Denon AH-7200
Feb 8, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #1,921 of 3,156
The obvious point of the previous post was that those pads (120 euros here, plus your 15 minutes hobby-work) will not only improve, but make the D7200 (here 800 euros) sound better in every single respect than the 2400 euros HD820 (I imagine for most people) and in most areas better than the 1600 euros stock D9200 (I imagine for the majority of people). That is what the D7200 truly are, not what they are confined to with the stock pads. Total savings: 700-1480 euros (not that I imagine D7200 buyers were looking for the HD820, but anyway, sound is sound, price is price).

The improvement ratio on the D9200 is less (because they are much better in stock form), but it makes them better than the HD820 even in sound stage. Total saving: 780 euros.

Zolkis can you recommend any other pads that are not the Stax 009 pads, also the 5200 pads are not available. Something cheaper would be good.

What I would like to achieve is a bit more natural sound, the area around 3Khz as I notice that bump in the FR a bit, Bigger soundstage would also be nice although I think the 7200 are good already. I would not want any more treble, I have a problem with the 12khz area (on most headphones) which is already quite sharp on these.

So yes can you recommend any other pads which would be good for the reasons above? Also is there anything other than "creatology foam" that would be good for the cups? I cannot get that in the UK. But from what you said I could improve the 3khz area with cup damping which would be good. Thanks.

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #1,922 of 3,156
Zolkis can you recommend any other pads that are not the Stax 009 pads, also the 5200 pads are not available. Something cheaper would be good.

I tried a dozen of pads and all have issues. IME only the stock pad and the Stax 009 pad are the good ones to start with. The AHG perforated pads get also halfway close but need modding as well (don't worry they are oval, the white mounting rings will stretch them). If you want cheaper, only the modded D7200 pads are recommended. The D5200 pads sound a bit better than the stock D7200 pads, maybe not as much better as different in a positive way (different people may perceive it differently). I tried a lot of other pads (including Brainwavz, Lawton, ZMF, Ether Voce, a lot of chinese etc), but no other recommendations.

So the stock D7200 pads can be modded as well to be more shallow and have about 30-40% less foam mass inside the pads, i.e. trim most of that from the back height (thick side) and some of it from the front height, and very little from the internal diameter (making it slightly larger). As a result, the pads become more plush, with better sealing, slightly less ear volume to resonate in. The bass extends more, the midrange calms down, the treble elevates a bit. Look back in this thread for more words.

In addition you will need the cups mod below.

What I would like to achieve is a bit more natural sound, the area around 3Khz as I notice that bump in the FR a bit, Bigger soundstage would also be nice although I think the 7200 are good already. I would not want any more treble, I have a problem with the 12khz area (on most headphones) which is already quite sharp on these.

So yes can you recommend any other pads which would be good for the reasons above? Also is there anything other than "creatology foam" that would be good for the cups? I cannot get that in the UK. But from what you said I could improve the 3khz area with cup damping which would be good. Thanks.

To tame the 3kHz ringing you need to replace the stock cups damping with a 1mm thick Creatology foam pad (the same that is described as coupler in one of the forbidden/censored-"for-myriad-reasons" sites' measurement rig thread) and a 2-3 mm thick wool felt pad in the cups.

The "Creatology" foam is a US product name for something that is usually found in all shops that sell DIY/embroidery/patchwork stuff. I am pretty sure you'd find that in the UK, just look for the looks, not the name. It's more like lining than foam since it's harder than most foams, but the structure itself is foam.

Pictures of the cups mod, the black one is the "creatology" pad, the white one is the wool felt pad.

DSC_0111.JPGDSC_0112.JPG

The cups mod + D7200 pads mod are the cheapest way I know to improve the D7200 (for those who perceive a midrange ringing, since not all D7200 seem to have a problem).

With this mod the D7200 sounds close to the stock D9200, the latter being still better overall.
I lived with this mod for a long time, it was pretty good. My modded TH900 was more lively, but the D7200 had its charm.

As a result from discussion in a private message thread, I checked and measured them again, playing with a lot of pads again, including the modded 009 pads. I was surprised to discover that with that pad D7200 didn't ring any more in the midrange subjectively, even without any damping in the cups. First I thought I was getting old and deaf indeed, but then measurements confirmed the subjective impression. Then I tried with the modded D7200 pads and the ringing was almost gone with that, too, subjectively and on the measurements as well. My theory is this was caused by the wood getting older. It may happen that in about 2 years the ringing will diminish or even go away. It happened with my TH900 before and now it happened with my D7200 as well. This is still a theory, so until that happens, you can use the cups damping mod above. One way to accelerate this process would be drying (risk of cracking if too fast) or cryogenic treatment (risk of cracking if not done properly). So for most people the solution is just to wait - I understand that's hard. Anyway we have a workaround for the ringing, and has been positively tested by others.

Another (better) fix would be to play with the foam damper ring that is around the drivers and which is most probably the culprit (for being too thin), but it's glued to the housing. With the TH900 huge differences could be made by tuning the foam damper; that path is closed with the Denons, unless one can get replacement foam rings as spare parts. It's a special foam, designed for the given headphone, and my theory is that Denon made this compromise of thinning it too much in order to counteract the shelved down treble of the drivers, but then the midrange became prone to ringing. Moreover, the reason why some D7200 don't exhibit this problem might be in the production variation on the foam rings - which surely exists, as I have seen on the various Fostex headphones: I have tried 5 rings in total and all sounded different... with the oldest one sounding the best.
Anyway, these are wild theories and any Denon engineers reading this rant are allowed to roll on the floor laughing (or in pain) :).

Back to the topic, I cannot tell whether you will need the cups damping mod with the modded 009 pads, but it's sure the D7200 do sound cleaner and more defined without cups damping (provided the damping is not needed): that's a bonus with all pads, including the stock. Also with speaker design, I always tried to achieve good measurement with minimum amount of damping, since in all cases the smearing can be heard and may ruin the sound very fast.

To summarize,
- With the modded D7200 pads + cup damping mod, the D7200 sounds close to the D9200.
- With the modded Stax pads and no cups damping, the D7200 sounds better (IMHO) than the D9200 (either stock or with the same 009 pads). I might be able to improve the D9200 beyond this level (with different pads and cups damping or no-damping), but will wait a bit more with that.
- With other pads (including the D5200 pads), the D7200 will sound different, but not really better. In most cases it will sound worse (not because the stock pads were so good, but mainly because the peculiar tendency of the D7200 to sound honky/ringing at times).

NB,
- Denon pads are obtainable only via your Denon dealer.
- Stax pads can be ordered mostly only from your Stax dealer/importer.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #1,923 of 3,156
The D7000 sounded a bit too dark for my taste, but it's sweet and very smooth. Will benefit from pads change as well. There are countless mods to it.

Some of the D7200's might sound honky at times (including mine) - that's why I started modding it. But I've heard samples that didn't seem to have that problem and it's easy to fix it by spending a few bucks on Creatology foam and padding the cups from the inside. It has less treble than other bio-cellulose drivers. The Stax 009 (modded) pads fix all those issues and make it sound much bigger. So I don't really recommend the stock D7200 unless you spend another 120 pounds on the Stax 009 pads...

I think I'm almost ready to buy the D7200 with the Stax 009 pads since the pads mod seems easy from what you described. Just a couple more questions, First: what do you think of the TH610 ? I ask because some folks say it's exactly like the Denon D7000. Second: what budget amp do recommend for the D7200 ? ( I said this before maybe the Liquid spark, JDS Labs Atoms or Magni 3 ). I can push a little more if I have to, like the Asgard 2, maybe even Valhala 2 or something more suited for the Denons in this price range.

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #1,924 of 3,156
what do you think of the TH610 ? I ask because some folks say it's exactly like the Denon D7000. Second: what budget amp do recommend for the D7200 ? ( I said this before maybe the Liquid spark, JDS Labs Atoms or Magni 3 ). I can push a little more if I have to, like the Asgard 2, maybe even Valhala 2 or something more suited for the Denons in this price range.

I think the TH610 is a bit too bright for me. In similar price range one could consider one of the Massdrop TH-X00, but I have found them bright as well. Yet this is so subjective... people really differ here. If you cannot listen to these, it's a hard call. I cannot guarantee unconditional satisfaction for the D7200 + modded 009 pads, but I think what I hear now would please the vast majority of people.

As for amp, what is the budget? The modded D7200 is a very easy drive (even from a better phone or DAP). I'd rather listen to the modded D7200 from my laptop's headphone output or directly from my phone than the TH610 from a tube amp, but that's me: you may be different. While the D7200 scales very well with a good desktop amp, I am listening a lot from my old Sony ZX2 DAP and it's a very good match.

The D7000 has the appeal of a smooth and warm sound that can be really good with properly matched source and amp. Like the HD6x0, HD800, several Stax headphones and others, when played in properly matched system, they can provide near end-game level of experience.

If budget is limited, also the D5200 is very good for the price and I know people who actually prefer it over the D7200. You should try to listen to it. But IMHO the D7200 has better potential.

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #1,925 of 3,156
Wow very helpful thanks Zolkis, is there any way to reattach the 7200 pads other than sewing? Would stapling them be any good? From what you have said it looks like modded 7200 pads + cup damping would improve the sound while also costing almost nothing, I am tempted by the Stax pads as I do think these headphones have potential to be extremely good, well I would say they are very good now, but just a few issues with the sound, also with the Stax pads a) they are very difficult to get in the Uk b) they are ridiculously expensive for what they are, I thought the ZMF pads were expensive, the Stax pads are double the price of the ZMF!

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #1,926 of 3,156
IMHO the Stax pads are more than double as good than other pads in what concerns leather, foam, design and sound... and may outlast other pads several times.
Unfortunately the D7200 pads were the most difficult ones to mod so far, I really needed to re-sew it. It took care to disassemble and it took careful re-sewing. Perhaps you can get someone to do it for you, but you might be safer and better off with the 009 pads that you could re-sell at bearable loss if all things go south.

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #1,927 of 3,156
I am using Dekoni TH900 leather pads with mine and to be truthful I hear you guys regarding differences/improvements and can appreciate that. However, I just thought a prestige set of phones like these deserved premium pads. I haven't been disappointed by the TH900 leather pads.

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #1,928 of 3,156
Yes I would be very interested in any more opinions on pads for these, as I said before I would like : not brighter, better 3khz area, not less bass, bigger soundstage. Would the TH900 pads be good for this? I do not think the stock pads are "bad", but if I can improve the sound with different pads without selling a kidney for the Stax pads that would be good hah.

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #1,929 of 3,156
I am using Dekoni TH900 leather pads with mine and to be truthful I hear you guys regarding differences/improvements and can appreciate that. However, I just thought a prestige set of phones like these deserved premium pads. I haven't been disappointed by the TH900 leather pads.

What differences do you notice with the TH900 pads compared to the stock pads?

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #1,930 of 3,156
I believe everyone will subjectively find something different in pads, cables etc... I think (believe) I can notice a difference in cables but I really can't pick out any difference in pads apart from aesthetics.

The original cable is great but I didn't want to butcher it so have made myself a balanced version with Negami Starquad for evaluation purposes. Trouble is that I get so embroiled in the musicality of these phones that I forget I was critically listening haha. Surely that is a good endorsement...

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #1,931 of 3,156
I believe everyone will subjectively find something different in pads, cables etc... I think (believe) I can notice a difference in cables but I really can't pick out any difference in pads apart from aesthetics.

The original cable is great but I didn't want to butcher it so have made myself a balanced version with Negami Starquad for evaluation purposes. Trouble is that I get so embroiled in the musicality of these phones that I forget I was critically listening haha. Surely that is a good endorsement...

The first statement is true. However, pads can change frequency responses drastically that cables cannot do (frequency measurement).
There is no way for me to prove that cables don't work, but I have doubts on how much change/improvement we can get through cable swapping.

Feb 8, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #1,932 of 3,156
I think the TH610 is a bit too bright for me. In similar price range one could consider one of the Massdrop TH-X00, but I have found them bright as well. Yet this is so subjective... people really differ here. If you cannot listen to these, it's a hard call. I cannot guarantee unconditional satisfaction for the D7200 + modded 009 pads, but I think what I hear now would please the vast majority of people.

As for amp, what is the budget? The modded D7200 is a very easy drive (even from a better phone or DAP). I'd rather listen to the modded D7200 from my laptop's headphone output or directly from my phone than the TH610 from a tube amp, but that's me: you may be different. While the D7200 scales very well with a good desktop amp, I am listening a lot from my old Sony ZX2 DAP and it's a very good match.

The D7000 has the appeal of a smooth and warm sound that can be really good with properly matched source and amp. Like the HD6x0, HD800, several Stax headphones and others, when played in properly matched system, they can provide near end-game level of experience.

If budget is limited, also the D5200 is very good for the price and I know people who actually prefer it over the D7200. You should try to listen to it. But IMHO the D7200 has better potential.

I have considered the Massdrop TH-X00 versions, but many say their sound stage is too small. And since I want the headphone for gaming and movies as well as music, I don't think they'll suit my needs.

As for the D7000, it's still going for 700$ up to 1100$ used, even in these forums, which is too much. But maybe the sound I will never get to hear.

My budget for an amp ( if I'm going for the denons ) is around 200$.

I managed to find great deals on both the D5200 £343 and D7200 £450.

Is the stax 009 mod still the same ? I mean replacing the white ring with the gray felt, or should I just remove the white ring only ?

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #1,934 of 3,156
I have definitely noticed a difference between very cheap cables and good ones eg. cheapo cables vs QED cables, but I have not experimented with cables beyond that, also I think the cable on the Denons is a good one (7N copper), it is a bit long but that is not a big problem. Also pretty much anything you read will say all cables sound the same, however from testing cables on my speakers I am not sure they sound exactly the same for whatever reason I cannot explain.

Anyway yes I think pads would make more difference to the sound quality, I notice these sound nice if I push the cups so they are closer to my ears, so probably Zolkis is on to something with trimming the stock pads, although I am not good at sewing so I am not sure if getting a new set such as Dekoni etc. might be a better option, although according to Zolkis the only options better than the stock pads are modded 7200 pads or Stax pads, I am sure the Stax pads are good, but that is really a massive amount for some pads.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #1,935 of 3,156
I believe the Stax pads are much bigger than the stock ones (correct me if I'm wrong). So I'm not sure you can put them around the stock black ring to snap onto the headphones. I believe zolkis mentioned you have to use double sided tape to keep the earpads on.

I also believe the stock TH900 and Dekoni TH900 pads are also slightly bigger though will still fit on the black ring to snap back onto the headphones.

I think only the ZMF Ori pads fits on nicely, though I don't think they sound better than the stock pads.

I seriously considered the the Stax pads but after realizing they don't fit at all, it turned me off to trying them. I'm just curious how much bigger they are. Zolkis do you have a photo with the Stax pads on the D7200?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back