Denon AH-7200
Feb 25, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #1,967 of 3,157
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I'm a happy boy tonight as mine have been returned from the service centre today. I have forgotten just how great these phones are...

Balanced cable made from my old AH-D7000 cable and Dekoni Elite TH-900 pads. Going to be a late one tonight

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #1,968 of 3,157
I'm a happy boy tonight as mine have been returned from the service centre today. I have forgotten just how great these phones are...

Balanced cable made from my old AH-D7000 cable and Dekoni Elite TH-900 pads. Going to be a late one tonight

Very nice, how are the Dekoni pads versus the stock pads sound-wise? Looks like they have a great fit and look good.

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #1,969 of 3,157
OK so I have some news on the pads. Zolkis is right, 009 pads make a big and positive difference. D7200 gets a lot of detail, going back to stock pads is like placing veil on the drivers. Treble extension is better, bass goes deeper but at the same time there is a bit less of it making whole spectrum more balanced. I think the soundstage is wider, but not by much. It is better, but no K7XX level good. Overall, they sound smooth, musical and nicely balanced, with no obvious spikes or dips (at leas to my ears). Indeed - highly recommended.
As for the looks: the pads are bigger than cups, not by much. Nothing that would bother me in the long run, but I still had to use some double sided tape to fix them.
Comfort: 10/10. 009 pads are excellent - doesnt matter if they are on 009 or D7200, they are breathing and comfy.

Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads are somewhere in the middle of the road: they are almost as bassy as stock ones, the treble has better extension - but can be piercing at times. The detail level and sounstage are comparable with stock pads. Comfortwise, they are better - being genuine leather. As for the looks they fit like a glove, like you can see in the pictures in the thread.
I did not remove white layer that is unerneath the foam of the 009 pads. I've also left internal ring with driver protection as it was, though I am thinking about replacing it with soft, thin material called "fizelina" in polish (sorry, I have no english word for that - google pictures of it) that is very nice as an filter for K7XX and my modded KSC75.

All of the comparisions were made using Sabaj DA3 and SMSL SAP-9/Gustard X20 Pro with D7200 still being burned in on SE connection. I guess it will be even better with my balanced cables and when they will be properly burned.

So, 009 are here to stay :) and Dekoni's will be for sale :)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #1,970 of 3,157
OK so I have some news on the pads. Zolkis is right, 009 pads make a big and positive difference. D7200 gets a lot of detail, going back to stock pads is like placing veil on the drivers. Treble extension is better, bass goes deeper but at the same time there is a bit less of it making whole spectrum more balanced. I think the soundstage is wider, but not by much. It is better, but no K7XX level good. Overall, they sound smooth, musical and nicely balanced, with no obvious spikes or dips (at leas to my ears). Indeed - highly recommended.
As for the looks: the pads are bigger than cups, not by much. Nothing that would bother me in the long run, but I still had to use some double sided tape to fix them.
Comfort: 10/10. 009 pads are excellent - doesnt matter if they are on 009 or D7200, they are breathing and comfy.

Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads are somewhere in the middle of the road: they are almost as bassy as stock ones, the treble has better extension - but can be piercing at times. The detail level and sounstage are comparable with stock pads. Comfortwise, they are better - being genuine leather. As for the looks they fit like a glove, like you can see in the pictures in the thread.
I did not remove white layer that is unerneath the foam of the 009 pads. I've also left internal ring with driver protection as it was, though I am thinking about replacing it with soft, thin material called "fizelina" in polish (sorry, I have no english word for that - google pictures of it) that is very nice as an filter for K7XX and my modded KSC75.

All of the comparisions were made using Sabaj DA3 and SMSL SAP-9/Gustard X20 Pro with D7200 still being burned in on SE connection. I guess it will be even better with my balanced cables and when they will be properly burned.

So, 009 are here to stay :) and Dekoni's will be for sale :)

That's good to know, thanks for the impressions with the various pads!

Now...to drop $150 on earpads or not, that's the question...price is so steep for earpads lol.

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #1,971 of 3,157
That's good to know, thanks for the impressions with the various pads!

Now...to drop $150 on earpads or not, that's the question...price is so steep for earpads lol.

I had an opportunity to buy a pair of them slightly used for a bit less than 50$. So decided to try them - reasoning that if I wont like them with D7200, I can always leave them as spares for my SR-009.

They are really good, but 150$ for pads only, compared to D7200 price doesnt make much sense.
Unless, if - like Zolkis says - this combo is in the same league as D9200.
I will try to find time to compare D7200+009 pads to D9200, but this wont be anytime soon :frowning2:

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #1,972 of 3,157
I had an opportunity to buy a pair of them slightly used for a bit less than 50$. So decided to try them - reasoning that if I wont like them with D7200, I can always leave them as spares for my SR-009.

They are really good, but 150$ for pads only, compared to D7200 price doesnt make much sense.
Unless, if - like Zolkis says - this combo is in the same league as D9200.
I will try to find time to compare D7200+009 pads to D9200, but this wont be anytime soon :frowning2:

Oh nice, at $50 I wouldn't hesitate to give the 009 pads a try. But yes, $150 is a bit crazy.

Unless everyone agreed that it'll make the D7200 the absolute best closed back headphones on the market. I may invest the money if that was the case.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #1,973 of 3,157

Removing the white rings IME would result in more lively sound with bigger sound stage and more bass impact. It's another question who will like that and who will prefer the stock. I have been playing back and forth with the white ring, but it sounded better without it on all headphones I tried, except the Stax SR-009 on which the difference was small and the direction debatable. The good thing is that the mod is reversible: if you use a sharp knife and patience when removing, the white ring remains sticky with glue.

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #1,974 of 3,157
I may try that in the future. Tonight I've done some fun session with opamp rolling.
But that's something for another post.

Cutting long story short, I LOVE D7200 with 009 pads. No going back to stock for me now...

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #1,975 of 3,157
Oh nice, at $50 I wouldn't hesitate to give the 009 pads a try. But yes, $150 is a bit crazy.

Unless everyone agreed that it'll make the D7200 the absolute best closed back headphones on the market. I may invest the money if that was the case.

If there's any chance of you traveling though Warsaw, just give me a shout and drop by.
Srsly.

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #1,976 of 3,157
If there's any chance of you traveling though Warsaw, just give me a shout and drop by.
Srsly.

No plans of dropping by Warsaw anytime in the near future, but I do appreciate the offer!

If I happen to find a set of cheaper SR900 pads I'll be sure to give them a shot.

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #1,977 of 3,157
So, the Stax 009 pads finally arrived. I removed the D7200 pads But I'm having trouble removing the plastic ring from the headphone. Do I have to force it out or is their mechanism for it ?

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,978 of 3,157
So, the Stax 009 pads finally arrived. I removed the D7200 pads But I'm having trouble removing the plastic ring from the headphone. Do I have to force it out or is their mechanism for it ?

Yeah you will have to use a little force just slowly fold the pad away and give a slight bend to the ring for it to slip out.

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #1,979 of 3,157
Yeah you will have to use a little force just slowly fold the pad away and give a slight bend to the ring for it to slip out.
Thank you. I managed to remove the left one, but the right one is much more tighter and harder.

I forgot to mention that when I first listened to the headphone stock, I noticed the shouty mids and how closed sounding the headphone is, though without spikes in treble and grain like my x2.
I'm excited to test it with the 009 pads if I can remove the other plastic ring smoothly, lol.

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #1,980 of 3,157
Thank you. I managed to remove the left one, but the right one is much more tighter and harder.

I forgot to mention that when I first listened to the headphone stock, I noticed the shouty mids and how closed sounding the headphone is, though without spikes in treble and grain like my x2.
I'm excited to test it with the 009 pads if I can remove the other plastic ring smoothly, lol.

I had the same issue with the stock D7200 when I first got it. Sounded too congested and had shouty upper-mids/lower-treble. Following zolkis’ suggestion, I opened up the cups and took out the stock dampening material and replaced it with dense Creatology felt + foam material against the flat part of the cups, exactly as the ones used in the HD800 Anax mod. That tamed the “shout” and opened up the sound a bit, and now it sounds great!

I am still considering the SR900 pads though, but they are extremely expensive. Please let us know how they sound with the SR900 pads!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back