Denon AH-7200
May 7, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #1,726 of 3,155
Just picked up a pair of these to replace Audeze EL-8C for my work set up. Interestingly, at first, I found the Denons to be less comfortable than the EL8 (though the EL8 do not provide quite as much isolation). Quickly though I found I adjusted to the feeling of the Denons. On first listen, mostly to Spotify via Schiit Mimby and Asgard 2, I thought they sounded pretty good, but wasn't wowed. But then I took a listen to some FLAC files I had on my computer, and wow, what a difference - they really sang. I felt like the EL8 were versatile in that for a long time in my office I only had my iPhone and they were more than enough, but then I wanted to expand my desktop setup. The EL8 sounded better with the DAC and amp, but within a few hours of listening to the Denons through the same setup, the Denons are definitely a step up, and really sound amazing with good source files.

Do these headphones need break-in time or are they going to sound more or less the same after a number of hours?

May 7, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #1,727 of 3,155
Just picked up a pair of these to replace Audeze EL-8C for my work set up. Interestingly, at first, I found the Denons to be less comfortable than the EL8 (though the EL8 do not provide quite as much isolation). Quickly though I found I adjusted to the feeling of the Denons. On first listen, mostly to Spotify via Schiit Mimby and Asgard 2, I thought they sounded pretty good, but wasn't wowed. But then I took a listen to some FLAC files I had on my computer, and wow, what a difference - they really sang. I felt like the EL8 were versatile in that for a long time in my office I only had my iPhone and they were more than enough, but then I wanted to expand my desktop setup. The EL8 sounded better with the DAC and amp, but within a few hours of listening to the Denons through the same setup, the Denons are definitely a step up, and really sound amazing with good source files.

Do these headphones need break-in time or are they going to sound more or less the same after a number of hours?

Not sure about the changes in sound, but I have experienced headband break-ins on D7200. I suggest pad swapping if you ever get a chance to do so. The original pads get sweaty and hot for me during summer time.

May 7, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #1,729 of 3,155
Hello!!!
The cable of the AH-MM400 is compatible?
On the other hand, you can be sure that the unbalanced 1.4m Beyerdynamic cable is 100% compatible?
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/audiophile-connection-cable-1-40-m.html
The source cable bothers me a lot ...
Thank you

The AH-M400 is not compatible but the Beyerdnamic cable you linked to works just fine. Used one myself in place of the stock cable as I found the shorter length much more practical.

Meze 99 cables work too if you would prefer a cheaper and/or more lightweight option.

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #1,730 of 3,155
I haven't been satisfied with the closed headphones I've owned so far, namely the Oppo PM-3 and the Aeon Closed, so I picked up the 7200s last week. I like them so far and am hoping they'll continue to improve with burn-in. I do find that running them balanced (via the Beyerdynamic 3m balanced cable I bought for my Amirons) improves the sound across the board. They fit in the Slappa hard case I bought for my Senn 6XXs, which is a nice bonus.

May 18, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #1,735 of 3,155
I need a Stationary Amp/Dac that I will use with the Denon AH-D7200 for listen classical music and jazz and I have 2 candidates:
Grace Design m900
RME ADI-2 DAC
The two incorporate the AKM 4490 chip.
I am interested in a warm sound to spend many hours without fatigue but at the same time be dynamic and with character.
What do you advise me and why?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #1,736 of 3,155
I need a Stationary Amp/Dac that I will use with the Denon AH-D7200 for listen classical music and jazz and I have 2 candidates:
Grace Design m900
RME ADI-2 DAC
The two incorporate the AKM 4490 chip.
I am interested in a warm sound to spend many hours without fatigue but at the same time be dynamic and with character.
What do you advise me and why?
Thanks in advance

I own the 7200 and love it, but classical is not a genre the 7200 does well in my opinion. Highs are not defined enough and the overall sound is not airy enough. I prefer my Clear for classical (for any genre really), but if a closed headphone is required, the Aeon Flow Closed has much more sparkle that is needed to make classical music shine.

The headphone is the first and fundamental choice. Then Dacs and Amps can improve (or worsen) the chosen sound signature, but most of the experience is based on the headphone itself. Sort of like 90% headphone, 8% Dac/amp and 2% stuff like cables. Just my 2c.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #1,740 of 3,155
Full potential is relative. A proper headphone amp will always "drive" better, which translates to less distortion at high volume and slightly more dynamic range. But the D7200 does really well out of portable players IMHO, better than the TH900 for instance (even though it sounds louder). I would not use portable power amp for the D7200 on the go, I'd be happy with the Sony walkman as the source, but depends on your listening habits: if you like it loud, by all means, feel free to get that amp and then you can compare them in peace, eventually selling it if you find it not needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back