Denon AH-7200
Apr 23, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #2,176 of 3,155
Hey all. I just received my DMT modded D7200 from Maxx134, and I have to say, these things are AMAZING! I had these in stock form before and sold them. Only thing I have sold that I regretted. Anyways, I bought a modded pair that Maxx had for sale here and all I can say is "Wow!" Better resolution and clarity. Seriously is not very far from my $1500 Focal Clears detail retrieval. Seriously, Maxx. Thank you for all your research and experimentation. I think you have a winning mod here!
Thanks for the impressions.

It funny you mention at this time, because I broke my current 7200 pair as being the first "guinea pig" headphones that I spent over a year experimenting and testing untill I broke one driver, by dropping it on floor (after I plugged unit the wrong way into a GoV2 amp/dac)...

So I used the 7200 as first headphones in perfecting my "Driver Modification Technology".

Then for "proof of concept" that it can be applied to other drivers, I had to prove that I was able to apply my tech to other different headphones.

Each headphone was only a single test unit, so each unit was "one of a kind", to prove it can be done (resolution increase).

I plan to give my tech to someone who wants to do it for others, but I am not going forward with it, as I am in this just as hobby and not have the time.
:)

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #2,178 of 3,155
I would be interested in the experiences with these fake drivers. They don't look bad. Curious how they sound.
I was not expecting much from China, but these units are actually using a gold metal frame (!).
I have no idea how they sound yet until I get home later today I can test.
They also have the very low impedance necessary to be similar to the denons.

Edit, the biocelulouse is of a lighter and more fibers can be seen, so it's readily apparent that the unit diaphragm not similar and so its unkown yet the sound.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #2,179 of 3,155
I will post pics later on how to remove denon driver from the large plastic baffle/plate.
:)

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #2,180 of 3,155
Thanks man. Cancelled this and saw another one from the same company basically identical, but guaranteed to work with the 7200:

https://www.amazon.ca/NEOMUSICIA-Re...musicia+d7200&qid=1559416734&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Part of what I'm getting at though is just whether I should buy into expensive cables or whether it's part snake oil? Do I need to buy the bayerdynamic (T1/T5) cable to avoid degrading the sound quality?
The price is too good for a cable of this class. How about it, did you get the cable? I am looking for a 1,2m cable but its so very hard to find one for Denon unless I dare to order one from Ali, Lunashops.

May 5, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #2,182 of 3,155
I got my AH-D7200 from France.
While waiting, I have been looking very hard for an adapter and shorter 1,2m replacement cable, which posses the same characteristics as the stock cable, thus it should consist of Silver Plated+ 7N OCC. For durability, low impedance, and futureproofing reasons, I choose to terminate the wire with a 4.4 pentacon plug. The cable is manufactured by Lunashops located in Guangzhou, China and the adapter (DJ44C 3.5 SE to 4.4 Pentacon) by DD Electronics Technologhy, also located in Guangzhou. I confirmed with Lunashops support that the cable is compatible with HifiMan Sundara as well, a planar (my first planar) that is on the way to me -- as you may know, Sundara cable is trash. Total cost, including shipping, tax and custom fees, is USD126. This is the first time for me to purchase from Lunarshops and I am not 100 sure that this venture will have a happy ending, that the cable is well made. Prior ordering from Guangzhou, I ordered a cute knitted red thing to put around, by now infamous, AH-D7200 headband to test the deliverable of their mail services. It arrived in 20 days.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
  • cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0
May 6, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #2,183 of 3,155
I got my AH-D7200 from France.
While waiting, I have been looking very hard for an adapter and shorter 1,2m replacement cable, which posses the same characteristics as the stock cable, thus it should consist of Silver Plated+ 7N OCC. For durability, low impedance, and futureproofing reasons, I choose to terminate the wire with a 4.4 pentacon plug. The cable is manufactured by Lunashops located in Guangzhou, China and the adapter (DJ44C 3.5 SE to 4.4 Pentacon) by DD Electronics Technologhy, also located in Guangzhou. I confirmed with Lunashops support that the cable is compatible with HifiMan Sundara as well, a planar (my first planar) that is on the way to me -- as you may know, Sundara cable is trash. Total cost, including shipping, tax and custom fees, is USD126. This is the first time for me to purchase from Lunarshops and I am not 100 sure that this venture will have a happy ending, that the cable is well made. Prior ordering from Guangzhou, I ordered a cute knitted red thing to put around, by now infamous, AH-D7200 headband to test the deliverable of their mail services. It arrived in 20 days.
I ordered the same cable...and now received ibasso dx160 silver!

May 6, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #2,184 of 3,155
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y6NF4SX/

I'll just leave this here. It's about the best price you can get for XLR, just know the wire thickness is pretty much china braided IEM thickness. Also the connectors are the same shade of silver as the metalwork on denon headphones.

https://imgur.com/DXnYZbe on my 5200, next to a 1060c with periapt cable

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #2,186 of 3,155
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y6NF4SX/

I'll just leave this here. It's about the best price you can get for XLR, just know the wire thickness is pretty much china braided IEM thickness. Also the connectors are the same shade of silver as the metalwork on denon headphones.

https://imgur.com/DXnYZbe on my 5200, next to a 1060c with periapt cable
It certainly looks like a nice cable, yet nothing is mentioned about what it consists of. I am very much aware of snake oil and despise companies such as Audioquest and their alike. I know how you feel; It is laughable how such entrepreneurs may sell USB and HDMI cables for hundreds and even thousands of dollars with ridiculous wooden covered terminals and use wood to separate channels , even having electrically battery charged magnetically inducing bricks to run-in cables. With digital transmission that does not matter much as the protocol ensues near error free transmission with. A 10 dollar 0.5m cable with proper insulation will do fine and thats the kinda cable I use (Fiio C01). In case of analogue transmissions I am less sure what it takes to pass the signal without alternations wrt the characteristics of metals, shields and gauges, AWG. The reason I choose this particular cable is not based on my knowledge as my knowledge is limited beyond balanced designs. My decisions is based on what Denon researchers regard as an optimal cost efficient cable for use between the source and their phones and this is the cheapest one out there I may found that replicate cables, which were designed for AH-D7200 and AH-D9200. I have listened to both the stock cable of AH-D5200 and the stock 7N cable of AH-D7200 and I fond that there is a quite a notable difference between them. Well, I hope the cable I ordered is well made, in fact according to what Lunashops states on their site and is not too stiff. Their website is not well done and has serious security flaws which made me less confident about the company. Lunashops is however a major player in DIY Audio around Guandong and so far I am OK with their customers support. There are a number of cable makers in Japan such as Nobunaga who build cables which are compatible with Denon/Meze/T1/T5o/Sundara. Thou I may negotiate with them in Japanese I were not able to negotiate a price less than the double of the price offered by Lunashops.

May 7, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #2,188 of 3,155
It certainly looks like a nice cable, yet nothing is mentioned about what it consists of. I am very much aware of snake oil and despise companies such as Audioquest and their alike. I know how you feel; It is laughable how such entrepreneurs may sell USB and HDMI cables for hundreds and even thousands of dollars with ridiculous wooden covered terminals and use wood to separate channels , even having electrically battery charged magnetically inducing bricks to run-in cables. With digital transmission that does not matter much as the protocol ensues near error free transmission with. A 10 dollar 0.5m cable with proper insulation will do fine and thats the kinda cable I use (Fiio C01). In case of analogue transmissions I am less sure what it takes to pass the signal without alternations wrt the characteristics of metals, shields and gauges, AWG. The reason I choose this particular cable is not based on my knowledge as my knowledge is limited beyond balanced designs. My decisions is based on what Denon researchers regard as an optimal cost efficient cable for use between the source and their phones and this is the cheapest one out there I may found that replicate cables, which were designed for AH-D7200 and AH-D9200. I have listened to both the stock cable of AH-D5200 and the stock 7N cable of AH-D7200 and I fond that there is a quite a notable difference between them. Well, I hope the cable I ordered is well made, in fact according to what Lunashops states on their site and is not too stiff. Their website is not well done and has serious security flaws which made me less confident about the company. Lunashops is however a major player in DIY Audio around Guandong and so far I am OK with their customers support. There are a number of cable makers in Japan such as Nobunaga who build cables which are compatible with Denon/Meze/T1/T5o/Sundara. Thou I may negotiate with them in Japanese I were not able to negotiate a price less than the double of the price offered by Lunashops.

I've personally never heard a difference between cables. I just wanted a cheap balanced cable since I already have a xlr to 2.5mm adapter for my e1da powerdac and 20 bucks for 3.5mm to xlr is honestly cheaper than soldering your own unless you buy bulk. its not stuff and would probably tangle easily if headphone earcups were not fixed, like that type of cable does for IEMs.

May 13, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #2,190 of 3,155
I received today another D7200 as my good old one I bought shortly after its release has been worn out after years of intensive use on the go. What surprised me immediately was that the new one is a little bit louder at the same volume. Another difference is somewhat loose bass without texture bleeding into mids and giving impression of veil. I suppose Denon haven't changed specifications but it sounds like a different headphone, maybe like D5200 could sound (never heard it). A bad batch? Has someone the same experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back