DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
May 22, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #331 of 1,025
I hear a difference: the sound becomes thinner rather like skin stretched after a face lift.
When I press the NOS button I do not hear any immediate difference at all but after a while the change is clear.
I read that Denafrips will soon be updating their DSP unit for the Terminator.

Do you have more info about this DSP’s upgrade ? What is the Terminator’s DSP really doing ? Will this DSP’s change modifie the Sound ? Can it be a juste a firmware upgrade or should it needs a (painful) hardware change ?

PS: I also heard no différence with NOS engaged or not, but I tested with rapid A/B changes. I will try again with longeur periods between mode change.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #333 of 1,025
Do you have more info about this DSP’s upgrade ? What is the Terminator’s DSP really doing ? Will this DSP’s change modifie the Sound ? Can it be a juste a firmware upgrade or should it needs a (painful) hardware change ?

PS: I also heard no différence with NOS engaged or not, but I tested with rapid A/B changes. I will try again with longeur periods between mode change.
Look at post #292 and following on this forum.

May 22, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #338 of 1,025
I hear no difference when selecting NOS but all the reviews make it seem substantial. Does anyone else hear essentially no difference?
Yes, definitely a difference.. OS is more dynamic and introduces some roughness/edginess to the treble - not as smooth. Doing oversampling in your computer/streamer and running NOS on the Terminator produces a smoother (yet slightly less dynamic) sound. I'm curious to see what the next iteration of the Terminator's DSP will sound like. I run NOS unless my incoming signal has to be 44.1k (TV in my case), and then I use OS to avoid rolled off treble.

May 22, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #339 of 1,025
Hi,
Neither do I. No difference at all between NOS and OS. I just left it with the light on. LOL.
Light on = correct in my opinion unless your incoming signal is 44.1k.

May 22, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #340 of 1,025
Does anyone else have dropouts with a 192k input over AES? I haven't experimented enough to figure out if it's my streamer or the Terminator, but over the course of a song, it drops out for a few seconds. It's repeatable too, the same few seconds of each song if I search to that part of the song. So bizarre. No issue with USB. 88k input over AES is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back