DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Apr 8, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #301 of 1,025
It's a difficult question to answer.

Most of the USB output from a general purpose computer/pc/mac are not dedicated for USB-Audio, unlike SoTM/Innuos/Aurender, just to name a few.
Let's put into perspective to compare, say for example:
  1. Comparing Aurender USB output VS a RPI i2s output, some may hear better sound quality with Aurender.
  2. Comparing RPI USB Output VS W4S Music Server i2s output, some may hear better sound quality with W4s.
Whether one can hear the difference from the different sources/connections, is heavily dependent on the resolution of the entire system. In general, the DAC's performance scale up to the source quality considerably.

Srajan @ 6moons did a Digital Interface review, it might be interesting to read.
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/i2s/

3b.jpg

p/s: The DSP board upgrade is user replaceable. It's like PCI card, plug and play. More details will be released in due time.

Many thanks.

Best,
Alvin @ Vinshine Audio
Interesting.
I am using my AK SP1000 as a renderer via usb to the Terminator. I have Moon Audio USB C to USB B cable. Is it possible to connect the AK to the Terminator via i2s?

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #304 of 1,025
Apr 8, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #306 of 1,025
I have read reviews saying that on the Terminator the USB implementation is better than i2s.
Remember every signal goes through internal I2S including USB after conversion in USB controller (egz XMOS etc.). So everything depends on external converter but I2S is always primary to anything.

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #307 of 1,025
I am using AQ Chocolate (is2) from Gustard to Termy. It sounds really good. One of my friend tried a Chinese brand which comes recommended from CA forum, but, the Chocolate beat it without even breaking a sweat according to him. It was tried with the Gustard U16 and also the Singxer SU1. The best combo is Gustard U16 with Chocolate. Hope it helps.

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #310 of 1,025
I'm using a Singxer su-6 with my termy too, it's the best sounding DDC that I've tried. Very happy with it.
Unfortunately simultaneously with the DDC arriving the AK sp1000 I was using as a renderer to my Terminator died. I changed to MBP/Roon as renderer: so I am not sure how much of the change/improvement is due to what.
However I originally switched from MBP/Roon to the AK as I felt it sounded better so I expect the improvement is due to the DDC: better imaging and spacing, brighter sq (that may or may not be an improvement depending on your amp/phones).

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #315 of 1,025
Just bought the Jays Audio CDT2 mk2 transport for my Termi.
Will test it during my off day work schedule.
New toy , Jay Audio CDT2 Mk2, attached to Termi.
Using Wireworld Coax cable as output.
Waiting for AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI to arrive.
Definitely outperform my Esoteric K05 CD/SACD/DAC player ( too warm now ).
Will test some more for a complete package then probably use them downstairs for 2 channel system. Saving money now for a pair of REL subs later next year or two.
Then probably complete all tasks.

20190424_172135.jpg
20181123_210138.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back