Denon AH-7200
Sep 16, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #1,201 of 3,156
To me,
The 7200 is the only new headphone currently out that actually contains a driver capable of reaching Elite status....

IMO combines the sonic strengths of natural sounding biocelulous (non metalic driver) with the higher resolution class of hd800 capability.

To me it's resolution is superior than th600, th900, and even latest other closed cans I had (Flow, Eikon)..

What it does not excell at, is Soundstage.
Yet I myself have abandoned the large Soundstage type cans because I found myself enjoying this Dennon sound better.

For a closed can it does alot very well.
Personally, I didn't like the signature much in stock form,
but I knew right away it was special due to the level of resolution it has.

The Dennon has exact pad fit of an Ether pads and ZMF Ori pads.
I still have to try the Dekoni pads .

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #1,202 of 3,156
To me,
The 7200 is the only new headphone currently out that actually contains a driver capable of reaching Elite status....

IMO combines the sonic strengths of natural sounding biocelulous (non metalic driver) with the higher resolution class of hd800 capability.

To me it's resolution is superior than th600, th900, and even latest other closed cans I had (Eikon)..

Yet I myself have abandoned the large Soundstage type cans because I found myself enjoying this Dennon sound better.

For a closed can it does alot very well.
Personally, I didn't like the signature much in stock form,
but I knew right away it was special due to the level of resolution it has.

The Dennon has exact pad fit of an Ether pads and ZMF Ori pads.
I still have to try the Dekoni pads .

Great info I have been eyeing these.

Sep 17, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #1,205 of 3,156
To me,

To me it's resolution is superior than th600, th900, and even latest other closed cans I had (Eikon)..

3348916169.gif

D7200 are really impressive cans, and if you think about the price, it's almost incredible.... here in EU you can have these beauties for less than 600€
921419.gif

To have a better resolution and a better overall SQ you must scale up to HEKv2, and that's a big compliment IMHO !!

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #1,208 of 3,156
I have two ah-d7200s.. one with ori pads, one with stock pads. Freaking love how they sound.
How do you like the sound of the D7200's with the Ori pads?

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #1,209 of 3,156
I have two ah-d7200s.. one with ori pads, one with stock pads. Freaking love how they sound.
There is a shuddering low end in the bass that is more noticable with the Ori pads.
It is a bass that I have not heard in the others.

Only issue with Ori is the rest of spectrum is toned down.

Larger pads like Audeze will give extreme clarity but you will loose bass and get a brighter signature,,
because loss of bass seal at rear of pad.

To offset this, place two of these rings in pads:
20170728_204432.jpg
Either the clear, or the yellow will do the job to restore bass on larger or looser fitting pads...

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #1,212 of 3,156
I won't sell it if the headband is not designed in that way.

Buy this: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/pilot-pad

It is a game changer for 7200's comfort. Before getting this I couldn't stand wearing them more than couple hours, but now I wear them 8+ hours during weekends no problem.

On the subject of Ori pads - I gave them a try one more time, but went back to stock pads. Ori pads on D7200 provide even more deep thunderous bass, but it dulls all other frequencies, and I find it wrong for most genres of music. If I had 2 pairs of 7200, I would definitely have one with Ori pads for some reggae and D'n'B, but for everyday listening I prefer stock pads.

Now I have another problem - there are times I have to wear my open-ended HD650s to be able to hear when I'm addressed, but I miss the punchy bass of 7200 so much at those moments. I really wish there was a headphone that is close to 7200's signature and was open (and wouldn't cost multiple thousands of dollars).

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #1,215 of 3,156
Are there any known D72000 mods/pads that slightly tame the treble but preserve all other frequencies?

Well, to be honest I don't find 7200 bright at all, just neutral, but everyone's ears are different. You might want to try Ori pads (if your don't mind even more bass) or EQing the stock 7200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back