Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Aug 28, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #1,561 of 1,800
I have to connect the Pontus II to a tube headphone amp with RCA inputs.
Do you think there is a difference in quality between the XLR and RCA outputs of the Pontus II?
What do you recommend?
In my headphone system, I strongly feel the Pontus 2 sounds better with XLR output. Others may disagree. But in speaking with Alvin, even he acknowledged the XLR is the way to go.

Aug 28, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #1,562 of 1,800
I used RCA out of my Pontus II 12th Anniversary Edition. Excellent.

Aug 28, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #1,563 of 1,800
In my headphone system, I strongly feel the Pontus 2 sounds better with XLR output. Others may disagree. But in speaking with Alvin, even he acknowledged the XLR is the way to go.
Which is fine. Unless your HPA is RCA only.

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #1,565 of 1,800
XLR are always the preferred connection if possible. I myself use RCA on my Pontus II 12th to connect to Denon PMA-2500NW since the Denon amp does not have XLR. Higher outputs in volt on the XLR.

Aug 29, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #1,566 of 1,800
I have to connect the Pontus II to a tube headphone amp with RCA inputs.
Do you think there is a difference in quality between the XLR and RCA outputs of the Pontus II?
What do you recommend?
on paper, xrl is better. (provided that there is a truly balanced circuit). But, when you listen, it's not always true. With the P/2/12, - in my system, for the tests made, and in any case IMO - there is no difference between balanced and single end. Perhaps a slight preference for the SE. Less "hard" to listen. Less "clean" but perhaps more musical. Without loss of detail. What has also been experimented with other DACs. which i tried. But they are personal tastes.
Ps: (two channel system with speakers)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #1,568 of 1,800
Just to add one more voice to the choir - I ran an A/B test with Tara Labs Omega RCA's vs. some "World's Best" XLR's into my Woo WA5-LE. Literally could not hear a difference. Not sure if that speaks better to the performance of the RCA cables or the poor quality of the XLR ones, but aside from the locking connectors (which is why I prefer XLR), audibly I could not hear any appreciable difference. Just my $.02 worth, YMMV.

Sep 7, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #1,569 of 1,800
Centuriones I also have an Auris HA2 SF and the Pontus II. I tried both XLR and single ended outputs on the Pontus and could not tell a difference between the two probably because like you stated the Auris is a single ended amp with XLR outputs. I’m using the RCA’s. Keep your interconnects as short as possible due to the Pontus’s lack of an output stage. I found that reducing the length from 1 meter to 0.5 meters did make an audible difference. I also noticed an improvement by using the 1/4” headphone socket from my amp as opposed to the XLR socket.

Sep 7, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #1,571 of 1,800
I have updated my firmware to 1.4 a few weeks ago and prefer it to 1.0. I am upsampling everything to DSD256 in HQPlayer and my primary headphones are Meze Empyreans so my overall presentation is more on the polite side just to keep things in perspective.

Sep 29, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #1,572 of 1,800
Guys can anyone help me?
I installed firmware 1.4 on the Pontus II but then went back to firmware 1.0.
Unfortunately the DSD channels are inverted, I tried to fix them as indicated by Denafrips with the MUTE and then OS/NOS key combination, but once the Pontus II was turned off and on again the DSD channels are still inverted.
Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #1,573 of 1,800
Guys can anyone help me?
I installed firmware 1.4 on the Pontus II but then went back to firmware 1.0.
Unfortunately the DSD channels are inverted, I tried to fix them as indicated by Denafrips with the MUTE and then OS/NOS key combination, but once the Pontus II was turned off and on again the DSD channels are still inverted.
Anyone have any idea how to fix this?
Quick tip would be to never turn it off :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back