DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #541 of 1,025
Thank you @Sage Encore . Yep, please update the firmware. Please take note that the DSP board has to be V06 and above to support the firmware update.

Mnay thanks.

Yours Sincerely,
Alvin
www.vinshineaudio.com
Hi Alvin,
Is the DSP board upgraded to the latest fw?
I bought the board but not install into my Termi yet, no time yet.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #542 of 1,025
Oct 31, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #543 of 1,025
Why not turn over to the Dark Side :skull:....

Nov 11, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #545 of 1,025
Well, I did the Firmware upgrade. I succeded ! :wink:

I just got at some point the strange error message bellow saying that the ._f20config driver could not be installed ! strange !
Of course Alvin was super very helpful and responding when I contacted him about this issue. Top class support as usual !

-> Has someone experienced the same ? does it impact the whole process since at the end it is reported "firmware upgrade succesfully completed". ?

RE the sound change: it is noticeable, and I find it more bassy and louder. Sometime I am left with the impression that I have lost a certain subtle balance, and I need to lower the volume.
So... I am not convinced, but may be my brain needs to accomodate to the new sound signature ??

--> What are your feeling about the sound after the upgrade ?

install error.jpeg BM Upgrade fini.jpeg

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #546 of 1,025

I just got at some point the strange error message bellow saying that the ._f20config driver could not be installed ! strange !
Of course Alvin was super very helpful and responding when I contacted him about this issue. Top class support as usual !

-> Has someone experienced the same ? does it impact the whole process since at the end it is reported "firmware upgrade succesfully completed". ?

RE the sound change: it is noticeable, and I find it more bassy and louder. Sometime I am left with the impression that I have lost a certain subtle balance, and I need to lower the volume.
So... I am not convinced, but may be my brain needs to accomodate to the new sound signature ??

Hello BMICHELS,
I performed the firmware update this morning. I found the sound signature very bass heavy with a a great loss of micro details in my system. I am hoping this is due to a break in needed as I do not like the sound at this point. Have you found out if we can reverse the update back to the prior firmware if it does not improve, if not, I just ruined a great sounding dac.

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #547 of 1,025

PS: Maybe Alvin can chime in and provide the reversal instructions of the firmware update.

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #548 of 1,025
good luck reversing a firmware update...wow

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #549 of 1,025
Hello BMICHELS,
I performed the firmware update this morning. I found the sound signature very bass heavy with a a great loss of micro details in my system. I am hoping this is due to a break in needed as I do not like the sound at this point. Have you found out if we can reverse the update back to the prior firmware if it does not improve, if not, I just ruined a great sounding dac.

Since I also find it now too bass heavy, I sent a mail to Alvin to see if we can reverse to the old firmware.... I am waiting for the reply.

Anybody else also find the new firmware's sound too bass heavy ? Are we the only one ?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #550 of 1,025
Hi All,

sorry to hear you feel the new firmware had a negative effect on the sound. in my system, I felt completely the opposite. the mid range and vocals became better focused and more sweet, highs at times were a tad aggressive, that is gone. i didn't notice an overwhelming increment in bass, i think its just right. I guess that is system dependent after all. in my system I'm using a lot of audioquest PSS and PSC+ cables. those tend to control bass like nothing else, and I from my experiments with these cable and other things across the systme (even including a sotm Ethernet switch changes bass nature), I learned its one of the hardest things to get at the right quantity and quality. before judging the DAC as absolute reason for this bass heavy sound, may i suggest trying a more transparent, better shielded, less colored cables? like AQ, or Atlas etc. also, it could be an amplifier that has slightly a lack of grip over bass. actually, everything matters from your streamer, amp, cables, even speakers themselves.
I have recently tried the DT vs the new chord TT2 which is an impressive unit. the bass of the TT2 was even more in quantity (and possibly quality). it had better separation and 3D presentation, and slight edge of speed, but I still preferred the DT organic, slightly laid back presentation vs the chord which still feels digital but addictive good digital. if I had budget for 2nd DAC, probably i would have bought the TT2 as a 2nd DAC.
well hope you find a solution to your bass issue soon. and hope that what I wrote is of help!

Nov 12, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #551 of 1,025
Hi All,

sorry to hear you feel the new firmware had a negative effect on the sound. in my system, I felt completely the opposite. the mid range and vocals became better focused and more sweet, highs at times were a tad aggressive, that is gone. i didn't notice an overwhelming increment in bass, i think its just right. I guess that is system dependent after all. in my system I'm using a lot of audioquest PSS and PSC+ cables. those tend to control bass like nothing else, and I from my experiments with these cable and other things across the systme (even including a sotm Ethernet switch changes bass nature), I learned its one of the hardest things to get at the right quantity and quality. before judging the DAC as absolute reason for this bass heavy sound, may i suggest trying a more transparent, better shielded, less colored cables? like AQ, or Atlas etc. also, it could be an amplifier that has slightly a lack of grip over bass. actually, everything matters from your streamer, amp, cables, even speakers themselves.
I have recently tried the DT vs the new chord TT2 which is an impressive unit. the bass of the TT2 was even more in quantity (and possibly quality). it had better separation and 3D presentation, and slight edge of speed, but I still preferred the DT organic, slightly laid back presentation vs the chord which still feels digital but addictive good digital. if I had budget for 2nd DAC, probably i would have bought the TT2 as a 2nd DAC.
well hope you find a solution to your bass issue soon. and hope that what I wrote is of help!
Thank you for your proposals. I agree that câbles can change the sound signature. I have myself tested and selected my cables.

But here, before the firmware upgrade the sound was very good and well balanced. And after the upgrade immediately after the first seconds of listening I noticed something very wrong with the bass. Not a subtle difference !

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #552 of 1,025

Hello BMechels,
I let my Terminator play all night after the update and all the micro details are back. The bass is now balanced and not at all over whelming like when first updated. The update sounds very good at this point. It seems break in helped or leaving the dac on overnight settled my terminator. Hope you get the same results.

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #553 of 1,025
Thanks. I will try this right away

fingers crossed..... :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #554 of 1,025
I'm very happy with the update, I also agree about the vocals and mid range being better. When I updated the dac I believe it play for over a week before I had time to sit down and listen.

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #555 of 1,025
Hello guys,

Please allow for approx 50hrs of burn-in prior to serious listening. Moreover, the Terminator DAC needs to warm up to sound good. I kept mine on 24/7. It draws very little power, approx 30W only.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely,
Alvin Chee
www.vinshineaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back