Denafrips Artemis
Feb 8, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #93 of 205
How was your experience getting this resolved?
Friendly service by the US service center. The entire board has been changed. Power supply and torroidal are the original ones. Took about 100 hours to settle. Runs great and sounds great !

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #98 of 205
Interesting impressions of the Artemis. One of the reasons that Alvin hasn't put it out for a lot of reviews is that it is a Unity Gain amp, which really benefits from a pre-amp. McIntosh built their reputation around Unity Gain amps, so there is definitely something to it... But, it will definitely make it less synergistic with planars and you will have way less volume play if going straight from a DAC to the Artemis. I currently have the McIntosh MHA200 in house for a demo which is also a Unity Gain Amp. I don't have a proper Pre-Amp between my DAC and the MHA200. Zero on the volume pot is basically at 12. However, by 2 the MHA200 is louder than I can stand. Granted I can use my Exogal Comet+ as a pre/dac which definitely helps with the Unity Gain. I don't understand all the technical reasons why it was designed with Unity Gain, but it makes the amp harder to pair. It looks like everyone is enjoying it for the most part which is awesome. I, too have been very interested in this amp for awhile. Maybe one day I will get to hear it.
Im currently inserting a tube preamp to the artemis, not sure where to put the artemis volume at? Do i just maxed it out?

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #99 of 205
Im currently inserting a tube preamp to the artemis, not sure where to put the artemis volume at? Do i just maxed it out?
That is a great question. I wish I could help you. With the Artemis being a Unity Gain amp, I am not sure where you should put it. I don't own an Artemis, I only know from speaking with Alvin Chee about the amp that it is a unity gain amp, and that it isn't for everyone or every type of headphone. My advice would be to play with the Artemis's volume until you get it to the right spot and then use your tube pre for volume. Whenever I have inserted a preamp between my DAC and Amps, I have played with the volume of both the pre and the headphone amp until I found the right spot for both. The advantage of having a pre in front of a headamp should be more flexibility with the volume pot on your headphone amp. Especially with headamps that have a ton of gain. It will help to tame the gain. But, with a unity gain amp the sweet spot is a bit different. I wish I could give you better advice. You might reach out to Alvin for his thoughts. He understands the Artemis better than I do. Best of luck!!!!

Apr 3, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #100 of 205
That is a great question. I wish I could help you. With the Artemis being a Unity Gain amp, I am not sure where you should put it. I don't own an Artemis, I only know from speaking with Alvin Chee about the amp that it is a unity gain amp, and that it isn't for everyone or every type of headphone. My advice would be to play with the Artemis's volume until you get it to the right spot and then use your tube pre for volume. Whenever I have inserted a preamp between my DAC and Amps, I have played with the volume of both the pre and the headphone amp until I found the right spot for both. The advantage of having a pre in front of a headamp should be more flexibility with the volume pot on your headphone amp. Especially with headamps that have a ton of gain. It will help to tame the gain. But, with a unity gain amp the sweet spot is a bit different. I wish I could give you better advice. You might reach out to Alvin for his thoughts. He understands the Artemis better than I do. Best of luck!!!!
I have the Artemis. It is fed directly from my DAC. No pre-amp.
My headphones are Hifiman HE1000SE, Sennheiser HD800S and Heddphone1.
They all sound great and the planar Hifiman possible the best of all. Also there is more than enough power to get the best out of the power-hungry Heddphone.
I changed to the Artemis from Violectric V281.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #101 of 205
I have the Artemis. It is fed directly from my DAC. No pre-amp.
My headphones are Hifiman HE1000SE, Sennheiser HD800S and Heddphone1.
They all sound great and the planar Hifiman possible the best of all.
I changed to the Artemis from Violectric V281.
That is awesome!!!! Love to hear that... You have some great headphones...

Apr 3, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #102 of 205
Thank you!! I agree the artemis is an amazing amp, athough the 10ohms output impedance makes it more difficult and purchasing a headphone for it. I really wanna purchase the lcd XC but the impedance mismatch scares me

Aug 19, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #104 of 205
Is there enough clicks to fine tune the volume pot given it only has 24 steps on the Artemis?

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #105 of 205
Is there enough clicks to fine tune the volume pot given it only has 24 steps on the Artemis?
In my case 24 steps with my 32 ohm headphones is really adequate, I typically use between 3-7 clicks depending of the recording level, I never felt falling between two clicks volume wise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back