DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 26, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #391 of 1,124
Everyone has a different ear. Someone does not hear the difference in replacing cables, someone does not hear the degradation of lamps, someone does not hear the difference between a XLR balanced output (input) and an RCA output (input), and this is good,
because we are all different people. But categorically stating that this is nonsense is not very correct.
I DID NOT "catagorically state that this is nonsense"? I agree with what you are saying and I mentioned all of that in my post. Please, re-read it.
I stated "for me". Very clearly. (twice) ...and THAT is correct. I qualified it. "For you" it may be different. I am not saying that you are wrong?????
What's the issue?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #392 of 1,124
@PoMarantz IMHO, have you ever thought of that you are feeding dirty digital signal to your Pontus II?
Since the new firmware is so revealing, it will reveal what you have.
So, when you improve your digital front end, you can always try the new firmware again.

Good listening !

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #393 of 1,124
@PoMarantz IMHO, have you ever thought of that you are feeling dirty digital signal to your Pontus II?
Since the new firmware is so revealing, it will reveal what you have.
So, when you improve your digital front end, you can always try the new firmware again.

Good listening !
Well...I have taken great lengths to have a clean signal from my choice of streamer (Pi2 Design Mercury V1) it's linear power supply, the audiophile, short I²S cable to the Pontus, etc.... I am no expert......I guess anything is possible, but many feel the same as I do here on the forum, they prefer v1.0...there could be sooo many reasons why. right? All I know is that I am HAPPY with the v1.0 sound. :relaxed: and thoroughly enjoy my listening sessions. I am glad that you are enjoying yours with the new firmware. :thumbsup:

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #395 of 1,124
If I were you, I would spend another $560 and get the Iris because you already have a very good system.👍
The improvement on soundstage and transparency on two channel system will often cost you thousands of dollars.😊
I have researched this extensively. Iris is for USB. I do not use USB (as I mentioned above)....I have Qobuz coming thru ethernet, it is hardwired ethernet directly into my Mercury Streamer. I am using I²S over a one-foot proprietary HDMI cable to the Pontus. This set-up has a cleaner signal than even with a Hermes. GoldenSound reviewed the Streamer here: https://goldensound.audio/2022/06/03/pi2design-mercury-streamer-server-measurements

And if you take a look at his DDC overview video here (which is really interesting):
He states that a Raspberry Pi Streamer (My mercury is a slightly more sophisticated Raspberry Pi...it has more connectivity options and a real case) has less noise than a Hermes at a fraction of the cost and makes for one less item in the chain.

Now...I am just parroting all of this...but after much thought I have the chain that I have for all good reasons. So...I think that I made good choices, saved money and have less components. I talked this over with Tarun (The British Audiophile), and we both agreed that my next step would be a Venus DAC for the better clock more than anything ....as the Terminator is just out of my price range and may be too much DAC for my system, anyway.

This stuff gets complicated and expensive....FAST LOL!!!!!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #396 of 1,124
I went with the new firmware for a week (Pontus II). I changed back to the original fw for another week. Now back to the new firmware for the past week. I much prefer the new firmware. The NOS mode I feel has improved the most on the new fw. I'm sending upsampled PCM 705/768 from hqplayer to an ultraRendu and USB to the Pontus 2.
I used to always send DSD from hqplayer to the Pontus 2, now, at this point in time, and with the improved NOS mode fw on the Pontus 2, I'm quite happy.

Hqplayer settings for those interested:
1x: poly-sinc-gauss-xla
Nx: poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp
Shaper: NS5
Sample rate: Auto
Rate Limit: 768
Dac bits: 16

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #397 of 1,124
Did the update fix the delay/lip sync issues for everyone? Im pretty sure mine was updated by the previous owner but the delay is still there. Its not horrible but its there.

Apr 26, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #398 of 1,124
I went with the new firmware for a week. I changed back to the original fw for another week. Now back to the new firmware for the past week. I much prefer the new firmware. The NOS mode I feel has improved the most on the new fw. I'm sending upsampled PCM 705/768 from hqplayer to an ultraRendu and USB to the Pontus 2.
I used to always send DSD from hqplayer to the Pontus 2, now, at this point in time, and with the improved NOS mode fw on the Pontus 2, I'm quite happy.
It's so interesting all the different ways that we can get from point A to point B ...as long as we tweak the best out of what we have it brings some more JOY.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #399 of 1,124
Greetings all. I am now at 90 hours with the FPGA 3.3 update on my Venus II
The new code has resulted in my sonic experience being positively increased by an enormous margin. Nothing about the changes are subtle. Stage depth, height, and horizontal boundaries are now incredible. I have experienced better channel separation, depth of field, and dark black backgrounds between the notes. Timbre is incredible. Pace and timing are right on. Bass has improved vastly with lovely mid-range and extended highs. Nothing harsh or strident, nothing booming. After this update I feel the sound has a maturity that I had not realized was lacking.
I have seen many comments that are skeptical of a software update requiring break in time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_gate_array

Cheers, and good listening. -

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #400 of 1,124
Greetings all. I am now at 90 hours with the FPGA 3.3 update on my Venus II
The new code has resulted in my sonic experience being positively increased by an enormous margin. Nothing about the changes are subtle. Stage depth, height, and horizontal boundaries are now incredible. I have experienced better channel separation, depth of field, and dark black backgrounds between the notes. Timbre is incredible. Pace and timing are right on. Bass has improved vastly with lovely mid-range and extended highs. Nothing harsh or strident, nothing booming. After this update I feel the sound has a maturity that I had not realized was lacking.
I have seen many comments that are skeptical of a software update requiring break in time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_gate_array

Cheers, and good listening
Well said as I have the same experience on my Venus II. I am settled on the new firmware and am spending time going through my library rediscovering additional nuances I had not been able to hear prior to the update.

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #401 of 1,124
Well said as I have the same experience on my Venus II. I am settled on the new firmware and am spending time going through my library rediscovering additional nuances I had not been able to hear prior to the update.
Cool beans man. Don't overlook other sources like CD. I am gobsmacked by this increase in fidelity. -

Apr 27, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #402 of 1,124
So after a few weeks I have gone back to the version 1 older firmware on my Enyo. I’m grateful to now have the choice for swapping back and forth.
I simply find the original firmware less fatiguing possibly because it’s a little warmer. The newest firmware was somewhat more revealing but I felt it could be a little harsh with some recordings.
Well done for giving us the choice.

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #404 of 1,124
That's me sorted. v1.0 is now installed in my Pontus 12th.

Immediate impressions are that the sibilance and sheen have gone, and a little more bass weight has been added. However, I've only had it on for 5 mins and now have to do the school run, so not an audiophile's preferred auditioning scenario.

I must add that I've had it on 24 hours a day for the past 6 days, continually running a system-testing wav track on repeat from my Innuos streamer. Amp was off most of the time. During this period it had improved somewhat. The worst of the initial harshness had gone. But listening last night, there was still that edge. Female vocals suffered the most.

I now have to get the cabling sorted. I currently have an unshielded Duelund 16GA RCA. I also use it for my speaker cabling and it's wonderful stuff. Recklessly, I've also decided to try out some expensive XLR Cardas Cygnus. And then, I've promised myself yet again.....the spending stops.
Regarding the Delund wire, I put Delund 12ga oiled cotton over tinned copper for speaker cables. I really like the changes. -

Apr 27, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #405 of 1,124
Yeah....I would give it a try....but for a day or so.... I am so happy with the original firmware that I am set for great sounds. I am open-minded to try a new offering, for sure.
I also have some compassion for the extra work that Alvin and The Vinshine Crew made for themselves with this free rollout. They are selling gear for a living...and they are just the distributer, not the manufacturer. .... So I know that Alvin said 7 days...but I will be patient and give them the time they need to present something else. We'll see!!!

Agreed. I hope they take their time with it; it’s much more important to get it right and now that we have the old firmware back there’s no rush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back