DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Apr 4, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #286 of 1,025
Would you guys that already own the Terminator say that the bass is overwhelming? Not too concerned with how it does with speakers,moreso with headphones.
In my system the bass is well defined and not overwhelming at all. Actually it has the best bass out of five DACs I ever owned (not TOTL, unfortunately).

Apr 6, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #287 of 1,025
My Terminator has 150h of burn, sounds good. I wanted to ask how much room for improvement can I expect until 400h?

Today I have compared it with my Audio Note 3.1x and I like its sound more. The Audio Note has a more natural, three-dimensional and exciting sound. When playing acoustic or Spanish guitars this is more evident.

Regards

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #288 of 1,025
My Terminator has 150h of burn, sounds good. I wanted to ask how much room for improvement can I expect until 400h?

Today I have compared it with my Audio Note 3.1x and I like its sound more. The Audio Note has a more natural, three-dimensional and exciting sound. When playing acoustic or Spanish guitars this is more evident.

Regards
Little or none. The unit already has about 100 hours burn in when sold.
Your Audio Note likely has better synergy with your amp etc.

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #289 of 1,025
Hi Guys,
Just got my Terminator delivered today. Sold my Qutest and Pontus to get terminated. Damn this machine can sing. It's got exceptional stereo imaging, separation and staging. Bass is very well defined, not overwhelming and does not bleed into the mids. Its so analogue sounding. Holographic and finally I have Celine in my presence. An exceptional DAC, you have pay probably 2 or 3x more to get this sort of build quality and sonic quality. I am truly impressed and thanks to Alvin for making me get this instead of the Venus. Now waiting for the DSP upgrade. Happy days.

Apr 7, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #290 of 1,025
Hi Guys,
Just got my Terminator delivered today. Sold my Qutest and Pontus to get terminated. Damn this machine can sing. It's got exceptional stereo imaging, separation and staging. Bass is very well defined, not overwhelming and does not bleed into the mids. Its so analogue sounding. Holographic and finally I have Celine in my presence. An exceptional DAC, you have pay probably 2 or 3x more to get this sort of build quality and sonic quality. I am truly impressed and thanks to Alvin for making me get this instead of the Venus. Now waiting for the DSP upgrade. Happy days.
What DSP upgrade? Is one coming out soon?

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #291 of 1,025
I bought a Jays Audio cdt 2 mk2. Does anyone have experience with this CD transport and can you tell me what is the best connection with Terminator and recommend a specific cable? Thank you

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #292 of 1,025
What DSP upgrade? Is one coming out soon?

This is a post form Alvin at Vinshine Audio from another audio forum, it was posted in a Denafrips dac thread. sounds very interesting.

"Hello guys,

DENAFRIPS engineers are full-force testing the new DSP as I type. We ask for extra time to ensure the best-stability and best-sonic DSP update to our customers.
I'll definitely keep you guys updated here once it's ready. It's happening
Many thanks.
Alvin @ Vinshine Audio "

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #293 of 1,025
This is a post form Alvin at Vinshine Audio from another audio forum, it was posted in a Denafrips dac thread. sounds very interesting.

"Hello guys,

DENAFRIPS engineers are full-force testing the new DSP as I type. We ask for extra time to ensure the best-stability and best-sonic DSP update to our customers.
I'll definitely keep you guys updated here once it's ready. It's happening
Many thanks.
Alvin @ Vinshine Audio "
That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #299 of 1,025
I have read reviews saying that on the Terminator the USB implementation is better than i2s.

Alvin,in a very recent email with me said the exact opposite.

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #300 of 1,025
It's a difficult question to answer.

Most of the USB output from a general purpose computer/pc/mac are not dedicated for USB-Audio, unlike SoTM/Innuos/Aurender, just to name a few.
Let's put into perspective to compare, say for example:
  1. Comparing Aurender USB output VS a RPI i2s output, some may hear better sound quality with Aurender.
  2. Comparing RPI USB Output VS W4S Music Server i2s output, some may hear better sound quality with W4s.
Whether one can hear the difference from the different sources/connections, is heavily dependent on the resolution of the entire system. In general, the DAC's performance scale up to the source quality considerably.

Srajan @ 6moons did a Digital Interface review, it might be interesting to read.
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/i2s/

3b.jpg

p/s: The DSP board upgrade is user replaceable. It's like PCI card, plug and play. More details will be released in due time.

Many thanks.

Best,
Alvin @ Vinshine Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back