DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 22, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #361 of 1,181
So the version choice is made at the point of installation?
Yes, you have 2 firmwares available for your specified FPGA chip, the old newest one and the very newest one

You can check which one you have now within your DENAFRIPS app

1682162370149.png

This is the old newest version of the firmware

Best to send Alvin a photo of your FPGA Chip and date of purchase.

If you are in doubt do as Mr. PoMarantz says

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #362 of 1,181
So the version choice is made at the point of installation?
No. You just have to use another FUT (Firmware Update Tool), which can be downloaded for each Firmware separetely (one for V1.0 "old", another one for V1.3 "new").
So the choice is made while downloading the FUT according to your preferred Sound Signatur from Vinshine Audio. In the FUT you can't make a decision once started the program.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #363 of 1,181
Venus II was updated yesterday morning and running without stopping since. I am liking it. I need to do some A/B testing as I think I have adjusted to it and I do think it seemed more forward when I first fired it up. Now I am thinking there is a bit more air and space/detail. Not really noting a lack of mid punch. I have a May KTE on order will be an interesting comparison

Listening to Billie Eilish, Miles Davis, Ana Caram, Fink, and some DSD 256 Jazz recordings from NativeDSD to name a few

For reference my system is
Roon on PC to Lumin U2 Mini with Linear PSU and AudioQuest Diamond USB
Venus II to Michi P5 to Michi S5
Focal Sopra 3s and stereo pair of Rel S/812s
Cardas Clear

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #364 of 1,181
Venus II was updated yesterday morning and running without stopping since. I am liking it. I need to do some A/B testing as I think I have adjusted to it and I do think it seemed more forward when I first fired it up. Now I am thinking there is a bit more air and space/detail. Not really noting a lack of mid punch. I have a May KTE on order will be an interesting comparison

Listening to Billie Eilish, Miles Davis, Ana Caram, Fink, and some DSD 256 Jazz recordings from NativeDSD to name a few

For reference my system is
Roon on PC to Lumin U2 Mini with Linear PSU and AudioQuest Diamond USB
Venus II to Michi P5 to Michi S5
Focal Sopra 3s and stereo pair of Rel S/812s
Cardas Clear
Is the Venus new?..according to The British Audiophile, that should settle down nicely after some serious burn-in! 😀

Apr 22, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #365 of 1,181
Is the Venus new?..according to The British Audiophile, that should settle down nicely after some serious burn-in! 😀
I have had the Venus II for a month running nonstop since I got it and did buy it used, so I am thinking it's burning in nicely. Billie Eilish "xanny" will burn in anything hee hee. I wish Denefrips had a trial period as I would order a Terminator+ based on the Venus II. I Have a Holo May KTE on the way for comparison, should be interesting.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #366 of 1,181
Pontus here. Went back to beautiful v1.0 Firmware…lovin' it….just listened to Fink: Perfect Darkness as per your suggestion…sounded fantastic! Will sit tight and see what the next firmware is like….would love to check out a Venus some day.
(My system is listed at top of page 6)

Apr 22, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #368 of 1,181
You have an awesome system and no doubt Fink sounds so good. I am going to listen for the rest of the day and swap back tonight and listen for some differences. I am not disliking the new firmware on the Venus though. I'll report back after I swap. it's awesome that they put up the original firmware for us. Truly an example of the very best in customer care and service.......enjoy.......Steve

Apr 22, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #369 of 1,181
You have an awesome system and no doubt Fink sounds so good. I am going to listen for the rest of the day and swap back tonight and listen for some differences. I am not disliking the new firmware on the Venus though. I'll report back after I swap. it's awesome that they put up the original firmware for us. Truly an example of the very best in customer care and service.......enjoy.......Steve
I just looked up your speakers…damn…if they sound as good as they look, they have to be amazing!!!

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #370 of 1,181
I just looked up your speakers…damn…if they sound as good as they look, they have to be amazing!!!
I am super happy with the Sopra 3s they are so disappeared in the room. Music just occupies my space, I can really hear each recording for what is actually on the recording. On my system at least, I am sticking with the new firmware, it seems more to the point and it's uncanny good with DSD that I sourced from NativeDSD. I know this is a headphone-focused forum so I can understand the experience is quite different as I started out with a headphone rig with Focal Utopia's. Let's see what the next update brings

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #371 of 1,181
I am super happy with the Sopra 3s they are so disappeared in the room. Music just occupies my space, I can really hear each recording for what is actually on the recording. On my system at least, I am sticking with the new firmware, it seems more to the point and it's uncanny good with DSD that I sourced from NativeDSD. I know this is a headphone-focused forum so I can understand the experience is quite different as I started out with a headphone rig with Focal Utopia's. Let's see what the next update brings
My speakers disappear "with good recordings"…I got a little nutty with my Freya+ Preamp. I took it apart went into the tube stage on the board and removed the 4 cheap capacitors and 8 cheap resistors and soldered in $600 worth of Oil/film capacitors and Audio Note resistors. I cut some vents into the top to help with heat disappation, too. I call it my supercharged Freya. 😀 After burn-in the soundstage and detail really improved…initially when I put in the new firmware I liked the "improved" detail and slightly tighter bass……but over about a week, after listening to a lot of familiar music…for me…it became fatiguing With my gear.Coming to this forum, even though it's a headphones forum the community here help confirm that others felt as I did… so it centered me for my decision to switch back…but I get it that others like the new firmware. There are just so many variables.

Apr 23, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #372 of 1,181
I just received my used,but new to me Denafrips ARES II Enyo and after hooking everything up via both Coax inputs,I basically like the sound so far and that's without the newest firmware update.
Vinshine manual says that the "old" ARES II and the 'new' ENYO are basically the same unit,other than the name,but I found that pressing the "MUTE" button,according to the manual for the ARES II,the LED light for Mute is supposed to flash at one second intervals,well mine stays ON,no flashing,so obviously the internals are not the same,unless I got an oddball one?....anyways,the update looks very complicated to me,so I hope I don't "need' to do the update.
Anyone here using the newer version ARES II ENYO?.Thanks,Huck
I have the Enyo. I never owned the Ares 2. My mute led stays on. As far as the FPGA update, I like it and have no interest in going back to the original version.
For me right after the update I did not like the sound, however after leaving the streamer and Enyo on, playing all night (the amplifier was off). In the morning I couldn’t believe my ears, it sounded that good to me.
I hope you enjoy! 😉

Apr 24, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #373 of 1,181
I have the Enyo. I never owned the Ares 2. My mute led stays on. As far as the FPGA update, I like it and have no interest in going back to the original version.
For me right after the update I did not like the sound, however after leaving the streamer and Enyo on, playing all night (the amplifier was off). In the morning I couldn’t believe my ears, it sounded that good to me.
I hope you enjoy! 😉
Hi: I have the Enyo with the 'old' firmware and was wondering which input you prefer?Thanks,Huck

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #375 of 1,181
Finally, my ENYO rolled back to 1.0 firmware and the sound I purchased is back.
The sound is probably better now than when I bought ENYO because ENYO was 1.1 firmware and now it is ARES II 1.0 firmware.
Now it's that voice that opens up the sales for Denafrips in the world.

Previously rolling back version 1.0 firmware was not successful; just now suddenly thought of a method; copy the 1.0 firmware file .fmc to the 1.2 firmware upgrade directory, and delete the 1.2 firmware file .fmc, after that, run bat......... successfully rolled back.

There is a bug in this operation, which is that the DENAFRIPS Audio Contral Panel will show firmware version 1.2, which is essentially firmware version 1.0.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back