Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 29, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #137 of 1,800
Also curious if they will bring back their EU shipping option with VAT prepaid. It is difficult for us to buy any major item from outside the EU because of taxes, fees, charges, ransom etc.

Hi,

Please reach out to me at sales@vinshineaudio.com, we may discuss the details :)

Mar 29, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #138 of 1,800
Hi,

Please reach out to me at sales@vinshineaudio.com, we may discuss the details :)
Thanks, I considered one of your R2Rs earlier but in the end I chose something else. I will be in touch in the future as budget and requirements come together :)

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #139 of 1,800
Hello Guys,

Just sent a Production Update of the Pontus II DAC.

Shipping will happen soon!

[IMG]

Happy Easter!

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #140 of 1,800
I'm a relatively poor jazz musician---but I sold 2 electric basses that weren't being used'much. I've gone down the rabbit hole. I've settled onthe Verite closed and am choosing between 2 power amps---Euris Ha2SF and Feliks Euphoria. I'm currently using a Bifrost 2 and think that a Pontus could be my end game. I have limited funds so I'm waiting to find a used Po9ntus. My question is---can the DSP board be switched out for a Pontus II board? I was on the Denafrips site--it looks like it could be. Anyone know how much it costs. I assume that it might offset the savings on a used MK I. Probably a while before the Mk II's show up used. Anyone able to make a comparison between the two?

Apr 4, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #141 of 1,800
I'm a relatively poor jazz musician---but I sold 2 electric basses that weren't being used'much. I've gone down the rabbit hole. I've settled onthe Verite closed and am choosing between 2 power amps---Euris Ha2SF and Feliks Euphoria. I'm currently using a Bifrost 2 and think that a Pontus could be my end game. I have limited funds so I'm waiting to find a used Po9ntus. My question is---can the DSP board be switched out for a Pontus II board?
Pontus has NOS mode, I think it is what you are asking for. Whether it switches off DSP pre-processing completely (digital filtering), I don't know. DSP board has more functions, it works as a receiver and also does a clock recovery (PLL/FIFO), it cannot be switched off.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #142 of 1,800
Hello,

can anyone tell me how big is the difference in sound quality between Ares II and Pontus II? If we only use the USB input...

regards,
Simon
Big. A friend loaned me an Ares II, but the Pontus is clearly better in terms of resolution, fullness, presence and transparency. I had gotten a Qutest to compare to the Pontus. My Pontus arrived today and straight out of the box and being warmed up for about 3 hours it has the resolution of the Qutest, but with a more natural, organic presentation of music.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #143 of 1,800
Big. A friend loaned me an Ares II, but the Pontus is clearly better in terms of resolution, fullness, presence and transparency. I had gotten a Qutest to compare to the Pontus. My Pontus arrived today and straight out of the box and being warmed up for about 3 hours it has the resolution of the Qutest, but with a more natural, organic presentation of music.
This is very interesting comparison. R2R chip with Chord"s resolution sounds tempting (although a bit costy:)

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #146 of 1,800
The Pontus is only bettered by my MHDT Orchid DAC (TDA1541A) but only when using ECC86 tubes!
Anyway, the Yggy will be up for sale soon, Pontus and Orchid will stay!
Quite an old post, but extremly interesting for me as there are no Pontus vs Orchid comparisons on the web. Could You tell something more on this? I own MHDT Orchid and use it with Siemens CCa ECC 88 tube. I wonder if it makes sense to consider Pontus (i.e. is it really an upgrade to Orchid).

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #147 of 1,800
Hello,

something interests me. I am thinking of buying an Ares II or a Pontus II.
Since my amplifier doesn't have xlr inputs but only rca input (Exposure 3010s2D) I'm wondering if it even makes sense to buy a Pontus II considering that only rca will be used? Will there be a difference in sound (Ares II vs Pontus II) even at the unbalanced input?

regards,
Simon

Apr 29, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #148 of 1,800
Hello,

something interests me. I am thinking of buying an Ares II or a Pontus II.
Since my amplifier doesn't have xlr inputs but only rca input (Exposure 3010s2D) I'm wondering if it even makes sense to buy a Pontus II considering that only rca will be used? Will there be a difference in sound (Ares II vs Pontus II) even at the unbalanced input?

regards,
Simon
The difference between ares and pontus will be bigger than the difference between RCA and XLR.

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #150 of 1,800
The difference between ares and pontus will be bigger than the difference between RCA and XLR.
100%. I was running the Ares II with a $1.5k pair of XLR interconnects. The Pontus II with a pair of $65 DH Labs White Lightning RCA is night-and-day better all around than the Ares II from every perspective. (transparency, pace, tonal quality of instruments and voices, ability to follow the tune).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back