Denafrips Artemis
Nov 26, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #77 of 205
Im currently demoing a denafrips artemis amp, using the pontus 2 as dac via rca (no xlr yet). First impression was that it was super dark and bassy. Like changing the sound of the headphones too much. Lets see after some burn in. Initial impression was surprising. Headphones use were the zmf atrium and hd800s with nordost heimdall 2 cabling.
That was my experience when I got the Artemis. After about a week it opened up, the bass lightens and is matched by a warm mid range and an airy extended treble that suits my HD800S just right. That is not surprising as Alvin told me it was tuned with the HD800S as reference.

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #78 of 205
After 12 hours burn in....the sound changes abit. Only after 12 hours, i feel this is a very spacious amp! It have huge thick bass and slightly backward treble with rich midrange. I compared with the milo, 3xgt, oor and cma800r (from memory). Its sounds more tooby then my OTL wa2.....Hope it continues to improve.

Ohh...Also this amp is very powerful! I do alot of Eq for fun. Even at -14db preamp gain for hd800s, still manage it easily.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #79 of 205
It's a pity you only have 24 hours to try it - doesn't sound like it will do the unit justice. I have been saving for an Artemis to go with my Pontus 2. If you have any thoughts on it compared to the Oor I would be interested as I have heard good things and they are in the same price bracket. My reservation about the Artemis is how it would handle hard-hitting rock music.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #80 of 205
The oor needs the hypsos to be optimal, hence the oor is actually quite abit more expensive. The artemis is unique sounding and different for sure. Its more Spacious in a way, yet less engaging and exciting than the oor. The artemis is also warmer and richer sounding in the mids. Ill do more listening after burnin in abit more. For rock at the moment.....its the strength of the oor .

And 1 think needs to be mentioned, the artemis is built fantastic! Feels heavy and well built

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #81 of 205
The oor needs the hypsos to be optimal, hence the oor is actually quite abit more expensive. The artemis is unique sounding and different for sure. Its more Spacious in a way, yet less engaging and exciting than the oor. The artemis is also warmer and richer sounding in the mids. Ill do more listening after burnin in abit more. For rock at the moment.....its the strength of the oor .

And 1 think needs to be mentioned, the artemis is built fantastic! Feels heavy and well built
Indeed the Artemis is spacious, I had the Violectric V100 and Singxer SA-1 at the same time and while both were more neutral they were less musical and soundstage noticeably smaller so I sold both V100 and SA-1. Now that my Artemis is out for repairs I got a mint Bryston BHA-1 as a second unit. The BHA-1 is pretty dynamic but soundstage if flatter, narrower and instrument separation is way inferior compared to the Artemis. I may give a shot to the Schiit Ragnarok since I'm also looking for an integrated amp.

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #82 of 205
It's a pity you only have 24 hours to try it - doesn't sound like it will do the unit justice. I have been saving for an Artemis to go with my Pontus 2. If you have any thoughts on it compared to the Oor I would be interested as I have heard good things and they are in the same price bracket. My reservation about the Artemis is how it would handle hard-hitting rock music.

Indeed the Artemis is spacious, I had the Violectric V100 and Singxer SA-1 at the same time and while both were more neutral they were less musical and soundstage noticeably smaller so I sold both V100 and SA-1. Now that my Artemis is out for repairs I got a mint Bryston BHA-1 as a second unit. The BHA-1 is pretty dynamic but soundstage if flatter, narrower and instrument separation is way inferior compared to the Artemis. I may give a shot to the Schiit Ragnarok since I'm also looking for an integrated amp.
Wow im actually very interested in the bha-1 too because of SABF recomendtions for the hd800s.
After around 24 hours, i can say im liking the artemis that i may be replacing my beloved cayin iha-6. The Artemis sounds special, like its beautiful and subtle and spacious where i can get lost. For rock and metal and EDM i still prefer the OOR. Artemis is for those with subtle beauty in the genre, like soft touches and strings and piano where the richness adds a certain charm. Maybe it will be even better after 100 hours.

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #83 of 205
Wow im actually very interested in the bha-1 too because of SABF recomendtions for the hd800s.
After around 24 hours, i can say im liking the artemis that i may be replacing my beloved cayin iha-6. The Artemis sounds special, like its beautiful and subtle and spacious where i can get lost. For rock and metal and EDM i still prefer the OOR. Artemis is for those with subtle beauty in the genre, like soft touches and strings and piano where the richness adds a certain charm. Maybe it will be even better after 100 hours.
How is it after 100 hours?

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #84 of 205
How is it after 100 hours?
Purchased it 😁 For my taste and preference, the artemis suits me perfectly. The bass is just nice and have a certain richness in the mids that i like. Also its the spaciousness that makes me fall in love with the system. Its more diffused than pin point imaging, but thats my prefered sound, more natural to me. Also in my opinion, this amp have very deep soundstage. Fyi i did use a wooaudio wa2 as a tube preamp.

Pc -> usb to d10s (hope to replace with denafrips hermes or iris) ->spdif to pontus 2 ->wooaudio wa2 -> artemis

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #85 of 205
Purchased it 😁 For my taste and preference, the artemis suits me perfectly. The bass is just nice and have a certain richness in the mids that i like. Also its the spaciousness that makes me fall in love with the system. Its more diffused than pin point imaging, but thats my prefered sound, more natural to me. Also in my opinion, this amp have very deep soundstage. Fyi i did use a wooaudio wa2 as a tube preamp.

Pc -> usb to d10s (hope to replace with denafrips hermes or iris) ->spdif to pontus 2 ->wooaudio wa2 -> artemis
Congrats and I hope you are enjoying it!

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #86 of 205
I am using the Artemis to power Hifiman HE1000se straight from the DAC.
They sound great. I also use the Artemis to power Sennheiser HD800s with equally good results.
I was previously using Violectric V281 for the HE1000se and a hybrid tube amp Xduoo TA20 for the Sennheisers.
The Artemis sounds better in both cases.
Jumping in after a long time :)
I absolutely love the Denfrips products! The Artemis is an excellent HPA however it will not drive my Abyss 1266’s.
My Artemis is connected directly from my Pontus 11. I had recently purchased a Kinky EXM1 integrated amp from Alvin however I should have given more thought.
Don’t get me wrong, the Kinky EXM1 is a kick ass integrated amplifier however I should have given consideration to adding power to my Artemis to power my Abyss. I just reached out to Alvin this weekend and I believe I am going deeper into the rabbit hole for a new Pre amp just to drive my Artemis to drive my Abyss and LCD4’s

The rabbit hole is endless….but I love it in here :)

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #87 of 205
Jumping in after a long time :)
I absolutely love the Denfrips products! The Artemis is an excellent HPA however it will not drive my Abyss 1266’s.
My Artemis is connected directly from my Pontus 11. I had recently purchased a Kinky EXM1 integrated amp from Alvin however I should have given more thought.
Don’t get me wrong, the Kinky EXM1 is a kick ass integrated amplifier however I should have given consideration to adding power to my Artemis to power my Abyss. I just reached out to Alvin this weekend and I believe I am going deeper into the rabbit hole for a new Pre amp just to drive my Artemis to drive my Abyss and LCD4’s

The rabbit hole is endless….but I love it in here :)
Sometimes im still confused about output impedance...the artemis output impedance is 10ohms hence best used for headphones with 80ohms? Im still confused about impendance but i read its about 1:8. The 1266 with 50 ohms should be not suitable? But the he1000se with even lower impedance seems like good match?

Can someone shed some light and advice in this

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #88 of 205
Sometimes im still confused about output impedance...the artemis output impedance is 10ohms hence best used for headphones with 80ohms? Im still confused about impendance but i read its about 1:8. The 1266 with 50 ohms should be not suitable? But the he1000se with even lower impedance seems like good match?

Can someone shed some light and advice in this
I had reached out to Alvin at VinshineAudio and he recommended I would need alternative amp to drive the hungry Abyss….But I love the very clean sound of my Artemis. And I love my Abyss 1266 …where to go from here

I am listening to my Abyss at the full 24 clicks on my Artemis, sound is good but it’s is not enough. Particularly with some of my DSD music files…not nearly enough volume

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #89 of 205
im interested in something like a schiit freya+ for the artemis. It can add 12db of tube gain to the artemis. The artemis is unity gain with 0 gain hence difficult for the abyss. Please try using a preamp, and tubes will add a needed color

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #90 of 205
Wondering if anyone here actually used a preamp with the artemis. A preamp like the hestia, hades or even a freya +. The WA2 is a good tube preamp but i would want to do full balanced setup to test. Any experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back