Denon AH-7200
Nov 23, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #2,071 of 3,166
They look very genuine, the sliding is smooth and they are so comfortable. It has the package it should have and the cups have the right color and texture, ear pads and head band are too well manufactured. Plus the sound is good, I'm just being picky compared to Audeze.
I even googled for fake or replicas before buying, nothing came up, some of the first results were from this thread, various discussions.
And they were new, with plastic foil on all 3 jacks of the cable and on the small tube around the place where left and right channel come together.
I'll post some images, of course i would be interested to confirm they are genuine and spot any difference if they are replicas so everyone interesed is warned.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #2,072 of 3,166
I'm debating between this, the 5200, TH-X00 Mahogany or even HE4XX (not sure how it compares to Fostex) for exclusive movie watch, but I read contradictory posts regarding their soundstage. In my list voice warmth and bass (with some LFE hint) is the most critical but I don't want to compromise on imaging and depth. Do these sound wider and more precise than TH-X00, Emu Teak or even the older Denons without being any brighter?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #2,074 of 3,166
I'm debating between this, the 5200, TH-X00 Mahogany or even HE4XX (not sure how it compares to Fostex) for exclusive movie watch, but I read contradictory posts regarding their soundstage. In my list voice warmth and bass (with some LFE hint) is the most critical but I don't want to compromise on imaging and depth. Do these sound wider and more precise than TH-X00, Emu Teak or even the older Denons without being any brighter?

The HE4XX are pretty lousy. I'd go ahead and take those off the list, if I were you. If you want that particular tuning, go for the Sundara instead. However, given the other headphones you're interested in, I would imagine the soft and rolled-off bass of the 4XX or Sundara is probably not going to please you.

Nov 23, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #2,075 of 3,166
The HE4XX are pretty lousy. I'd go ahead and take those off the list, if I were you. If you want that particular tuning, go for the Sundara instead. However, given the other headphones you're interested in, I would imagine the soft and rolled-off bass of the 4XX or Sundara is probably not going to please you.
I decided on HE4XX as a similar signature but better alternative to X2, which is well regarded for movie watching with bass and soundstage, now they are cheaper headphones than the Fostex. I guess that the TH-X00 phones have great bass but not much depth while the new Denon have less bass and maybe better depth? If any I'd rather have extended bass region and quantity, probably not at PH level, and imaging and depth as an addition but not at the expense.

Nov 23, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #2,076 of 3,166
I decided on HE4XX as a similar signature but better alternative to X2, which is well regarded for movie watching with bass and soundstage, now they are cheaper headphones than the Fostex. I guess that the TH-X00 phones have great bass but not much depth while the new Denon have less bass and maybe better depth? If any I'd rather have extended bass region and quantity, probably not at PH level, and imaging and depth as an addition but not at the expense.

I'd take the X2 over the 4XX is a heartbeat. It's got much better soundstage and dynamics, sounds more natural, and doesn't lose much in resolution. It's also better made, better looking, and more comfortable IMO. When mine was stolen, I upgraded to the E-MU Teak, which is wonderful. I have always been tempted to buy another X2 though.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Denon line-up. Still lurking around here, but I have never heard a Fostex I didn't like and the Denons look like they may share a lot of those positive qualities. Here's hoping, anyway.

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #2,077 of 3,166
Nov 24, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #2,079 of 3,166
Sure looks genuine!
And now I'm pretty convinced they are, I found the issue: matching with ifi micro idsd isn't good. Maybe it is too powerful, it has some switches for sensitive headphones and 3 power modes, I'll play with them. But last night I connected D7200 to pioneer dap I mentioned earlier and the impression I had first time was confirmed, everything sounded just right, beautiful I would say, the bass well rounded with a nice punch, not overemphasized, very pleasant tonality, the right balance between frequencies and instruments and voice is back in its place. They sound good, really good.
Next I need to find a proper cable for portable usage.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #2,081 of 3,166
Looking to upgrade my Fidelio X2 and, since the X3 is not coming until 2020, I was looking into the D7200 or the Beyer Almiron. Which one would you reckon would be a suitable upgrade over the X2 without losing that spacious and warm signature?

Nov 28, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #2,083 of 3,166
I've always had good results with this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1m-...Replace-Repair-Upgrade-Cable/32835020227.html

It is better than german Sommer Onyx and Mogami Neglex (both being very good, often better than stock cables). Take a look at this guy's inventory as he also sells 8 cores version.

About that... Not that I'd like to start a flame war, but I'm pretty sure that what you've meant is that _you_ cannot hear differences :wink:
Having engineering degree in electronics and masters in IT I was also sure that basicaly all cables are created equal. Until I bought replacement cable for my IE80, which sounded AWFUL. Like a tin can without bass and badly distorted treble. But it shouldn't, right? It should sound exactly the same as stock one! That was kind of eye (ear?) opener for me and I started to experiment with my own DIY cables using different materials.

Now I know that as long as you have good enough DAC, amp, and headphones:
- thin cable will make power hungry headphones (regardless of their sensitivity level) sound artificial, with bass roll-off.
- thick, high AWG cable will give good bass extension, if too thick, there will be no balance with treble and the sound will seem to lack highs.
- regular copper<OFC<PCOCC - in regards to details and dynamics, though to hear that particular difference you really have to use good equipement and the differences - though there - are small
- silver plated PCOCC with high AWG will give best of both worlds: nice low end, well controlled and with good extension, at the same time providing natural, clean and airy treble.
- solid core is a no-go with headphones (kinda obvious :wink:)

Thus my go-to cable is nowadays this linked silver plated copper cable. This particular one has also really good looks, though it is stiff enough to have some microphonics: but I do not use balanced cables on the go.
For connectors when possible I try to stay with Neutrik or Amphenol offerings, not because of any influence on sound signature (never experienced any) but for purely pragmatic reasons: they are wery well engeneered, they are really nice to solder and are sometimes reusable.

But in general: do not take my word for this: experiment on your own! It's simple and cheap, and you can get some splendid results without spending absurd amounts of money (cable price same as headphone price is a kind of monstrosity unless you have really deep pockets and like to burn money just for the fun of it).

Once again: experiment!

(another long one :wink:)

I 100% agree with this. I get the same with IEMs....the stock ones sound reduced in vibrancy, while silver plated ones with more cores make them sound more lively.

Dec 9, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #2,084 of 3,166
Hey. The left speaker rattled on my 7200. The headphones are 2.5 years old, I use it with the IBasso DX150. It starts to rattle at medium volume, at a high level there is a solid bounce at low frequencies. I am shocked by such reliability. I usually listen to music at a quiet volume, I can listen and have a conversation at the same time. I can listen at medium volume, but I never turned it on loudly, and the 7200 has 1.8W, the player will not give as much. I couldn’t burn like that. Now I grab my head - where to get the new speaker. Members of the forum, maybe you will consult with this defect. PS. I use Russian GoogleTraslete, do not exact. Rereading the whole topic is not realistic for me.

Dec 9, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #2,085 of 3,166
Hey. The left speaker rattled on my 7200. The headphones are 2.5 years old, I use it with the IBasso DX150. It starts to rattle at medium volume, at a high level there is a solid bounce at low frequencies. I am shocked by such reliability. I usually listen to music at a quiet volume, I can listen and have a conversation at the same time. I can listen at medium volume, but I never turned it on loudly, and the 7200 has 1.8W, the player will not give as much. I couldn’t burn like that. Now I grab my head - where to get the new speaker. Members of the forum, maybe you will consult with this defect. PS. I use Russian GoogleTraslete, do not exact. Rereading the whole topic is not realistic for me.

I am sorry for that. It should not happen at medium volumes, unless very low frequencies were involved (like subwoofer test tracks). Still, unlikely. If the headphones are in warranty (2 years, right?), Denon should take care.
It's possible the driver's void coil got displaced because a prior over-excursion or other mechanical shock. However, the driver is glued in and it would be extremely difficult to check/push the coil back in place through the perforated metallic protector. Not impossible though.

Replacement drivers are usually sold only via Denon dealers, come in pairs and include the whole driver plate assembly (glued together). I don't know the cost, should be around 200-250 euros for the pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back