DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Feb 2, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #841 of 1,025
I have a T2 and Gaia , can i use cheap HDMI and cheap BNC, or better use cheap hdmi and better Bnc or vice versa ?
Just match impedance of the cable, 75 Ohm if not mistaken.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #842 of 1,025
Terminator Plus has landed. Warming her up for what'll hopefully be an enjoyable first impression. A lot larger than I imagined! It makes the Venus II look small, and that was massive to me for a DAC already.

Still.. I can't take away from how impressive this unit is. The built quality, craftsmanship, technology.. I'm sure this is going to sound beautiful.

Attachments

• IMG_1525.JPG
    IMG_1525.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1528.JPG
    IMG_1528.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1529.JPG
    IMG_1529.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Feb 2, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #843 of 1,025
I have a T2 and Gaia , can i use cheap HDMI and cheap BNC, or better use cheap hdmi and better Bnc or vice versa ?
You certainly can, but I’ve found the HDMI and BNC cables to impact sound quite a bit - not necessarily better, but a different tonal balance.

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #845 of 1,025
The power cords and the USB, HDMI and clock cables all impact the sound with this combo (as do footers). This has been true with all my gear from various manufacturers over the years so nothing new here.

Having said that, with the Denafrips DAC/DDC combos, even with cheap cabling everything still sounds very, very good and nobody should feel pressured here, but for those looking to further tweak, tune, change, enhance and/or possibly further improve things, if your budget allows... go for it! I did and I'm happy with the results.

Also, if you are not a believer in cables, that is 100% fine... nothing to see here, just go with specs and move along.

YMMV

Feb 4, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #846 of 1,025
The power cords and the USB, HDMI and clock cables all impact the sound with this combo (as do footers). This has been true with all my gear from various manufacturers over the years so nothing new here.

Having said that, with the Denafrips DAC/DDC combos, even with cheap cabling everything still sounds very, very good and nobody should feel pressured here, but for those looking to further tweak, tune, change, enhance and/or possibly further improve things, if your budget allows... go for it! I did and I'm happy with the results.

Also, if you are not a believer in cables, that is 100% fine... nothing to see here, just go with specs and move along.

YMMV
In my experience, between BNC and I2S cables, I can hear sonic improvement much more clearly with the I2S cable. Upgrading the BNC cables, in my case, improve the sound in a lesser degree.

I had to switch from a pair of Canere 75Ohm, to SR cables because the SR could help lessen sharpness/brightness in my system a bit (just a bit). The 2 SR BNC cables combined is more expensive than the Hermes itself. So not so worthly of investment I must say…

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #847 of 1,025
In my experience, between BNC and I2S cables, I can hear sonic improvement much more clearly with the I2S cable. Upgrading the BNC cables, in my case, improve the sound in a lesser degree.
True. Even more. With a clock connection between T+ and DDC, difference between AES (or S/PDIF) data connection and I2S is smaller, you save a fortune on the top audiophile quality cables. If there is a diference, then there is something wrong with implementation.

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #848 of 1,025
Denafrips Terminator Plus First Impressions.

Just straight away, adding this to my setup has been the largest leap in sound quality yet. Immediately on first listen I noticed texture and details on tracks I hadn’t heard before. Usually it takes some time for a component to settle in before noticing these changes. Not this time.

Soundstage is monumental. It gives so much room for instruments to materialize out of thin air. This is aided by the darkest background I’ve personally heard from an audio component. Everything comes through with more confidence than on the Venus II and it’s not subtle either. Music sounds alive. The minimal amount of sibilance (if any) heard on the Venus II is practically erased. Pleasing, powerful, transparent, and resolving are some of the words that come to mind. It’s a serious piece of equipment that can transform your system, given one has the right level of gear. Height and depth seem limitless. Paired with the Susvara, decay is on another level with vocals especially creeping into haunting levels of transparency. Namely while listening to Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Soundtrack in 24bit, there were moments where I took the headphones off and just sat there in disbelief. Just.. the amount of information there is mind boggling. As if this wasn’t addicting already, the Terminator Plus is a hypothetical audio crack machine with an unlimited supply.

I can see why so many review it with flying colors. It’s the best DAC I’ve heard to date & a remarkable piece of engineering. Happy to be part of the club & can’t wait for the many listening sessions this DAC is sure to elevate.

Feb 5, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #849 of 1,025
If ppl are willing to pay 4-5k for r-2r dacs why not just get used MSB analog and power base? Possibly significant sound improvement and US based service.

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #850 of 1,025
There are number offerings in this price range i.e. Sonnet Morpheus (NOS) or Rockna Wavelight. The later (I think) was licencing MSB ladder modules, now developed their own. These are not US based, but represent interesting development that directly translate to a sound. :)

On a Chineese front a pair of R7HE and DI-20HE from Audio GD has better upgradability to a third-party high precision clock than T+/T2 with DDC and SQ is improved significantly with MK2 version. Musician came with a new high-end DAC, it has yet to be proven, but worth checking.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #851 of 1,025
Denafrips Terminator Plus Prime impressioni.

Immediatamente, l'aggiunta di questo alla mia configurazione è stato il più grande salto di qualità del suono mai realizzato. Immediatamente al primo ascolto ho notato texture e dettagli su brani che non avevo mai sentito prima. Di solito ci vuole del tempo prima che un componente si stabilisca prima di notare questi cambiamenti. Non questa volta.

Il palcoscenico è monumentale. Dà così tanto spazio agli strumenti per materializzarsi dal nulla. Ciò è aiutato dallo sfondo più scuro che ho sentito personalmente da un componente audio. Tutto arriva con più sicurezza rispetto al Venus II e non è nemmeno sottile. La musica suona viva. La minima quantità di sibilanti (se presenti) ascoltata su Venus II viene praticamente cancellata. Piacevole, potente, trasparente e risolutivo sono alcune delle parole che mi vengono in mente. È un'apparecchiatura seria che può trasformare il tuo sistema, a condizione che tu abbia il giusto livello di attrezzatura. Altezza e profondità sembrano illimitate. Accoppiato con il Susvara, il decadimento è su un altro livello con la voce che si insinua particolarmente in livelli inquietanti di trasparenza. Vale a dire durante l'ascolto di Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Soundtrack a 24 bit, ci sono stati momenti in cui mi sono tolto le cuffie e mi sono seduto lì incredulo. Solo... la quantità di informazioni che c'è è sbalorditiva. Come se questo non creasse già dipendenza, Terminator Plus è un'ipotetica macchina per crack audio con una fornitura illimitata.

Posso capire perché così tanti lo recensiscono a pieni voti. È il miglior DAC che abbia sentito fino ad oggi e un notevole pezzo di ingegneria. Felice di far parte del club e non vedo l'ora delle numerose sessioni di ascolto che questo DAC eleverà sicuramente.
Un saluto. Sono interessato a D. e quindi sarebbe utile se potessi condividere l'esperienza "operativa" sia con Venus che con T + .... Sono sicuro che suona alla grande. Nessun problema di affidabilità,nessun problema di connessione o rumore ?.. Qualcuno sul forum D. (FB) parla di qualche problema di rumore, in T+,Venus e Pontus II, forse risolto con l'aiuto di Alvin....ho un'alta efficienza sistema (non sono un tipo headfone) e ogni piccolo problema diventa un "grande" problema .... spero nella tua opinione. Grazie

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #852 of 1,025
Un saluto. Sono interessato a D. e quindi sarebbe utile se potessi condividere l'esperienza "operativa" sia con Venus che con T + .... Sono sicuro che suona alla grande. Nessun problema di affidabilità,nessun problema di connessione o rumore ?.. Qualcuno sul forum D. (FB) parla di qualche problema di rumore, in T+,Venus e Pontus II, forse risolto con l'aiuto di Alvin....ho un'alta efficienza sistema (non sono un tipo headfone) e ogni piccolo problema diventa un "grande" problema .... spero nella tua opinione. Grazie
Sorry in English.......A greeting. I'm interested in D. and so it would be useful if you could share the "operational" experience with both Venus and T + .... No reliability problems, no connection issues or noise?... Someone on D.forum (FB) talks about some noise problem, perhaps solved with the help of Alvin .... I have a high efficiency system (I'm not a headfhone guy) and every little problem becomes a "big" problem .... I hope for your opinion. Thank you

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #855 of 1,025
Sorry in English.......A greeting. I'm interested in D. and so it would be useful if you could share the "operational" experience with both Venus and T + .... No reliability problems, no connection issues or noise?... Someone on D.forum (FB) talks about some noise problem, perhaps solved with the help of Alvin .... I have a high efficiency system (I'm not a headfhone guy) and every little problem becomes a "big" problem .... I hope for your opinion. Thank you
I had Venus II DAC with no problems, very reliable, good quality DAC. If you are interestet, there is my Denafrips Venus II vs Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE comparison on "Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC" thread (post nr. 2720).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back