Denon AH-7200
Oct 2, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #1,276 of 3,156
I'm finding the stock cable to be pretty good. As I'm breaking the headphones themselves the bass is becoming more defined. I was listening to some reggae yesterday and I could actually differentiate the subbass and midbass. So the bass is becoming layered as well. To test what I was hearing I switched to my Sennheiser HD630VB's and they could not replicate what the D7200's was doing in the bass department. The HD630VB's have very good bass but the D7200's bass is better. I'd have to give the edge in treble to the HD630VB's though. It's a little bit more clearer and lively up top. But I hope the the D7200's reach that level of clarity as they open up. I only have about 25 hours or so on them so far. Can anyone comment on the treble getting better with burn-in?
I ordered a new amp with lower output impedance to be able to hopefully get the most from my AH-7200 (The A30 output impedance is too high for this headphone since its also so sensitive).
I ask about the cable because its not very portable and the 6.35mm jack doesn't fit in my HTC 10 despite the fact that these are really easy to drive headphones.
I will be using the stock cable for home usage.

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #1,277 of 3,156
yes, overall the D7200 will become more refined with more burnin, even if the improvement in the basses are more evident than those in the highs.
btw, the sig of the headphone comprises a slightly recessed highs (but very refined and textured), so it's a characteristic of the D7200.....
The highs are just good enough because it's blends in with the rest of the sound signature. But boy do I wish it was ever so slightly sweeter on the top end. It would turn a great headphone into an amazing one I think.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #1,282 of 3,156
I just picked these up last night after a few demo sessions at the shops. I'm really loving them so far. I currently have Beyer 990/600 Ohm. I wanted an upgrade, something more neutral (compared to the Beyers) as well as easy to drive. I'm plugging them into my Chord Hugo which is driving them beautifully imo and they have a great synergy with the Hugo. The 7200 has more detail and the bass sounds more controlled compared to the beyers. I'll have a more detailed listening session tonight.

They are loud enough on the yellow volume level of the hugo, which is around 25%

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #1,284 of 3,156
I just picked these up last night after a few demo sessions at the shops. I'm really loving them so far. I currently have Beyer 990/600 Ohm. I wanted an upgrade, something more neutral (compared to the Beyers) as well as easy to drive. I'm plugging them into my Chord Hugo which is driving them beautifully imo and they have a great synergy with the Hugo. The 7200 has more detail and the bass sounds more controlled compared to the beyers. I'll have a more detailed listening session tonight.

They are loud enough on the yellow volume level of the hugo, which is around 25%
These are super easy to drive headphones! I have the level on my JDS O2 set to like 20% and its in 1x gain mode (custom o2).

upload_2017-10-4_21-48-4.png

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #1,285 of 3,156
First I made them more sensitive, and that was nice.
then I made them way more bass and that was fun.

Then I made them more detailed lesser bass.
Then I changed the signature and eliminate the peaks.
Then I reduced the resonance around 2.5k.
Then thanks to Zolkis I was able to reduce the 300hz dip with the Twaron he recommended.

So for me it was a fun project,
MAINLY because this specific Dennon driver was more sensitive to modding than the other new cans I tried.
I still not finished with it so no posts yet.

Anyways for now I do recommend the pad change.
I tried the Ori pads and they are great.
I am currently on Ether Electrostatic pads,
Because they give me most open natural bass,
But I have to use two 2.5" round rings with the plastic tabbed ring in order to keep the bass seal.

Thanks again for this great tip I am currently testing how much I would like inside.

I agree to not use the crap rings currently in use with some pads actually cover the driver.

Haha yes but the fun is finding out how high it can climb..

:)

Wow that sounds like an excellent move, I didn't know there would be a thinner pad, nice.

So what are all the mods you have done?
I finally have an Amp which can drive this headphone just fine and I straight don't like it.
Its really dark with alot of bass emphasis, the AH-MM400 sounds better overall...

Oct 5, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #1,286 of 3,156
$1000 is "incredibly low"?????

I'm a bit confused by that statement.

incredibly low referred to EU street price (600€) and with regards to what this headphone compare to IMHO in terms of SQ. of course it was not an absolute statement.

and, yes, there are people that will consider a 100$ headphone as very expensive. so what? I consider a 20$ wine very expensive, while many of my friends consider that same wine only good to cook.

I consider the D7200 at its price incredibly good, that's why I said the price is incredibly low. of course you are totally free to not agree.

Oct 5, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #1,287 of 3,156
I agree with Phaeton ....the D7200 can be found at around 560Euro which is a bargain for a headphone of this caliber...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back