DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 28, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #406 of 1,181
Greetings all. I am now at 90 hours with the FPGA 3.3 update on my Venus II
I have seen many comments that are skeptical of a software update requiring break in time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_gate_array

Cheers, and good listening. -
Have had my Venus II since 06/2022 - tried V3.3 on several occasions / evenings, but always going back to V1.0/3.1.
Streaming Qobuz is done via USB / Auralic Aries streamer.
The FPGA is the EP4CE22F version.

My observations (tighter bass, more punch, more clarity, but also less warmth and a plus in listening fatigue) matches the ones of many others. No news here.
That's why after only short periods only I went back to the old version every evening until now.

Which input using what device do you use?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #407 of 1,181
Regarding the Delund wire, I put Delund 12ga oiled cotton over tinned copper for speaker cables. I really like the changes. -
I've gone back to the 12GA too. It's a touch warmer and fuller than the 16GA, which is a shame as the 16 offers incredible midrange tones.
After living with the v1.0 Pontus for a few days I'm still experiencing a little too much sibilance. Clearly the Pontus is a brighter sounding DAC when compared to my existing Hegel H390 internal DAC. Which is very annoying.

It could, I admit, be my new Cardas XLRs. I'm tempted to also try one of the Purist offerings.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #408 of 1,181
I went with the new firmware for a week (Pontus II). I changed back to the original fw for another week. Now back to the new firmware for the past week. I much prefer the new firmware. The NOS mode I feel has improved the most on the new fw. I'm sending upsampled PCM 705/768 from hqplayer to an ultraRendu and USB to the Pontus 2.
I used to always send DSD from hqplayer to the Pontus 2, now, at this point in time, and with the improved NOS mode fw on the Pontus 2, I'm quite happy.

Hqplayer settings for those interested:
1x: poly-sinc-gauss-xla
Nx: poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp
Shaper: NS5
Sample rate: Auto
Rate Limit: 768
Dac bits: 16
Pontus2/12 received yesterday. latest SW. I confess that, after reading the criticisms here on the forum, I expected a worse listening experience. Instead, after only a few hours, the result is a pleasant, organic,listening experience, a discreet image, even if not very defined, soft transients, sufficient macro and micro dynamics. But I will let a month pass before making a serious judgement. (I listen with speakers, and I'm an analogist. There is no comparison here)

Apr 29, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #409 of 1,181
Pontus2/12 received yesterday. latest SW. I confess that, after reading the criticisms here on the forum, I expected a worse listening experience. Instead, after only a few hours, the result is a pleasant, organic,listening experience, a discreet image, even if not very defined, soft transients, sufficient macro and micro dynamics. But I will let a month pass before making a serious judgement. (I listen with speakers, and I'm an analogist. There is no comparison here)
I did forget to mention that I listen with speakers (Spendor/REL subs). With your new Pontus some run in will be required. I'm still on the new firmware but now back to upsampling to DSD 256 using HQPlayer. PCM NOS mode and HQP upsampling to 768 or 1536 is pretty darn good as well.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #410 of 1,181
I also received a new Pontus - last Thursday. My findings matches yours @Riccioli30 . I'll also wait 3-4 weeks before serious judgement:smile_phones:. I am using it with an LTA MZ3 amp and ZMF Verite Closed headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #411 of 1,181
Have had my Venus II since 06/2022 - tried V3.3 on several occasions / evenings, but always going back to V1.0/3.1.
Streaming Qobuz is done via USB / Auralic Aries streamer.
The FPGA is the EP4CE22F version.
My observations (tighter bass, more punch, more clarity, but also less warmth and a plus in listening fatigue) matches the ones of many others. No news here.
That's why after only short periods only I went back to the old version every evening until now.
Quick update in case someone's interested:
Put the new FW V3.3 on the Venus II yesterday again and let it play music non-stop since then. After the 24h period now the listening fatigue I experienced seems much reduced if not gone... interesting.

I start to believe that there's some burn-in effect after flashing a new / different version of FPGA firmware, even with DACs that have been used for months already.

Reminds me of overclocking CPUs in the 90's and naughties -- after a while of running at higher clock speeds with increased voltage the system would run stable, and voltage could be reduced a little - CPU burn in.

May 1, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #412 of 1,181
Been running new firmware for a week on Venus II after swapping a bunch of times last weekend. Figured I would go back to original to see what I hear. To me the old firmware is now way too polite and I felt so much was missing. No doubt the new firmware points out poor recordings and makes them hard to listen to but the good stuff is worth sticking with the new. Native DSD is off the hook good. Maybe we will get another update that is best of both. Regardless of choice, enjoy the music

May 1, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #413 of 1,181
Been running new firmware for a week on Venus II after swapping a bunch of times last weekend. Figured I would go back to original to see what I hear. To me the old firmware is now way too polite and I felt so much was missing. No doubt the new firmware points out poor recordings and makes them hard to listen to but the good stuff is worth sticking with the new. Native DSD is off the hook good. Maybe we will get another update that is best of both. Regardless of choice, enjoy the music
Thanks, will do some swaps tonight I guess.
Just hooked up my RME as a constant reference point. :wink:

=== EDIT 2 hours later ===

... still the same: overall I much prefer the old FPGA firmware regarding its sound characteristics.
The initial sharpness/harshness when first playing the new firmware is definitely gone - so there must be something going on when a DAC receives the firmware first time.

Most striking for me - in favour of the old firmware - is the tonal richness it has, plus a certain midrange "heft" that is simply missing with the new firmware.

Take for instance strings - with the old firmware I can clearly hear and almost feel how the bow is rubbing the strings, with the new firmware that experience is gone - in exchange for some kick in the bass and a little more extension in the trebbles.

Guess it's all about system synergy - with my setup at least, I'll stick with the old version (V3.1 in my case) now.
Nevertheless I will happily try the next iteration, whenever it will be released.

Thumbs up to Vinshineaudio and Denafrips for giving us a choice here. Just wonder if future hardware releases (Venus III... ) will still be available with that "old" Denafrips sound some people like so much.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Groß (IMG_1649).jpeg
    Groß (IMG_1649).jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #414 of 1,181
"Most striking for me - in favour of the old firmware - is the tonal richness it has, plus a certain midrange "heft" that is simply missing with the new firmware."
Ditto my experience with my Pontus II (my system listed at the top of page 6).
Although, I experienced no change in sound quality over time with the new firmware. There was no "burn-in" change "for me". I was patient, too…put 200 hours on it.
Also, when I restore old firmware my system immediately reverted to old sound. It has not changed over time. SOOOOO happy to have it back…smiled all weekend! 👍🏼

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #417 of 1,181
Pontus 12th, P6F1.3, I2S connection

Are the "L channel and R channel" reversed?
Not sure what you mean, but on the Venus II downloads page there is a hint about "channel swap" with DACs made before/after 10/2020. See screenshot.
IMG_1661.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back