DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Nov 14, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #796 of 1,025
I think that's the issue with wanting to "upgrade" every 5 minutes? I think folks should consider settling down ...taking a deep breath and keeping your gear (and be happy with it) for at least a few years. There is always going to be something "better". If you play into this you'll never be satisfied. I was like this too, but eventually got to the point where "good enough" is a much more sustainable existance. I've set myself an imposed limit of at least 5 years with the gear I buy, before even considering a change. Made me and my wallet a lot happier!
Wisdom for sure. I have the Pontus II and want to upgrade further up the Denafrips chain, but just adore how the Pontus sounds. I am going to go the route of adding an Iris and then sitting still to enjoy what I have for the time being. It is definitely true that because things are constantly being upgraded, their value dissipates quickly. Golf is the same way. Every new driver each year promises more and more. The reality is that they are basically all the same with a different paint job and maybe a bit different acoustics. DACs sre the worst in this regard because the tech is constantly evolving. However, the difference in sound from one to the next is negligible at best. Good sound is good sound regardless of the model or the year it was designed.

Nov 14, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #797 of 1,025
It’s a great organic-sounding combo, but I kinda wish for a tablespoon of the legendary smoothness of the Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC and the X-Bass switch from the iCan Pro amp to add to the mix.

Believe how smooth a system sounds depends on more than just the dac e.g. speakers, preamp, player etc. while admittedly had no experience with mola mola Tambaqui dac.

For a start, try tuning with cabling ? I keep a barrage of interconnects to do that .. a bit like tube rolling.

For me, the high resolution of Denafrips Tplus is the basis of my system since once lost of the source cannot be recovered but guess that can be said for all components especially our speakers that makes up the system.

Cheers.

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #798 of 1,025
Wisdom for sure. I have the Pontus II and want to upgrade further up the Denafrips chain, but just adore how the Pontus sounds. I am going to go the route of adding an Iris and then sitting still to enjoy what I have for the time being. It is definitely true that because things are constantly being upgraded, their value dissipates quickly. Golf is the same way. Every new driver each year promises more and more. The reality is that they are basically all the same with a different paint job and maybe a bit different acoustics. DACs sre the worst in this regard because the tech is constantly evolving. However, the difference in sound from one to the next is negligible at best. Good sound is good sound regardless of the model or the year it was designed.

My golf had prematured death when my 3rd child arrived some 19 yrs ago and cannot share my experience on yours.

On dac and particularly on Denafrips that I do have experience in my fairly high resolution system, each model upwards and upgrades brought about obvious improvement without doubt.

How incremental or if worthwhile is subjective and dependent on how much I wish and can afford to spend but it is nice to know that improvement is available ... different topic from perhaps the concern on resale of value of older models.

Cheers.

PS: I opted for usd4k oladra upgrade of my 2 yrs old Antipodes cx+ex stack originally at usd10k as I did not wish to spend on latest K50 usd15k at substantial loss from usd10k ... at the least, this differentiate mine from non upgraded stack eapecially since upgrade is for limited time period

Jan 2, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #800 of 1,025
Jan 2, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #804 of 1,025
Beekhuyzen made a video about it, might give you some insight

I liked this review. A buddy has the DAVE and M Scaler and he LOVES it. He is super interested in a Terminator Plus for a 2nd system. Iris for my Pontus this year, and maybe a Termi in 2023. I am going to try and stay still with my chain for 1 year and see if I can do it!

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #805 of 1,025
You already have dave ? If yes then buy m scaler instead of thinking of changing the dac. My humble suggestion would be tt2 with m scaler, directly feeding to benchmark ahb2 both tt2 and ahb2 in low gain mode. It's end game.
Agreed... I would take the TT2+MScaler over the TP+DDC anyday.

Jan 3, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #806 of 1,025
Agreed... I would take the TT2+MScaler over the TP+DDC anyday.
Make sense ... usd10.3k vs usd6.2k.

You need upgraded TP maybe 😂

Wow .. Dave is usd10k+ by itself which I am quite sure beyond even any upgraded TP 👍👍👏👏

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-165646_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-165646_Chrome.jpg
    822.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220103-170147_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-170147_Chrome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220103-165354_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-165354_Drive.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220103-171038_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-171038_Chrome.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #808 of 1,025

Attachments

• 20220103_221331.jpg
    20220103_221331.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 0
Jan 3, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #809 of 1,025
Because of this ?
Chord products tend to be pretty analytical. Extremely detailed and there is no doubt Chord makes great products. Just not for everyone... not for me. I'd take my Pontus over the TT2. I haven't heard the DAVE since CanJam SoCal 17, so I can't say what it sounds like any longer. I'd take the Terminator II or Terminator Plus over the TT2 in a heartbeat. Never heard the M Scaler, so no clue how much it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back