DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 13, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #196 of 1,124
Oh for sure, the NOS mode will always sound more analog regardless. I just did some listening just now and the treble is much better now. I can't believe I have been listening to Fast filter for a week and a half! Wish there was a button/light for the filters. But yeah, it's still not as rich and analog as it was before the update. I think the bass and upper bass region could be argued as being a bit more correct or neutral but that wasn't the point with the original FPGA which in the Pontus II was a bit more robust or slightly exaggerated and that's part of why I and a lot of people liked it so much. That contributed to more body and weight which seems to be missing now. I love the little more open quality and res but here again even in Slow filter the treble range isn't as rich and smooth as it was before.

Edit - Also, some soundstage depth returned with the Slow filter, thank goodness.
Yes...at first, with the firmware update I was excited about "more info" , but over time it turned into not such a good thing, "for me". I have a warmer system, too...so that is pretty telling. I also have a Marantz SACD 30n with a built in streamer and Burr/Brown DAC. It is warm for a chip-based DAC. My Pontus used to have a tone very close to it buy more detail, soundstage and depth. When I directly compare them now..my Pontus sounds like a chipped-based DAA. I am going to just utilize the Marantz in the meantime. What I would now like to see from Denafrips is an opportunity to download the old firmware and if they make a better upgrade I would like to try that, too. ..but for right now...I am patiently on hold.
They are good people...and I bet super overwhelmed right now. So...I think that patience is the key.

Apr 13, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #197 of 1,124
Yes...at first, with the firmware update I was excited about "more info" , but over time it turned into not such a good thing, "for me". I have a warmer system, too...so that is pretty telling. I also have a Marantz SACD 30n with a built in streamer and Burr/Brown DAC. It is warm for a chip-based DAC. My Pontus used to have a tone very close to it buy more detail, soundstage and depth. When I directly compare them now..my Pontus sounds like a chipped-based DAA. I am going to just utilize the Marantz in the meantime. What I would now like to see from Denafrips is an opportunity to download the old firmware and if they make a better upgrade I would like to try that, too. ..but for right now...I am patiently on hold.
They are good people...and I bet super overwhelmed right now. So...I think that patience is the key.
Totally agree with all of that. Yep, even though I praise the "more info" I would gladly trade that for warmth and musicality. Yeah, I can only imagine Denafrips feels like they are in a pickle right now but I'm being patient as well, definitely great people. It would be awesome if they could make all of the firmware versions available for download. Better yet, build them into the FPGA system and allow us to cycle through and select update versions via a sequence of buttons on the front panel.

Apr 13, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #198 of 1,124
Totally agree with all of that. Yep, even though I praise the "more info" I would gladly trade that for warmth and musicality. Yeah, I can only imagine Denafrips feels like they are in a pickle right now but I'm being patient as well, definitely great people. It would be awesome if they could make all of the firmware versions available for download. Better yet, build them into the FPGA system and allow us to cycle through and select update versions via a sequence of buttons on the front panel.
WOW! I don't know if I could handle THAT! LOL!...I am just grateful that I was able to load the software successfully with no problems. .With what is going on...and the subtleties....It would REALLY be nice to have a remote, though. So I could assess the changes to NOS/OS, Filters and Phase from the seated position. At any rate....this is all a luxury problem...but I am finding it to be quite interesting, overall. I have learned a lot. :thumbsup:

Apr 13, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #199 of 1,124
Oh for sure, the NOS mode will always sound more analog regardless. I just did some listening just now and the treble is much better now. I can't believe I have been listening to Fast filter for a week and a half! Wish there was a button/light for the filters. But yeah, it's still not as rich and analog as it was before the update. I think the bass and upper bass region could be argued as being a bit more correct or neutral but that wasn't the point with the original FPGA which in the Pontus II was a bit more robust or slightly exaggerated and that's part of why I and a lot of people liked it so much. That contributed to more body and weight which seems to be missing now. I love the little more open quality and res but here again even in Slow filter the treble range isn't as rich and smooth as it was before.

Edit - Also, some soundstage depth returned with the Slow filter, thank goodness.
I can never hear a difference between any of the filters....

Apr 13, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #200 of 1,124
It seems that there is a substantial difference with the Ares II update. I have an Ares 2 I purchased late in 2020. The firmware update took a very good dac and transformed it into a much better dac in many respects. I am totally satisfied with the improvement. It is not subtle. The Ares maintains the same tonal quality but the soundstage opened in width and depth. There is also better focus. It seems that their upgrade for the Pontus did not bring the same results. It is only coding after all so I am sure they will get it right on their next revision. I had been considering upgrading before the update but now I am totally happy with the Ares 2. The upgrade really brought it to another level entirely. I am using usb with a special cable as that is the only option on the Ares 2. That may have something to do with how effective this update has been on the Ares 2.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #202 of 1,124
They should just provide the old and new firmware. iFi Audio does this. JDS labs does this.

Thanks for bringing this up. Just to clarify, our products (and several other manufacturers' too!) can get their FW easily upgraded, but that often can't be done over USB and requires special tools (forks et.). What I mean here is that sometimes a design doesn't easily allow for that change later on. Hope this helps, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 13, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #206 of 1,124
You bet. I started with Ares II, upgraded to Pontus II after a year, liked it so much and ended up buying a T-Plus. Can't wait to get the latest firmware :)
How is the T+?

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #208 of 1,124
BTW, forgot to mention the system. At home I don't use headphones, no streaming from the internet either. I have 4000+ albums (mostly classical, some jazz, ~75% of those are HiRes 24 bit or DSD files and the rest 16 bit FLAC copies of my CDs) stored in a Synology 5-bay NAS connected to a dedicated Roon core (NUC10i7) -> ethernet->Network Acoustics Eno Ethernet filter ->Melco N1a/2 as Roon endpoint -> Wireworld Starlight Platinum 7 USB cable -> Denafrips Iris DDC <-clock sync with two Canare 75 ohm BNC cables->+ -> DH Labs Silversonic HDMI I2S cable -> Denafrips T+ -> Better Cables flagship balanced XLR cables -> Ayre K-3x preamp -> Better Cables Balanced XLR cables -> Bel Canto Ref1000M mono blocks -> Audio Art SC-5 ePlus Cryo Speaker Cables -> Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1 speakers.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #210 of 1,124
I have a usb cable that is split so that the power and the data is handled by a separate usb connection. I do understand that the Ares 2 has a coax and optical connection but I have never used it on this or any other dac. The cable is supposed to prevent noise from the power connection. I have had this cable a long time with good results.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back