Denon AH-7200
Mar 27, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #841 of 3,157
  My review is live  - I will also try the Lawton pads this week when time permits and let you know if they work or not and [post a picture.

Thank you so much for this great review, i actually have them already but following your section about burn in time and the sound improvements -  i will give them the chance to improve before putting them to sell since my experience with D7000 compared to D7200 is that D7000 is superior in almost any way, but the D7000 had some many of listening hours compared to few on the D7200.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #843 of 3,157
My review is live  - I will also try the Lawton pads this week when time permits and let you know if they work or not and [post a picture.

What a fantastic review! I couldn't agree more with everything you said. My impressions mirror yours, especially with the way the treble does smooth out after burn in and the bass becomes more present, yet tighter and more defined.

:clap_tone2::clap_tone2::clap_tone2:

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #844 of 3,157
endgame, do you still have the T5p 2G? I found that headphone to have stellar imaging for a closed headphone, really excellent when gaming and watching movies. However the rest imo doesn't compare to the 7200, though the "tin can" coloration is easier to avoid for the Denons since they aren't as closed as the T5p 2G. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #845 of 3,157
endgame, do you still have the T5p 2G? I found that headphone to have stellar imaging for a closed headphone, really excellent when gaming and watching movies. However the rest imo doesn't compare to the 7200, though the "tin can" coloration is easier to avoid for the Denons since they aren't as closed as the T5p 2G. 

I had about 20min head time on T5p during CanJam and disliked its artificial treble. The bass and mids are fairly good, but there is something weird going on that makes treble uneven. Fit and comfort are stellar though.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #846 of 3,157

I had about 20min head time on T5p during CanJam and disliked its artificial treble. The bass and mids are fairly good, but there is something weird going on that makes treble uneven. Fit and comfort are stellar though.

I don't have them anymore. I completely agree with Xinghui on the T5P2's. I couldn't take the hot treble. I also find the 7200's soundstage larger and they're more comfortable. Honestly, I've yet to try a Beyerdynamic that I like.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #847 of 3,157
The Denon has played for about 50 Oretta, so even seen your insistence and stress sunny, I'd say it's time to pull down two rows of sound impressions about this headphone.
The pack, even though of good quality is very minimal and includes the simple box, 3 meter cable terminated to 6.3 mm and a soft cloth for cleaning the cup in the wood.
The quality of materials and not least the assembly are first rate; the headset has a design that is very reminiscent of the old Denon (not the Ah-D7100) and Fostex, but after a closer look you can see some small differences that make it different from the latter.
In fact, the frame that contains the halls are much larger, and the screws are not exposed as the TH-900; the construction and the general assembly seems gifts to the headset a feeling of solidity and durability over time.
In head it is lightweight, comfortable and able to listen for hours without any effort of listening; comfort is also guaranteed by the collector well padded (the padding is much more comfortable and generous than that of the old denon or fostex).
As already said the isolation is very good and you are unable to listen at high volume without disturbing around; we are not at the highest levels of insulation of Audeze Xc or Sony Z1R, but one can safely say that you have to deal with a closed cap, unlike the old denon or fostex that can be called semi-open.
As for the sound aspect I can say that this is definitely a nice sounding closed headphone suitable for all kinds of music (I always keep out of my judgments classical music as inexperienced about that kind of music).
To be a headset closed the sound is very open with a very defined and precise stage; you feel air around and all the tools are defined and in place.
It 'very detailed and analytical and you are able to perceive all the micro and macro details perfectly, without losing any sound information.
The sound tends to warm with very slight nuances to the '' dark '', while maintaining a faithful sound message.
The high frequencies are perfect in my opinion, with high dry and never prone to wheezing.
very deep bass, material at the right point but above all very fast; one can see a wonderful sub bass, deep and never pushy or invasive that is blended perfectly with the mid and high frequencies.
I read in some reviews that the bottom of the overseas Denon is slightly less sharp Fostex, but going from memory I find it absolutely on the same level.
The average slightly backward, but give the headset a still pleasant, accurate sound.
Unlike Fostex who tend to express a generally V-sound, the Denon are much more balanced and have their ups very balanced and never fatiguing, with any kind of music ... especially the metal!
I conclude this mini review by saying that I am very pleased with these beautiful headphones.
Amazon took on subject, they are conquering day by day and will sit alongside firmly to My Audeze Lcd 3F.
Not since the Ah-d7000 was expecting a headset so well sounding and I can safely say that after the flop of 7100 (imho), Denon has quietly returned to gamble with the top of the closed headphones on the market.
Hoping to be helpful, I will try to keep you updated in the continuation of the break.
Good listening to all

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #848 of 3,157
The Denon has played for about 50 Oretta, so even seen your insistence and stress sunny, I'd say it's time to pull down two rows of sound impressions about this headphone.
The pack, even though of good quality is very minimal and includes the simple box, 3 meter cable terminated to 6.3 mm and a soft cloth for cleaning the cup in the wood.

The quality of materials and not least the assembly are first rate; the headset has a design that is very reminiscent of the old Denon (not the Ah-D7100) and Fostex, but after a closer look you can see some small differences that make it different from the latter.

In fact, the frame that contains the halls are much larger, and the screws are not exposed as the TH-900; the construction and the general assembly seems gifts to the headset a feeling of solidity and durability over time.
In head it is lightweight, comfortable and able to listen for hours without any effort of listening; comfort is also guaranteed by the collector well padded (the padding is much more comfortable and generous than that of the old denon or fostex).

As already said the isolation is very good and you are unable to listen at high volume without disturbing around; we are not at the highest levels of insulation of Audeze Xc or Sony Z1R, but one can safely say that you have to deal with a closed cap, unlike the old denon or fostex that can be called semi-open.
As for the sound aspect I can say that this is definitely a nice sounding closed headphone suitable for all kinds of music (I always keep out of my judgments classical music as inexperienced about that kind of music).

To be a headset closed the sound is very open with a very defined and precise stage; you feel air around and all the tools are defined and in place.

It 'very detailed and analytical and you are able to perceive all the micro and macro details perfectly, without losing any sound information.

The sound tends to warm with very slight nuances to the '' dark '', while maintaining a faithful sound message.

The high frequencies are perfect in my opinion, with high dry and never prone to wheezing.

very deep bass, material at the right point but above all very fast; one can see a wonderful sub bass, deep and never pushy or invasive that is blended perfectly with the mid and high frequencies.

I read in some reviews that the bottom of the overseas Denon is slightly less sharp Fostex, but going from memory I find it absolutely on the same level.

The average slightly backward, but give the headset a still pleasant, accurate sound.

Unlike Fostex who tend to express a generally V-sound, the Denon are much more balanced and have their ups very balanced and never fatiguing, with any kind of music ... especially the metal!
I conclude this mini review by saying that I am very pleased with these beautiful headphones.

Amazon took on subject, they are conquering day by day and will sit alongside firmly to My Audeze Lcd 3F.

Not since the Ah-d7000 was expecting a headset so well sounding and I can safely say that after the flop of 7100 (imho), Denon has quietly returned to gamble with the top of the closed headphones on the market.

Hoping to be helpful, I will try to keep you updated in the continuation of the break.

Good listening to all

Great review! Thanks!

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #850 of 3,157
I tried dekoni th900 earpads today and they fit without too much problem. they are however a little bigger than the stock pads, so the fit is a bit loose in comparison. The bass is elevated a bit that the slope become similar to TH900s. Treble also gets interesting because, with the pad swap, the peaks are D7000s alike.  Pad swap can change the sound signature easily both to due to the fit and earpad openings, but I'm still unsure whether it is a good or bad one. Only time will tell.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #851 of 3,157

masterfully reviewed, however why are they so difficult to get as availability is severely limited.

They available on Amazon, Crutchfield and other Pron audio sites. Best Buy probably carrying them as well. Ebay has venders as well/

Great Review, thanks Frank !

Being that biocellulose is one type of many nano-fibers, is it confirmed the AH-D7200 use biocellulose drivers ? And, who ( ? not Foster ? ) makes the AH-D7200 drivers in Japan for Denon ?

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #853 of 3,157

Nicely written review, a fine read, thanks!
I share your opinion on the D7200's sound and am intersted on your impressions when used with the Lawton pads.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #854 of 3,157

Still waiting on impressions with Lawton pads Frank!
  I tried dekoni th900 earpads today and they fit without too much problem. they are however a little bigger than the stock pads, so the fit is a bit loose in comparison. The bass is elevated a bit that the slope become similar to TH900s. Treble also gets interesting because, with the pad swap, the peaks are D7000s alike.  Pad swap can change the sound signature easily both to due to the fit and earpad openings, but I'm still unsure whether it is a good or bad one. Only time will tell.

Well, this news is cause for concern.  Would you say they sound closer to the TH900 with those Dekoni pads??

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #855 of 3,157

If I look at the pics I see previous generation Lawton cups won't fit, the screws are simply in a different place.
The pads look about the same size to me but I'm not a fan of the new non-twisting mechanism either, prone to breaking.

We are all waiting on you Frank!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back