Denafrips Sub-Brand or Rip-off? The case of Musician Audio's Pegasus R2R DAC
Nov 26, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #196 of 316
[QUOTE = "tuyen、投稿:16001306、メンバー:190602"]
数時間前にペガサスDACを受け取りました。過去1時間聞いています。第一印象。とても良い。大きく開いたサウンドステージですが、イメージングは依然として非常に正確です。推奨される200〜300時間実行するためにオンのままにします。

私はGustardU16 Ddc thaを持っています。I2Sを介してペガサスとペアリングして、改善がもたらされるかどうかを確認します。
[/見積もり]
[QUOTE = "tuyen、投稿:16001306、メンバー:190602"]
数時間前にペガサスDACを受け取りました。過去1時間聞いています。第一印象。とても良い。大きく開いたサウンドステージですが、イメージングは依然として非常に正確です。推奨される200〜300時間実行するためにオンのままにします。

私はGustardU16 Ddc thaを持っています。I2Sを介してペガサスとペアリングして、改善がもたらされるかどうかを確認します。
[/見積もり]
レビューありがとうございます。I2S接続に使用するケーブルを教えてください。

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #199 of 316
The pegasus dac has been running in for past 4 days. Noticed an intermittent issue where the music has some distortion on the left channel. It comes and goes. Happening on different inputs (i2s, usb and optical).

Have emailed Musician Tech support (from the website) and also the aliexpress seller/store where I bought the unit from. Awaiting responses...

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #200 of 316
Heard back from seller on aliexpress, they mentioned if I could do a recording of the issue and send it to musician tech support email address. (Un)fortunately I was not able to replicate the issue last night or this morning during the 2 hrs I was listening.... strange!! Hope it was just a glitch and all is well from now on.

As for the sonic presentation, sounding really good (only done 150hrs run in out of the 300 recommended by Musician).

The Gustard U16 via I2S vs the Pegasus USB input. The U16 sounds a bit more refined/open. Easier to listen at louder volumes. Suits my ears since I'm running all solid state at the moment (Yamaha CX-630 preamp, Sony TA-55ES monoblocks, Schiit Loki mini EQ, JBL L96 3-way speakers).

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #201 of 316
sounds like the previous technical issue and support (or lack thereof), another red flag. I hope for you it doesn't resurface

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #203 of 316
The pegasus dac has been running in for past 4 days. Noticed an intermittent issue where the music has some distortion on the left channel. It comes and goes. Happening on different inputs (i2s, usb and optical).

Have emailed Musician Tech support (from the website) and also the aliexpress seller/store where I bought the unit from. Awaiting responses...

Not sure if it is exactly the same issue, but I found after a length bit of use I would get majorly distorted sounds on my Ares II and Musician - it would sound like it very distorted and slowed down.

A power cycle of the DAC or my MacBook Pro would fix it. I found it very strange though. I assumed it was not a hardware issue but maybe something with the driver/ or operating system because it happened on the Ares II and the Musician.

This problem was happening every few days. I typically leave my gear powered on all the time. It seems to have stopped because I can't remember the last time it has happened.

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #204 of 316
Not sure if it is exactly the same issue, but I found after a length bit of use I would get majorly distorted sounds on my Ares II and Musician - it would sound like it very distorted and slowed down.

A power cycle of the DAC or my MacBook Pro would fix it. I found it very strange though. I assumed it was not a hardware issue but maybe something with the driver/ or operating system because it happened on the Ares II and the Musician.

This problem was happening every few days. I typically leave my gear powered on all the time. It seems to have stopped because I can't remember the last time it has happened.

There's a post here by Alvin (post 629) on the Denafrips DAC that is stating it could be a firmware issue when people were reporting this happening on those DACs too. Supposedly Hotel California track at 1min 18s could reproduce the issue. Would make sense you're seeing it on both since they supposedly share similar drivers.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/denafrips-dacs.897934/page-26

Mine has been running for over a week now and I listen to it everyday through Windows 10 and Tidal without any issues.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #205 of 316
There's a post here by Alvin (post 629) on the Denafrips DAC that is stating it could be a firmware issue when people were reporting this happening on those DACs too. Supposedly Hotel California track at 1min 18s could reproduce the issue. Would make sense you're seeing it on both since they supposedly share similar drivers.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/denafrips-dacs.897934/page-26
If you were looking for a proof that Musicians/Pegasus is a sub-brand of Denafrips rip-off, it is.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #206 of 316
If you were looking for a proof that Musicians/Pegasus is a sub-brand of Denafrips rip-off, it is.

Nope, just trying to discuss the issue at hand here where both brands have some sort of driver issue.
Oh and if you're still looking for proof that the Ares II is better than the Pegasus... well there's already an owner of both that states the Pegasus is a step above.

Welcome to my ignore list troll. :L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #207 of 316
Nope, just trying to discuss the issue at hand here where both brands have some sort of driver issue.
So it is known you are not looking, but there are others who value money in their pockets.

These two Pegasus threads had been targeted by scammers and there is a good reason for. So let continue to discuss audiophile fuses. :)

Dec 3, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #208 of 316
So it is known you are not looking, but there are others who value money in their pockets.

These two Pegasus threads had been targeted by scammers and there is a good reason for. So let continue to discuss audiophile fuses. :)
You need good hearing for that and a good DAC. And you can talk about it, but try to find the images in high resolution.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #210 of 316
I haven't been able to replicate the issue thankfully. I listened the the system for 2 hrs last night.. didn't get any distortion. Also the music and lower bass seems to have opened up noticeably. Approaching 200hrs run in at this stage. Such good detail retrieval without being edgy or thin sounding. Very low noise floor too. Good for listening at low volumes at night. I have the same feeling I had when I borrowed a friend's Holo Spring 2 Lvl 2 DAC and Singxer SU-6 for a number of weeks. I must ask if possible to borrow his setup for a couple of days sometime soon! :)

I have owned the soekris 0.02% resistor board paired with an amanero USB i2s module and powered by a basic linear power supply. The pegasus is substantially better in terms of fullness in the music, especially the bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back