Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Jul 8, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #1,546 of 1,800
Any news on any upcoming firmware update for the P2 ? Seems the Ares 2 just had a new firmware 2 days ago.

Jul 19, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #1,547 of 1,800
Just to add to your post, I also had almost all of the dacs youve had except for the X16. Started with the D90 and it was good, clean and sharp. Made everything sound like a little sterile and lifeless. Then I bought my Ares 2 and thats when it changed everything. That was my first R2R dac and fell in love with it from the start. Fast forward 4 months, i purchased a BF2 because i needed two outputs simultaneously and the Denafrips can only do one at a time. The Bf2 was really dynamic and punchy with a very intimate soundstage and I loved it, however, something was still missing. I wanted to listen to my Elise OTL in it true form and i needed something more music. Then came the Pontus and just like you, my dac search has ended (although i did buy a Yggdrasil a few weeks later because, as before, the pontus doesn't do two outputs at the same time).

The pontus is musical, gooey with tons of micro details and perfect tonal balance. Its the only dac that i use with my Elise OTL and my ZMF headphones, period. This dac has added layers upon layers of low end details while still maintaining the clarity of the top end. At first, the Pontus seemed a little dull, but all that cleared up after about 150-200 hours. While the Pontus was burning in, I sent alvin an email about DDC and he recommended the Hermes when i told him that I am using a USB cable from my gaming pc which doesnt really have the cleanest of signals. When the DDC arrived, it was a revelation !!! Everything that i described about the pontus instantly became crystal clear. It sounded like a veil has been taken off the sound and pure music was entering my ears. It didnt change the sound of the dac but rather enhanced everything by making the sound cleaner.

Additionally, i have the Hermes DDC hooked up with both the Pontus and my Yggy. Its that good IMO. I am not suggesting that everyone with a USB dac needs a DDC but i can honeslty say that the Hermes DDC has taken my Pontus to another level. The sound difference is pretty evident and I cant even imagine using another dac without a DDC.
I currently own the Auteur OG and I am looking to upgrade my Bifrost 2 to a better. I like the weight of the music but I do feel like it can sound a bit "muddy" at times when lots of instruments or speed are involved. I'm looking for something that can provide similar (if not more) weight and warmth while also being very dynamic and punchy with plenty of air and soundstage depth. Does the Pontus II fit that description? I've read that Pontus II is more "relaxing" and I just don't want to get something that will make my Auteur sound sleepy. I currently am using the Eufonika H5 miflex amp (which allegedly has a similar sound signature to the Feliks Elise).

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #1,548 of 1,800
I currently own the Auteur OG and I am looking to upgrade my Bifrost 2 to a better. I like the weight of the music but I do feel like it can sound a bit "muddy" at times when lots of instruments or speed are involved. I'm looking for something that can provide similar (if not more) weight and warmth while also being very dynamic and punchy with plenty of air and soundstage depth. Does the Pontus II fit that description? I've read that Pontus II is more "relaxing" and I just don't want to get something that will make my Auteur sound sleepy. I currently am using the Eufonika H5 miflex amp (which allegedly has a similar sound signature to the Feliks Elise).
Not, what you hear is correct. For a dynamic and punchy sound, but not losing details with massive music in the same price range, look for Audio GD R-8Mk3 or pay little-bit more for a HE version. Rockna Wavelight is another one, but much more expensive.

The upgrade will be also R-1NOS, a lot of cheaper, but if you can afford the above, it is recommended.

As for a warmth, it can be misleading. Audio GD sound is neutral, slightly on the warm scale, but not much.

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #1,549 of 1,800
So I just got a used Pontus II loaded with the 1.4 firmware. Since I’ve never heard a Pontus before, would you folks recommend I load the original firmware so I hear it in its original state so I can hear it the way it was rolled out? I’ve read some folks prefer 1.0 anyway. Thoughts?!

Jul 21, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #1,551 of 1,800
The only thing I can recommend is to listen with your own ears and figure out which of the two firmwares meets your listening tastes.
The ancient Latins said "de gustibus non dispuntandum est"
Its not that difficult to swap firmwares. Id highly recommend to give the 1.4 version a proper listen to at least 100-200 hours. Then you can swap it out to the 1.0. I think you'd like the 1.4 over the 1. At least I do. Its more refined, imo

Aug 13, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #1,552 of 1,800
Just recently bought a Hermes 12th DDC to pair with my Pontus2. Planning to buy a HDMI cable for i2S connection. Is 1 meter too long for this usage? Or should I stay under like .6 or .75 meter? Any issues with 1 meter cable, thought I heard shorter is better with i2S.

Aug 13, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #1,553 of 1,800
Just recently bought a Hermes 12th DDC to pair with my Pontus2. Planning to buy a HDMI cable for i2S connection. Is 1 meter too long for this usage? Or should I stay under like .6 or .75 meter? Any issues with 1 meter cable, thought I heard shorter is better with i2S.
I am a Pontus II user.

"i2s connections" are not suitable for long-distance transmission, so the shorter the better.
Many people claim that 1 m or less is desirable.
I am using a 0.75m cable called "99.99% Silver".

Aug 13, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #1,554 of 1,800
1m is fine mate, I used exactly that with no issues.

Aug 13, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #1,555 of 1,800
Any good recomandations for a 0.75 I2S (HDMI) cable from China? Max 40 USD including sending to Europe

Aug 13, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #1,556 of 1,800
Aug 13, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #1,557 of 1,800
Aug 13, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #1,559 of 1,800
Thanks guys, sounds like 1 meter is in the safe zone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back