DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Nov 13, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #556 of 1,025
Hello guys,

Please allow for approx 50hrs of burn-in prior to serious listening. Moreover, the Terminator DAC needs to warm up to sound good. I kept mine on 24/7. It draws very little power, approx 30W only.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely,
Alvin Chee
www.vinshineaudio.com
Alvin,
When you say you keep the DAC on 24/7 do you mean in standby?

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #557 of 1,025
Hi Crowther,

Not sure about Alvin but mine is power on to last input I used .. not on standby.

I only put my Audible Ilusion L3A on standby because of tube while every else Jay's transport, Magtech Sanders amp, Accuphase tuner etc. also powered on .. especially since Magtech's designer specifically recommends as such.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #560 of 1,025
Hence I mentioned power on as in last selected input being still active 24/7 and not just power led switch on or in standby mode.

Else we start talking about power on the wall socket since I dun remember another usual power switch on rear panel of the Terminator.

Cheers.

Richard

Nov 14, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #561 of 1,025
Hello BMechels,
I let my Terminator play all night after the update and all the micro details are back. The bass is now balanced and not at all over whelming like when first updated. The update sounds very good at this point. It seems break in helped or leaving the dac on overnight settled my terminator. Hope you get the same results.
Hi,
It does take a few hours for it to settle down if u turn it off. There are a bunch load of Caps to recharge. I leave mine on all the time unless I'm travellinf for more than 2 weeks. Hope it helps. Personally, I love the upgrade. Cheers and happy listening.

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #563 of 1,025
Putting it in standby essentially stop the DSP processing of the input data, hence, no output to the R2R arrays.
It is fine to leave it on with the last active input selected.

Hope this clarifies!

Cheers,
Alvin

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #564 of 1,025
Putting it in standby essentially stop the DSP processing of the input data, hence, no output to the R2R arrays.
It is fine to leave it on with the last active input selected.

Hope this clarifies!

Cheers,
Alvin
I understood that the point of leaving it switched on is that an r2r DAC needs to work at a constant temperature. If putting it in standby only stops the DSP processing then it will have no effect on the working temperature?

Nov 15, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #565 of 1,025
Yep, you're right.

Another important note is, please connect either RCA or XLR, not both simultaneously. The RCA and XLR output is shared, connecting them simultaneously will degrade the sound quality. Regardless of whether the downstream equipment is on/off as the signal will still be transmitted to the downstream input stage.

Please use XLR if possible as it benefits from the fact that the DENAFRIPS DACs are true balanced DAC. The XLR output is better :)

Hope it helps!

Rgds,
Alvin

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #567 of 1,025
hello Denafrips lovers :)
I am also a very happy Terminator owner and I am testing for the first time the I2S input using a nuprime cdt-8 Pro.

I changed the hdmi pin to 100, but the sound is coming out only if I select the DSD upsampling from the source, with no upsampling (PCM ) nothing play... do you have any experiance with this issue?

I also noticed that during the I2S config (pressing mute + phase), the DSD led is on... it is the same with your terminator?

Thanks
Nicola

Nov 22, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #568 of 1,025
hello Denafrips lovers :)
I am also a very happy Terminator owner and I am testing for the first time the I2S input using a nuprime cdt-8 Pro.

I changed the hdmi pin to 100, but the sound is coming out only if I select the DSD upsampling from the source, with no upsampling (PCM ) nothing play... do you have any experiance with this issue?

I also noticed that during the I2S config (pressing mute + phase), the DSD led is on... it is the same with your terminator?

Thanks
Nicola

Hi Nicola

I will answer the easy 2nd question first .. yes, dsd led is on when you go into i2s config mode (pressing mute + phase).

1st question next .. if I understand your "DSD Upsampling from source" correctly .. pressing oversampling OS/NOS button i.e. toggling between NOS led to be on and off will still have sound in my 000 i2s config but I am using Jay's audio tranport.

Btw, pls note default without phase led being lit up is reversed phase and if you do not have any equipment that are also reversed phase, engage phase button to have phase led lit up i.e. in phase.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #569 of 1,025
Hi Richard,

you are right it is normal, DSD led is on during PIN config, also Alvin confirmed the same.

1st question is more complicated to describe than what it is... I should first explain how the Nuprime CDT-8 features, it upsample the signal and after it dowgrade it to almost any of the existing resolution in the market PCM and DSD. Selecting the PCM 16/44 as output it works perfectly with output Coax or AES/EBU but not at all with HDMI.
HDMI works only with resolution DSD 64/128/256 it should works with all resolutions.

A discovered somethign new while testing the device, the DSD out of the Nuprime compared to the basic 16/44 PCM is very weak, low volume and the instruments looks like not focused, I do not know if you can understand what I mean, the position of instrument on the stage seems to be confused.. this happens with all connections coax/AES/HDMI.

Cheers and thanks a lot for your reply,
Nicola

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #570 of 1,025
Hi Nicola,

I did take a look at the i2s info on your cdt-8 and i2s config of 100 seems right .. I am also struggling with info from Jay's Audio Cdt-2 transport per earlier posts but stayed with what I can measure with my phase checker of the speakers.

Interesting on the working on upsampling and selective downsampling which I have no experience to offer any thought except it should not matter with the same 6 data lines that the Terminator works with via its hdmi i2s output.

On the noted lower output of dsd playback, this is normal in all playback system when compared to pcm that I had experienced but not to the extend of your mentioned negative impact of loss in focus or confused stage:

https://dsd-guide.com/faq/some-my-dsd-recorded-music-much-softer-volume-rest-my-music-why

Sorry that I cannot share more to be helpful but believe even Alvin may not be able to help and contacting Nuprime next would in order.

Cheers.

Richard
Screenshot_20191123-075236_Drive.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191124-024449_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191124-024449_Chrome.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back