Denon AH-7200
Oct 25, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #1,831 of 3,155
Thanks for your answer. You mentioned that the D7200 has a darker tilt, would you say HD650 dark or brighter than that?
Hm tough one, about the same I would say, maybe the 650 sounded a touch brighter but I haven't heard that one in a while so take that with a grain of salt. HD650 felt like it had more peaks in the treble, the D7200's treble is quite even, it just rolls downwards after about 2k

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #1,832 of 3,155
Hm tough one, about the same I would say, maybe the 650 sounded a touch brighter but I haven't heard that one in a while so take that with a grain of salt. HD650 felt like it had more peaks in the treble, the D7200's treble is quite even, it just rolls downwards after about 2k

The same darkness in sound as the HD650 is interesting. I will test them out. I have a nearby local hifi store that carries them and if it's my cup of tea I will probably go for them.

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #1,834 of 3,155
Hi,

I'm sorry if this topic has been covered already but I couldn't find myself reading through 122 pages on this thread. I'm really interested in these headphones and like forward mids and easy on the ears treble with not to much energy. On the bass front I don't mind if it is somewhat elevated. I listen to almost everything as long as its well recorded. How would you guys describe the sound signature of the D7200? And how does it compare to the D600? Because I think the D600 has somewhat exaggerated treble.

The HF is recessed. D7200 lack in detail retrieval. Ultimate resolution and clarity is lost. This last thing is my only problem with these HPs - otherwise those would be perfect for me as I found cable configuration that gives them perfect balance but of course no cable will fix lack of resolution :frowning2:

If 9200 would be better in resolution department then I would buy them.

Cheers

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #1,836 of 3,155
Any recommandation on earpads replacement for D7200?

ZMF Ori pads were recommended earlier, and some chineese made ones. Though I couldn't find the link for the latter so they are a mistery as I can see loads and loads of D7200 pad replacements on Aliexpress.

I've just received Dekoni Elite sheepskin ones from the last drop: give me a couple of days to compare with stock ones and I'll share my results (no measurements unfortunately, just what I hear).
The quick and dirty - so far - is that bass gets tighter but with less rumble, highs go higher and clearer with more detail there. Soundstage seems to get a bit smaller but I may be wrong here: I need time to hear and think about the mids.

BTW can anyone share a link for chinese recommended pads? The ones that measure very well?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,837 of 3,155
ZMF Ori pads were recommended earlier, and some chineese made ones. Though I couldn't find the link for the latter so they are a mistery as I can see loads and loads of D7200 pad replacements on Aliexpress.

I've just received Dekoni Elite sheepskin ones from the last drop: give me a couple of days to compare with stock ones and I'll share my results (no measurements unfortunately, just what I hear).
The quick and dirty - so far - is that bass gets tighter but with less rumble, highs go higher and clearer with more detail there. Soundstage seems to get a bit smaller but I may be wrong here: I need time to hear and think about the mids.

BTW can anyone share a link for chinese recommended pads? The ones that measure very well?

Thanks in advance!

I have been using the Dekoni TH900 sheepskin pads for almost an year. they are not bad sound signature wise, but I have trouble with the durability. The surface of the dekoni pads get worn much faster than expected, causing the materials to flake off once awhile when you wear them.
I mentioned this becasue earpads can get expensive cumulatively if the replacements are more frequent.

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #1,839 of 3,155
Guys help !!!!! 7200 stock form vs old D7000 with lawton level 1 “upgade”?
I have a good deal on that older Denon model...already own the 7200 though.

I'd definitely choose the D7200. Pads will make a big change on it, basically you can change the signature between linear, ideal and fun (V-shape) just by switching pads. Perfect.

Any recommandation on earpads replacement for D7200?

The best stock pads IMHO are the D5200 pads (linear), followed by the D7200 pads (linear but overdamped and less musical), followed by Stax 009 pads (linear, big, lively, but more mids as well which may not be welcome by all).

The best overall pads are the modded D7200 pads (ideal), with the inner foam trimmed in thickness and inner diameter in order to have about 35-40% less foam inside the pads (D5200 pads need less trimming or no trimming at all). Instruments tone/pitch/harmonic structure is more natural. And there is the bass, as near to perfect as it can be from any headphones IMHO. The TH900 has more bass quantity, but extension and impact is similar.

The most fun signature is with Fostex TH900 pads but with carbon foam filling (see TH900 mods thread). Fantastic physical bass, more treble, big sound stage. However, the "ideal" pads go as deep, but with no perceived overshoot in the bass.

A balanced, big sound-stage, high resolution sound is achieved with the Stax 009 pads, especially if modded (see Stax 007/009 mods thread). These are the easiest pads to mod, but the most expensive (and highest quality).

Potentially very good replacement pads could be obtained from https://vesperaudio.com/earpads, albeit I have not tried them. Among the choices, probably the perforated leather pads should work best with the D7200.

I have tried the following:
- the Chinese TH900/D7200 pads from ebay, have 4 pairs, all sounded different, they are cheap, but perhaps it's better to pass, the above are better.
- Brainwavz hybrid, leather and perforated leather pads, the above are better for the D7200.
- Lawton pads, the above are better for the D7200.
- ZMF Eikon and Ori pads, the above are better for the D7200.
- MrSpeakers Voce pads, the above are better for the D7200.

Nov 3, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #1,840 of 3,155
I'm considering the D7200 since a few days. I'm in EU and they can be found for 400€ (used). Which puts them in the same price as the E-mu teak.
I've owned a TH-X00 some months ago, while I liked them I felt they were a bit too bassy for a versatile use. My main problem was the earpads openings, too small for me, it caused some pain after 30 min of listening. The E-mu teak, if they're more balanced than the TH-X00 (Mahogany), could fulfill my needs but
they still have the same earpads as the X00. Putting TH610 or Denon D2-5-7k type pads could be a solution without changing the sound too much I guess.

I currently have a Denon D5000, I like them (better comfort thanks to the larger pads) but definitely U-shaped, I wonder how the D7200 could be an improvement. The D5000 is definitely bassy but the bass exhibits a slight boominess sometimes, I don't mind less slam if it's more controlled.

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #1,841 of 3,155
IMHO the D7200 is an improvement over the D5000 (and the D7000 when using the D5200 pads) in every way. Earpads opening is about the same size as TX00 pads, but they are more comfortable. However, the D5200 pads are slightly less tight/more plush and sound better IMHO. You can alternatively use TH900 or Stax 007 / 009 or similar pads for bigger opening (and still sounding very good).

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,842 of 3,155
I received mine today and out of the box I believe that they have great potential.

I still have the D7000 which was my all time favourite phone but unfortunately I damaged one of the drivers the other day with an accidental burst of high volume, so sad... One day maybe I will find a driver or a cheap set of donor D7000 but for now the D7200 is a very nice distraction.

Great price in UK at present (£449).

If anyone knows of a fix for my beloved D7000 please shout. Thanks.

Nov 6, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #1,843 of 3,155
I received mine today and out of the box I believe that they have great potential.

I still have the D7000 which was my all time favourite phone but unfortunately I damaged one of the drivers the other day with an accidental burst of high volume, so sad... One day maybe I will find a driver or a cheap set of donor D7000 but for now the D7200 is a very nice distraction.

Great price in UK at present (£449).

If anyone knows of a fix for my beloved D7000 please shout. Thanks.
Why would you prefer the 7000 over the 7200?

Nov 6, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,844 of 3,155
I don't know the D7200 well enough to compare but I can say that up to the point where I screwed my D7000 they were my go to cans. I would dearly love to have them back but the D7200 do sound amazing so one day maybe I'll have both one day. I think I'll start a "help me" thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back