DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Oct 11, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #511 of 1,025
I am using Jays audio cdt2 with hdmi / i2s output, a magnificent transport

Hey Elber,

Just got Terminator from super great seller of Alvin and also using Jay's cdt2.

I am using i2s and found 000 and 010 to have correct phase via "bck" and left/right channels via "l/rclock" seemingly but any clue on which of 000 or 010 is correct with noted difference on data +/- for pin #1 and #3 ?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Richard

PS: Alvin is on vacation and can wait for his advice but thinking you may have already found out

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #513 of 1,025
I did, Recommend you do it.
I think it had to do with some bug fixes but it also changes sound a bit in a positive way. Its not as big difference such as old vs new board, but in my case i felt vocals became better, more clear and more separated from rest of the music (obvious change), overall sound became smoother and more enjoyable - some times i felt on certain tracks highs were aggressive a bit - that's gone now with new firmware. Maybe more depth and better layering as result of this additional clarity/transparency, could be just my imagination!
I felt its more about "perfecting" the SQ and i believe we might be getting one of those FPGA code updates every once in a while, hopefully! The new board is designed for that, which is great!

Oct 11, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #514 of 1,025
Has anyone tried the new firmware update for the new DSP board? I can't find any changelog or any information on what it actually does.

Hi divertiti,

Mine received last week and already updated but helped my friend to do so .. he loaned me his Terminator and of course I had to call Alvin ... lol !

Believe some bug fixes but the below gives some indication albiet goals still not clear but reportedly for also better sound quality:

Congratulation! You've successfully updated the USB MCU and DSP FPGA firmware! Enjoy the music!

Guess we need to hear it from Alvin.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #515 of 1,025
Hey Elber,

I am using i2s and found 000 and 010 to have correct phase via "bck" and left/right channels via "l/rclock" but any clue on which of 000 or 010 is correct with noted difference on data +/- for pin 1 and 3 ?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Richard

PS: Alvin is on vacation and can wait for his advice but thinking you may have already found out

Googled a bit and see i2s definition of #1 pin being -data ... set it to 000 for Jay's cdt2 and sounds fine. Hard to AB with 010 since without remote and justing hearing between and in line with speakers.

Btw, easy peasy to choose the i2s config via mute and phase buttons

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #519 of 1,025
Thanks.
Is it Windows specific? I have a Mac.

same question. I have only Mac..

And Do I need to upgrade if I bought and installed the new DSP board recently ? ( 1 month ago)

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #520 of 1,025
Hello guys,

The firmware update addressed the following issues:

1. Channel L/R swap and compatibility with some Linux based streamers

2. DSD clipping on some higher dynamic range DSD tracks

3. Improve sensitivity of SPDIF

The update has to be done via a Windows 7/8/10 PC.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely,
Alvin
www.vinshineaudio.com

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #522 of 1,025
same question. I have only Mac..
Hello guys,

The firmware update addressed the following issues:

1. Channel L/R swap and compatibility with some Linux based streamers

2. DSD clipping on some higher dynamic range DSD tracks

3. Improve sensitivity of SPDIF

The update has to be done via a Windows 7/8/10 PC.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely,
Alvin
www.vinshineaudio.com

thanks Alvin. So... I need to find a Windows Laptop :frowning2:

But.... Do I need to upgrade if I bought and installed the new DSP board recently ? ( 1 month ago)

Oct 13, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #525 of 1,025
Hey Elber,

I am using i2s and found 000 and 010 to have correct phase via "bck" and left/right channels via "l/rclock" seemingly but any clue on which of 000 or 010 is correct with noted difference on data +/- for pin #1 and #3 ?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Richard

Alvin told me that I had to put it at 100 and I have it that way. I have not tried other options

Users who are viewing this thread

Back