denon ah 5000? not impressed
Nov 12, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #16 of 29
If your passion is voices, tdock, then I suggest you look into Audio Technica. If the K601 sounds anything like the K701, the vocals are still a bit laid back in comparison to Audio Technicas.

A couple months ago, I had the W1000 at the same time that I had the K701, Sony CD900ST studio monitor, and the Denon D7000. The Audio Technicas definitely had more upfront vocals vs all the present headphones then. Initially, i hated the W1000. I found it nasal sounding, lacking in treble resolution compared to K701, and lacking in bass compared to Denon. However, after awhile, I grew accustomed to the upfront mids of the ATs and I could not live without the vocal magic of the headphones. I certainly have not heard better vocals in all my search then.

then W11JPN has even more upfront mids than the W1000 and is less picky towards amplification. The W1000 primarily chooses tubes due to its extremely dry character. I have also tried the W1000X and it is definitely a better headphone than any of the Denon series IMO. Not as much sub bass response, but much better balanced sound. Vocals are more upfront, bass is tighter, huge soundstage, immense level of detail. the bass impact of the W1000X is also similar to that in the Denon D7000. When it comes to vocals, I feel Audio Technicas such as the W11JPN, trump the Senn HD800 and Beyer T1. But I'm still searching. Audio Technicas are not without their faults

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #17 of 29
Thanks for your interesting post. I definitely want to try out more Audio Technica headphones. It's just too bad many of them are not designed well for my small head! My head isn't even that small to begin with. The AD700 was such a bad fit for me and I think many of the others are designed in the same way. I don't know why but it seems like many of the very good Audio Technica models are a bit hard to find in the USA or priced very high due to being difficult to find. I wish I could, but I don't think I could even force myself to buy a headphone over $600. I think one of the best ones you've suggested to me before was only $500 on Ebay.

I actually am not a fan of the vocals on the k701 at all. They're not bad, but I actually preferred the vocals of the HD-600. I absolutely love the k601 for vocals and  I suggest you try to demo them if you can. I think you'd like them. The vocals are much more forward on the k601 compared to the k701, so I guess this means the k601 is less neutral, but that's OK for me. I also think everything sounds more natural to my ears on the k601 compared to the k701.

I thought my cheap DJ100 had great vocals until I heard the k601. They're the best i've heard, but I'm definitely trying to find something that's better, but it's hard to believe there is such a headphone!

Quote:
If your passion is voices, tdock, then I suggest you look into Audio Technica. If the K601 sounds anything like the K701, the vocals are still a bit laid back in comparison to Audio Technicas.

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #18 of 29
I have the D5000 and I don't believe that the mids are recessed I believe that the bass is encroaches on the mids a bit. Also my experience is the first thing they do when underpowered is lose control of the bass. The less power they get the bloomier and less detailed the bass becomes. Try EQ the bass down a bit and see if you like the mids any better. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #19 of 29
I have borrowed the D5000 for a few days before and hated them. They were uncomfortable due to the pleather eadpads and the clamp they had (made me feel kinda claustrophobic), there was way too much bass, mids were too far back (probably as a result of all the bass) and the treble was much too bright. Definitely not my type of can. DT880 are more what I like.

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #20 of 29

Quote:
I have borrowed the D5000 for a few days before and hated them. They were uncomfortable due to the pleather eadpads and the clamp they had (made me feel kinda claustrophobic), there was way too much bass, mids were too far back (probably as a result of all the bass) and the treble was much too bright. Definitely not my type of can. DT880 are more what I like.

Are you sure they were D5000s? I have never until now hear of someone complain about their comfort. First thing I always hear when I let some one try mine out is compliments on how comfortable they are. 

I agree with the treble being a bit too bright. But not much else. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 29
Definitely D5000s. I hated the LCD-2 for comfort too. And Beyerdynamic T1 for that matter. DT880 are heaven though, so I am probably used to them too much...

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #22 of 29
I'll preface this by saying that I've only listened to a D2000 on an Asgard at a meet.  A quick listen through my normal Denon audition material.  Music selections I know are recessed on the D2000. Still just a quick listen so take this with a grain of salt.

The D2000 still has the same recessed mids when played on the Asgard as on other amps.  The Asgard doesn't magically change the frequency response in the mids.  As far as I could tell the frequency response in the mids was the same as what I'm used to hearing on the D2000 when amped well.  

The Asgard did however seem to bring out details and dynamics in the mids and a certain sharpness or edge that could lead you to believe the mids are less recessed.  You're hearing more detail or a clearer sound in the mids and when hearing that extra detail it seems like the mids must be less recessed, but they're not.  But an amp that makes the mids sound less recessed is a good thing, especially since it seems to do it by bringing out more detail or clarity rather than by blooming the mids like some tube amps can do.

Unfortunately the Asgard also seemed to do the same for the Denon highs.  Made the highs sharper and pronounced which isn't necessarily something everyone will want with a Denon.  The Denon highs are already a bit overdone as it is.  My x-head amp has a nice effect of taming the Denon highs at the expense of some other aspects of the sound.

I'm a bit conflicted with the Asgard.  I want it for my HD600.  It seemed to do well with my Grado 325is.  Not so sure I want it for my D2000.  I'll need to listen again and try it with my EQ settings I like with my D2000 and see if that changes things and tames the highs relatively to the mids.  I suspect that my EQ may get the highs more in line with the mids and be more balanced to my ears.

The Denon likes to be amped well.  The groupthink here that the Denon can work "unamped" from a sound card or directly from a portable is not true.  The Denon can work OK "unamped" some home receivers or home DACs or home CD players.  But you can't carry that over to battery powered devices, USB powered devices or PCI bus powered devices.

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #24 of 29
I agree with those who say that the D5k's bass encroaches on the rest of the spectrum and thus effectively gives the impression of recessed mids. The massive, flabby bass... amped or not, was the reason for me to get rid of them. On music where there was little from 200hz down, the D5k is stellar. Not neutral, but warm and rich, like the HD600, but with clear, crisp highs.

@ stang, as with ClassicThunder, I've never heard the Denons termed uncomfortable. Many rate them highly for comfort (as do I). They are certainly not 'slipper-like' as the DT880 (amazing!), but not torturous like the SRH840 (inquisition-like).

But sound-wise, I solved any and all the D5k's issues with the D7k. With a very good SS amp, the D7k are simply amazing. Though unlike the D5k... I actually do find a portion of the mids which are very slightly recessed with the D7k. Not much of an issue, however as the rest of what it does is so great.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:
Definitely D5000s. I hated the LCD-2 for comfort too. And Beyerdynamic T1 for that matter. DT880 are heaven though, so I am probably used to them too much...

how's the comfort of the akg 1000 ? it must have hurt?? :p

They are very comfortable. No pressure on my head at all.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #26 of 29
maybe I need a different amp other than the auss essence st?

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #28 of 29
You need to tell us what you didn't like about the D5000, maybe it's sound signature isn't what you are looking for. And if you are expecting to be blown away for something of its price, most people would have told you that the D5000 is a marginal improvement from the D2000 at best and you should have gotten the D2000 instead. And have you set the ST to a higher gain?

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #29 of 29
sent them back.

thanks for everything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back