Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Oct 23, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #1,576 of 1,830
For 8 months ares ii gave us great music.
And today pontus ii 12th is connected to HPA.

I am looking forward to the next 5 days when I am burnt out.:relieved:

Trying to get it to work with OGfw,
FW1.0 =driver name "USB HiRes Audio"?

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #1,577 of 1,830
For 8 months ares ii gave us great music.
And today pontus ii 12th is connected to HPA.

I am looking forward to the next 5 days when I am burnt out.:relieved:

Trying to get it to work with OGfw,
FW1.0 =driver name "USB HiRes Audio"?
Glad you made the jump ^^

When you downgrade to 1.0 from 1.x it changes to this

1698066943596.png

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #1,579 of 1,830
thx!

I was hoping for OGFW when I bought it, so that was the description of the image.

I may keep this for a long time or forever
I think that is the OG, I'm pretty sure!

With a very detailed HP like D8000 Pro 1.0 is perfection while when I listen to my Focal Alpha Evo I go to 1.4 (preamp V281)

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #1,582 of 1,830
Hm, what are the changes of the -1 Version?
The capacitor bank looks different and the AC main power socket have been changed according denafrips website.
Hm, i think, that's nothing to be nervous about as owner of the older version, right?

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #1,583 of 1,830
Hm, what are the changes of the -1 Version?
The capacitor bank looks different and the AC main power socket have been changed according denafrips website.
Hm, i think, that's nothing to be nervous about as owner of the older version, right?
Definitely nothing to worry about. To me, it looks like a minor cosmetic of the interior. They do it not to let themselves be forgotten and to gain new customers. That is my opinion

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #1,584 of 1,830
Definitely nothing to worry about. To me, it looks like a minor cosmetic of the interior. They do it not to let themselves be forgotten and to gain new customers. That is my opinion
New SW?
New SW? I'm curious. the latest one I know is 1.4 (on P12)

Nov 1, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #1,586 of 1,830
I wonder if we could get the "true NOS" feature by firmware update.....
Who knows? With the SW you can play but the real NOS has no processing. I remember a Goldensound test where he concluded that it was (P12) an imitation of the real NOS. Real or fake, however I prefer it when listening (NOS, and phase on - LED on - on the Pontus 2/12 - 1.3 SW - speakers and, obviously, Imo)

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #1,587 of 1,830
Confusing, this 12th-1. Is it less than 12th? Or is it greater, like 12th mod 1? Why, because there was some supply chain shortage or just to beef out new products? Why Pontus and not (yet) the others?

Switching to fast update cycles burns value of existing products quickly. Also, enticing customers to upgrade more often yields cash but is not very eco-friendly. Poor practice if you ask me.

Nov 2, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #1,588 of 1,830
The 10-day warm-up is now complete.(By the way, mine was 12th-1.)
I am a headphone user and there was definitely a change from the ares ii.

Sound separation and, Tighter bass could be a definite upgrade...maybe

I'll try FW 1.4.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #1,589 of 1,830
A few days have passed as we continue to compare whether we should keep ares ii(FW1.0) or pontus ii(FW1.0).

Using a power supply with a noise filter, the pontus ii sounded delightful.
The ares ii sounded more subtle, but the pontus ii was slightly better.

I am going to try the supra lorad power cable and so far it is sounding good.:relaxed:

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #1,590 of 1,830
I'll be curious as to your impressions of the Supra power cord. I've found that every power cord I've tried on the Pontus imparts a different effect to its sound. I listened for the cord that provided most reinforcement to the qualities I liked with least reinforcement of qualities less desirable to me.

The two attributes that seem to be traded off most to my ears in how power cords affect sound quality is smoothness/lack of grain versus the ability to convey tonal quality and air/environment cues. My listening preferences seem to place great importance on the lattter qualities perhaps because I prefer vocal and acoustic instrument music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back