DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Dec 31, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #601 of 1,025
If it was 1.536MHz sampling rate you were asking, then yes, Terminator can handle it quite well, the dropouts you referred to normally is caused by a less powerful computer.
Hmm, okay. This was pretty constant crackling sound.

I'm using a 2012 MacBook Pro, and made sure to use the least demanding filters as part of my testing, and CPU usage for HQ Player never went above 60% in any case. Also, the most demanding filters at 768k never give me any problems. So I'm assuming it's not a CPU performance issue. Though I could be wrong.

Good to have confirmation that 1.5Mhz is confirmed to work in general, though

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #602 of 1,025
Hmm, okay. This was pretty constant crackling sound.

I'm using a 2012 MacBook Pro, and made sure to use the least demanding filters as part of my testing, and CPU usage for HQ Player never went above 60% in any case. Also, the most demanding filters at 768k never give me any problems. So I'm assuming it's not a CPU performance issue. Though I could be wrong.

Good to have confirmation that 1.5Mhz is confirmed to work in general, though

Just wanted to follow up on my issue -- using my main desktop PC, 1.5Mhz upscaling is working from HQPlayer. So my old Macbook Pro is either too slow, or something else. But the important point as far as this thread is concerned is that the Terminator is working fine @ 1.5.

Jan 12, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #605 of 1,025
Has anyone been able to get the dual AES input to work with the firmware update? Particularly if you have a non-mscaler input. With my mscaler I can now get only only one channel to work up to 3xxkhz upsampling, and can’t get anything out of 7xx upscaling. Strange that only one channel is working.

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #607 of 1,025
Does the Terminator need a long time to warm up to sound good? I heard that it takes a few hours to warm up after turning it on?

Hi jb,

Yes to me if you leave it switched off for days, weeks and months.

If you need to switch off to re-arrange your cabling for a few minutes, I cannot tell the difference.

Guess it takes hours or days for the many capacitors implemented to discharge that requires hours to get back to peak performance.

Cheers.

Richard

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #608 of 1,025
Hi jb,

Yes to me if you leave it switched off for days, weeks and months.

If you need to switch off to re-arrange your cabling for a few minutes, I cannot tell the difference.

Guess it takes hours or days for the many capacitors implemented to discharge that requires hours to get back to peak performance.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the answer. Do you think it would discharge if I used it in the evening then turn it off for the night and then turn it on the next evening? I heard some people leave it on all the time.

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #609 of 1,025
Hi Richard,

Thank you for the answer. Do you think it would discharge if I used it in the evening then turn it off for the night and then turn it on the next evening? I heard some people leave it on all the time.

Hi jb,

I am one of those who leaves my equipment, including the Terminator, switched on all the time ... it is only <=20W and I do buy the idea that associated surge from switching on/off of electronics cause more damage than keeping it powered up if power/heat is not an issue.

I only put my audible illusion preamp to standby mode to keep the tubes warmed up and the designer of my sanders magtech class AB power amp also recommends it to be switched on since its proprietary design runs on only 40w at idle ... I listen to my system almost every day.

While not knowing the internal resistance and overall capacitance, I am pretty sure the capacitors will be fully discharged about 12 hrs of powering off for the night and switching it off next evening:

http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/How-long-does-it-take-to-discharge-a-capacitor

Cheers.

Richard

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200114-152530_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200114-152530_Drive.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200114-152740_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200114-152740_Chrome.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #610 of 1,025
Screenshot_20200114-152530_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20200114-152740_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #611 of 1,025

The next day I was a guest of my old audiophile friend, his room resembles a shop for how many components are present.
This time the challenge was towards the Cary Audio DMC600 SE, even here the Terminator has shown better qualities in terms of soundstage and detail. For information, Cary costs more than twice the Terminator.....:smile_phones::smile_phones::smile_phones:

What is the circular glass/plastic thingimabob?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back