DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 25, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #376 of 1,181
That's me sorted. v1.0 is now installed in my Pontus 12th.

Immediate impressions are that the sibilance and sheen have gone, and a little more bass weight has been added. However, I've only had it on for 5 mins and now have to do the school run, so not an audiophile's preferred auditioning scenario.

I must add that I've had it on 24 hours a day for the past 6 days, continually running a system-testing wav track on repeat from my Innuos streamer. Amp was off most of the time. During this period it had improved somewhat. The worst of the initial harshness had gone. But listening last night, there was still that edge. Female vocals suffered the most.

I now have to get the cabling sorted. I currently have an unshielded Duelund 16GA RCA. I also use it for my speaker cabling and it's wonderful stuff. Recklessly, I've also decided to try out some expensive XLR Cardas Cygnus. And then, I've promised myself yet again.....the spending stops.

Apr 25, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #377 of 1,181
That's me sorted. v1.0 is now installed in my Pontus 12th.

Immediate impressions are that the sibilance and sheen have gone, and a little more bass weight has been added. However, I've only had it on for 5 mins and now have to do the school run, so not an audiophile's preferred auditioning scenario.

I must add that I've had it on 24 hours a day for the past 6 days, continually running a system-testing wav track on repeat from my Innuos streamer. Amp was off most of the time. During this period it had improved somewhat. The worst of the initial harshness had gone. But listening last night, there was still that edge. Female vocals suffered the most.

I now have to get the cabling sorted. I currently have an unshielded Duelund 16GA RCA. I also use it for my speaker cabling and it's wonderful stuff. Recklessly, I've also decided to try out some expensive XLR Cardas Cygnus. And then, I've promised myself yet again.....the spending stops.
"The spending stops" is one of the most famous jokes I repeat myself many many many many, many times. And the joke keeps going :ksc75smile: :sweat_drops:

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #381 of 1,181
I also enjoy with the FPGA burn-in joke🤪. All these lazy electrons…
Yassas my friend, it was crazy about the FPGA burn-in, what it really burnt was my ears, going back to the OG was instant pleasure, Nirvana again haha

Apr 26, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #383 of 1,181
Finally managed to do FPGA Firmware Update on DAC Pontus II.
Sound impressions after FPGA Firmware Update are the most positive. The sound became more analog and more mature. As if DAC has become a higher class. Subjectively, the device began to sound an order of magnitude higher class.
Thank you . Excellent customer support and care

Apr 26, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #384 of 1,181
Finally managed to do FPGA Firmware Update on DAC Pontus II.
Sound impressions after FPGA Firmware Update are the most positive. The sound became more analog and more mature. As if DAC has become a higher class. Subjectively, the device began to sound an order of magnitude higher class.
Thank you . Excellent customer support and care
I have to agree, I know that some folks much prefer the original firmware. I swapped firmware 10 times last night listening to the same two tracks. No doubt the original firmware is more laid back. But the new firmware is more detailed and revealing to me. Every time I went back to the original firmware I felt I was missing something I really enjoyed.
It’s great to have a choice so people can choose what makes them happiest. I wIll say poor recordings sound worse to me on the new firmware. Old or new enjoy everybody

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #385 of 1,181
I have to agree, I know that some folks much prefer the original firmware. I swapped firmware 10 times last night listening to the same two tracks. No doubt the original firmware is more laid back. But the new firmware is more detailed and revealing to me. Every time I went back to the original firmware I felt I was missing something I really enjoyed.
It’s great to have a choice so people can choose what makes them happiest. I wIll say poor recordings sound worse to me on the new firmware. Old or new enjoy everybody
For a day or two I felt the same way...but then as I started rotating thru music that I know very well on my system I found the sound over all to be more edgy and glassy up top with many recording. It became fatiguing "for me" and my system. I went back and I am so happy... I have tons of detail and clarity...but no edginess on 90% of what I listen to....it just all sounds really good with no fatigue.... I also think that perhap each persons' ears has something to do with the preference diversity (of course our equipment differences are understood).... As humans we probably all hear differently. Right?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #386 of 1,181
For a day or two I felt the same way...but then as I started rotating thru music that I know very well on my system I found the sound over all to be my edgy and glassy up top with many recording. It became fatiguing "for me" and my system. I went back and I am so happy... I have tons of detail and clarity...but no edginess on 90% of what I listen to....it just all sounds really good with no fatigue.... I also think that perhap each persons' ears has something to do with the preference diversity (of course our equipment differences are understood).... As humans we probably all hear differently. Right?

The FPGA firmware update essentially 'rewired' the logic gates in the FPGA chip. Allow some time for the FPGA to burn in for optimum sound reproduction and you will hear the sound and potential of new FPGA firmware

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #387 of 1,181
The FPGA firmware update essentially 'rewired' the logic gates in the FPGA chip. Allow some time for the FPGA to burn in for optimum sound reproduction and you will hear the sound and potential of new FPGA firmware
"For Me" I did not hear ANY difference in the sound after 200 (painful :)) hours of burn-in. There was no change. I listened very patiently for some change to happen...it i just never did. Also, when I reloaded version 1....My DAC sounded the way it was before the update. Immediately. It has not changed in any meaningful way since then. Let me say...I am a fan of burn-in with new components, especially speakers, etc.... i.e. when my Pontus was new..I DEFINITELY noticed a very pleasing change (warming & smoothing) after about and up to 100 hrs. .. but "for me" notion of burn in for these firmwares is total poppycock. I know that we all have different experiences for different reasons (hearing, system equipment, etc.) . ...but I would be remiss not to be honest here...and I did very careful listening and testing as best I could... I believe that I am not alone in this assessment and that has helped my sanity! LOL!
This thread has be so helpful and supportive to this firmware introduction for me....and helps confirm my joy in returning to v.1.0.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #388 of 1,181
"For Me" I did not hear ANY difference in the sound after 200 (painful :)) hours of burn-in. There was no change. Also, when I reloaded version 1....My DAC sounded the way it was before the update. Immediately. It has not changed in any meaningful way since then. Let me say...I am a fan of burn-in with new components, especially speakers, etc.... i.e. when my Pontus was new..I DEFINITELY noticed a very pleasing change (warming & smoothing) after about and up to 100 hrs. .. but "for me" notion of burn in for these firmwares is total poppycock. I know that we all have different experiences for different reasons. ...but I would be remiss not to be honest here...and I did very careful listening and testing as best I could... I believe that I am not alone in this assessment and that has help my sanity! LOL!
This thread has be so helpful and supportive to this firmware introduction for me....and helps confirm my joy in returning to v.1.0.
Everyone has a different ear. Someone does not hear the difference in replacing cables, someone does not hear the degradation of lamps, someone does not hear the difference between a XLR balanced output (input) and an RCA output (input), and this is good,
because we are all different people. But categorically stating that this is nonsense is not very correct.

Apr 26, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #390 of 1,181
I'm still waiting for a fixed firmware, one that will be a bridge between the original and the latest one
Yeah....I would give it a try....but for a day or so.... I am so happy with the original firmware that I am set for great sounds. I am open-minded to try a new offering, for sure.
I also have some compassion for the extra work that Alvin and The Vinshine Crew made for themselves with this free rollout. They are selling gear for a living...and they are just the distributer, not the manufacturer. .... So I know that Alvin said 7 days...but I will be patient and give them the time they need to present something else. We'll see!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back