DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Jan 24, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #826 of 1,025
Any good news to share ? Cheers.
Unfortunately no... It happened again.

Just re-flashed my DDC/DAC firmware back to 3.6 and I'm testing it now. To be honest, I don't think this will fix it. I'm sure I will have the same issue later tonight or tomorrow (around 2nd - 3rd day from each power cycle).

Looking to switch to Holo May KTE or Lampizator Atlantic 2 TRP (this one I have to put in quite a lot more money).

Jan 24, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #827 of 1,025

Just re-flashed my DDC/DAC firmware back to 3.6 and I'm testing it now. To be honest, I don't think this will fix it. I'm sure I will have the same issue later tonight or tomorrow (around 2nd - 3rd day from each power cycle).

Looking to switch to Holo May KTE or Lampizator Atlantic 2 TRP (this one I have to put in quite a lot more money).
Sorry to hear ....

Just me but in the unlikely scenario of changing dac from already Denafrips ecosystem with Avatar, Hermes and upgraded T+ with synced clock to the upgraded oxco clock, I would only look at a dac with ethernet input for my Antipodes that is missing in the Denafrips setup but certainly not tubed dac.

For your consideration.

Jan 24, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #828 of 1,025

Sounds like you have a hardware problem. Alvin can help you. See post #823

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #829 of 1,025
Alvin has always been able to help me resolve any issues. I'm super happy with my Denafrips gear. My noise issue was caused by the hdmi cable, not the equipment.

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #830 of 1,025
I'm happy for you guys who can enjoy their trouble-free Denafrips products. Too bad I'm not that fortunate. I did contact Alvin some weeks ago, and I chatted with him along with the Denafrips' official partner in my country, but as of now, it seems there is still no certainty of what might have caused the issue.

I did several tests and the problem still persisted, namely:
  • Replacing I2S Cable (with standard Audioquest cable and not exotic audiophile one).
  • Using a good quality Coax cable (instead of I2S Cable).
  • Borrowed my friend's Aurender N10 to test the N10's USB / Coax output directly to the Dac.
  • Removing the DDC from the chain / connecting the N100 directly with the Dac via a USB cable.
I have a very demanding full time job and now I had to spend all my free time dealing with all these hassles. If your units work flawlessly, you might not appreciate how frustrated this would be. The bad part is that, this problem is difficult to detect. One must pay close attention to the noise and know what to look for. I might have to send the Dac to Denafrips or its partner here to have the unit inspected, and I'm not sure if they can identify the issue (might take several weeks or months).

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #831 of 1,025
@PrTv I am definitely sorry to hear of your continued issues. I am sympathetic to your situation, as I have had more than my fair share of problems with various pieces of audio gear over the years, from various manufacturers.

I have some "bricked" gear that I had to throw away due to no support (LH Labs DAC as an example). I am also currently having some signal locking issues with one of my DAC's (not Denafrips), where the sound stops, and I have to power cycle the DAC or computer every couple of days to fix it (some days I have to power cycle 3 or 4 times a day, it is random). It is very annoying.

I sort of expect issues to happen from time to time. I just try to buy from manufacturers who will provide support and Alvin has always done that for me. It does seem as though you are right that you may need to send in your unit for diagnosis/repair, but it will get sorted out. Hopefully you have some spare gear you can substitute while your unit is being fixed.

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #832 of 1,025
@PrTv I am definitely sorry to hear of your continued issues. I am sympathetic to your situation, as I have had more than my fair share of problems with various pieces of audio gear over the years, from various manufacturers.

I have some "bricked" gear that I had to throw away due to no support (LH Labs DAC as an example). I am also currently having some signal locking issues with one of my DAC's (not Denafrips), where the sound stops, and I have to power cycle the DAC or computer every couple of days to fix it (some days I have to power cycle 3 or 4 times a day, it is random). It is very annoying.

I sort of expect issues to happen from time to time. I just try to buy from manufacturers who will provide support and Alvin has always done that for me. It does seem as though you are right that you may need to send in your unit for diagnosis/repair, but it will get sorted out. Hopefully you have some spare gear you can substitute while your unit is being fixed.
Thanks Blake

Yes I have the excellent QB9 Twenty to use in TP’s place if I have to send in the TP.

Regarding your problem, I know it’s unrelated to this thread but would that Dac that has locking problem be your Holo? I’m about to buy the May KTE and get rid of the TP so this information is also useful for me.

Jan 26, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #833 of 1,025
Yes, it is my Spring 3 but the issue only surfaced when I moved that DAC to a different system that is based on a MacBook Pro. I never had any issues when it was in my PC-based system.

Having said that, I have been so incredibly busy at work, I haven't had time to contact Kitsune HiFi to ask for assistance to help me address the problem. I did get some input from members here on Head-Fi on things to try, but that silly thing called work is getting in the way :relaxed:

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #834 of 1,025
The Venus II has been my favorite DAC for months now. It's ability to flesh out details and give music breathing room made listening sessions addicting. With how impressive this was in my setup, incorporating the flagship almost immediately entered my mind. ''How can it get any better? I gotta throw a Terminator or Terminator + in here to know for sure''. Wait no longer, my Terminator Plus will be here Thursday.

Currently have a Gaia in my setup as well, would just using the i2S to Termi + be a wiser choice than bypassing the internal clocks with 75ohm BNC cables? Don't mind purchasing some just to A/B test, but want to know from others what sounds better.

Jan 31, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #835 of 1,025
^^congrats on the purchase! T+ and Gaia is a terrific combo. IMO, since you have the Gaia, for sure get an inexpensive clock cable and do some A/B.

The clock-out feature is sonically amazing and an absolute no-brainer so get that clock cable and do some experimenting. Using I2S input on the T+, while having the clock-out feature engaged is the absolute best combo IMO and there is no contest.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #836 of 1,025
Currently have a Gaia in my setup as well, would just using the i2S to Termi + be a wiser choice than bypassing the internal clocks with 75ohm BNC cables?
As stated already, once you have T+ + Gaia, there is no alternative, but use both: I2S connection with two feed-back clock cables. Get inexpensive set of HDMI and two BNC cables, save money on the expensive HDMI cable, it is not needed in this configuration and report back. :)

Feb 1, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #837 of 1,025
^^congrats on the purchase! T+ and Gaia is a terrific combo. IMO, since you have the Gaia, for sure get an inexpensive clock cable and do some A/B.

The clock-out feature is sonically amazing and an absolute no-brainer so get that clock cable and do some experimenting. Using I2S input on the T+, while having the clock-out feature engaged is the absolute best combo IMO and there is no contest.

+2. Congratulations!

I have the T2 and got my Gaia while I was still waiting for BNC cables for the clock out. Adding the Gaia on I2S was major upgrade, but adding the clock out took it to another level all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back