amplifier and excellent as well.
In conclusion I love the D7200 and I’m sure they will give me many hours of pleasure! Many thanks to all contributing to this thread that helped me to decide on the purchase.
They will for sure.
Like em too for their full sound signature.
A really nice complement to my SEM5, which i use for my classical, wider space needs.
Keep listening and enjoy the sound.

All the best.
Chris

Oct 18, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #2,258 of 3,166
Yeah, it's a really well-judged tuning. It's one of the few headphones I've owned (or heard) where I'm not chronically having my attention turned back, in a sometimes annoying way, to some particular aspect of the sound-- rather, for me this headphone tends to disappear, and allow my attention to focus on the music...
Just realized i saw you on the t1 thread. How would you compare the bass, mids, treble between the gen3 and 7200?

Oct 19, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #2,260 of 3,166
...That said-- open back vs. closed back, so the 'apples and oranges' thing. I like the 7200 a lot, but for those technical aspects I'd give the nod to the T1. The T1 to me is more precise and transparent, while being smooth on top, while the Denon is warmer.

Oct 31, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #2,263 of 3,166
I already reported on my initial impressions of the 7200. After two weeks I’m digging the 7200 immensely. These are some smooth operator. They trick you and you end up listening to them for hours and hours and hours. I love the smooth detailed sound with perfect bass and the highs are not tiring at all. I mainly listen to classical orquestral music but these headphones work wonders with chamber music, pop, rock and jazz as well. Also I really find them very comfortable and wear them all day long with the present teleworking. The headband is fine for me, so I’m lucky. Sometimes I feel the conflictive point in the headband but pressing it seems to work perfectly for me as someone recommended in this forum, and it also seems to happen less and less everyday.
I am continually changing from
-the stock cable to connect to my 20 year old Denon classic stereo PMA-1500R, here they really sound extraordinary. I have bought an extension 3 meter cable that I need for the room and I have not noticed any sound degradation. With the classic amp the bass and subbass is sooooo good! These headphones are easy to drive but they also shine with power! This is my favorite sound of all but mainly for concentrated listening and less practical than the others.
-the balanced connection to my A&K SR25. I ended up buying the Meze balanced cable since it was inmediately available and could return it if not pleased. Also the Beyerdynamic cable was not so easy to get. I’m keeping the Meze. Initialy it sounded slightly brighter to me but either that has changed or I have become used to it. Anyway, to my ears the SR25 sounds not only louder but also better out of the balanced output. This dap has double the output in balanced and you can feel it. Again the 7200 love power. with the Sr25 it is a match made in heaaven.
-a 1,2 meter 3,5 cable that I bought from Amazon and that I connect to my Ipad for Youtube and to my Sony Nwa-55L with MrWalksmann (a genius) firmware. The combination with the Sonys is excellent and with the Ipad not bad at all.
For longer time users, do you ever have any problems with the 3,5 connections on the headphones? I’m worried I will end up breaking them by frequent changes.
I have no idea if burning exists or if it is the user’s impression but to my ears the 7200 sound better after these two weeks. Somehow the gap with my other headphones seems to widen. I have been doing some tests with piano pieces. One of the most difficult things in music reproduction I believe and they sound just great. My daughter plays piano and we have a decent electrical Yamaha piano at home. The recorded piano pieces on the headphones sound pretty good, in my opinion excellent.
The 7200 are my endgame headphones, I hope for years! I do not have experience with other higher end headphones, but compared with my Sennheiser HD599 detail, bass and isolation is so much better. Compared with my old Ah-D900 the sound is softer and the bass much more controlled. I still have to find my favourite iems, but that’s another story.

To wrap it all, the 7200 are very fotogenic! Sorry I cannot avoid posting a pic. I include a pic of the 7200 with the Sr25 connected with the Meze cable. Grandpa Ah-D900 from 1988 by the side (these are not getting much use nowadays, that is the only downside of the grandson arrival).

72BC927E-E853-48DA-8897-E7445B0DE060.jpeg

Oct 31, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #2,264 of 3,166
Yeah, best closed-back headphone for music enjoyment to my ears, till date.
It works pretty well with most music genres.
I dig it too. :)

Wish they're as comfortable as my SEM5 on my head, but soundwise, they're great and i get used to the fit quickly.

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #2,265 of 3,166

Users who are viewing this thread

Back