Denon AH-7200
Feb 21, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #511 of 3,157
I had 30 minutes with the Denon AH-D7200 and got a chance to compare it with AudioQuest NightOwl, I was very impressed by the Denon, like the sound more than AudioQuest, which is more comfortable, but sounds too distant in comparison (best was to describe it, they sound very different). The Denon has a deep bass, but not too deep, the soundstage is very good for a closed design, and the treble is smoother than previous generations, this may well be the best headphone Denon has ever created and I do believe I will buy when I get the money for it, not that it's too expensive, for the sound it delivers it's actually a good deal :)

Need to spend more time with the AH-D7200, 30 minutes is definately not enough, but my first impression was very good.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #513 of 3,157
  During the first day I had that feeling on the top as well but even with a break of a few days that feeling never came back once I found my setting. I think they were too tight before and too loose as well. 7 is a good setting for me now. I'm more happy that the earpads don't bother me like the T5P 2G did (especially on the outer parts of the left ear). 

That was my experience too. What I personally find worked best was to set the headband 1 notch higher than the position that initially seemed right. By doing that much of the downwards pressure is alleviated and some of the 'burden' is taken on by the pads without adversely affecting seal or comfort.

I also find that the 'hot spot' on the top of my head is quite localised so just angling the headband back 1cm or so also helps a lot when I want a snugger fit.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #514 of 3,157
yeah, that was exactly my approach. Same with the HD 650. No book method needed for my large head. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #517 of 3,157
  I can say that the Teak and definitely the X00 had more "present" and "visceral" bass than the 7200...more of the deep bass that kind of shook you, especially in kick drums. The Denons, while not anemic by any stretch, had more articulate, faster and crisper bass, but not as abundant as the E-Mu's--I don't know if I'm hearing more accurate bass, I'll just say that it's not as pronounced as the other cans. Is that a good thing...I don't know yet. 

Any opinion on the 7200 vs the 7000? I love the signature Denon/Fostex sound, naturally, as bass is the most important aspect to me personally. I didn't jump on the 7200 even at the pre sale price, as I was afraid the bass and sub bass might not be as satisfactory as I am accustomed to.  

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #518 of 3,157
  Any opinion on the 7200 vs the 7000? I love the signature Denon/Fostex sound, naturally, as bass is the most important aspect to me personally. I didn't jump on the 7200 even at the pre sale price, as I was afraid the bass and sub bass might not be as satisfactory as I am accustomed to.  

Sorry; I'd have to let someone else chime in on the 7000 comparison as the 7200 is my first set of Denon cans. I know someone made a 7100 comparison a few pages back; maybe there's a 7000 to 7100 thread you could use to extrapolate??? Sorry I couldn't be of more help. FWIW, I do have a set of Lawton spalted maple cups, angled pads, and Level 1 kit coming in a few weeks and a second pair of E-Mus I bought for my wife. I'm thinking the E-Mu, LA-Mu, and 7200 comparison might be very interesting...

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #519 of 3,157
Since my pads came wrongly aligned, can someone post a photo of theirs so I can see how much I have to tilt them so the openings are back in stock position? 

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #520 of 3,157
  Since my pads came wrongly aligned, can someone post a photo of theirs so I can see how much I have to tilt them so the openings are back in stock position? 

FWIW, mine also came misaligned exactly like these with the right pad WAY off kilter from the left which was oriented straight up and down inline with the headband. I'd be curious to know if others found the same when they unboxed as apparently the production QC issue isn't just isolated to my pair!

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #524 of 3,157

i use it exactly like you ..
this is the right cup ?

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #525 of 3,157
I finally got to borrow my friends pair today.

I didn't think these are as good as the original D7000. The D7200 seems to have some high distortion going, upper mid dip, rough treble although the bass does mask some of the treble, it reminds me of the Nighthawk in that department.

Personally if you want audiophile bass cannons look into the NH over these as they seem to resolve better than the D7200.  I'll pend some more time with these but in my experience longer sessions allows listeners to get used to recessions, distortions, and other issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back