DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 31, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #3,781 of 3,907
The

The USB signal is muted when using other input`s and is mentioned in the literature. As this is the USB driver and only effects the USB controller I`m not sure how this is possible. But I`m glad you found what you are looking for.
I heard a difference when I A/B tested between the MCU versions using the Coax input of my Dac.

If you have not A/B tested between the different MCU versions, how would you know?

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #3,782 of 3,907
I heard a difference when I A/B tested between the MCU versions using the Coax input of my Dac.

If you have not A/B tested between the different MCU versions, how would you know?
I have updated the USB MCU starting from V3.3.2, 3.3.5, 3.4.1, 3.60, and now on the latest 3.12.0. and the only difference is when using USB output. I have tested all the inputs and found coax to be my favorite.

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #3,783 of 3,907
I have updated the USB MCU starting from V3.3.2, 3.3.5, 3.4.1, 3.60, and now on the latest 3.12.0. and the only difference is when using USB output. I have tested all the inputs and found coax to be my favorite.
I would recommend going back and forth between MCU v3.12.0 and v3.14.0 (or an even older version) and see if you hear a difference with both USB and Coax inputs, I'd be interested to know what you determine. I'd also be happy to re-do the test myself.

The literature seems to indicate that the MCU only affects the USB input, but that may not be the case, and my listening tests seem to indicate otherwise.

Apr 7, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #3,786 of 3,907
I upgraded my ares ii firmware and have been using it fine via coax. I just tried to use it directly with USB today and it stutters like every second. It sounds like it's super laggy. Anyone have any ideas?
Have you tried adjusting the buffer size in the Denafrips USB audio device control panel?

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #3,789 of 3,907
When I adjusted the buffer size too low, it started to glitch/stutter, the problem went away when I increased the size.
Interesting. Yea I did try it again, from the lowest to the highest. It didn't seem to help or change anything at all in my case. Just constant stuttering, some sounds are missed (windows sound effects).

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #3,790 of 3,907
Interesting. Yea I did try it again, from the lowest to the highest. It didn't seem to help or change anything at all in my case. Just constant stuttering, some sounds are missed (windows sound effects).
1. Never set your DAC as a default Windows sound device. Let sound effects play through the internal sound chip.
2. Fact of mixing sound effects also shows that your output is not WASAPI Exclusive (event driven mode). Get exclusive playback working first, stuttering may disappear. Use ASIO when WASAPI looks to complicated.

Apr 7, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #3,791 of 3,907
1. Never set your DAC as a default Windows sound device. Let sound effects play through the internal sound chip.
2. Fact of mixing sound effects also shows that your output is not WASAPI Exclusive (event driven mode). Get exclusive playback working first, stuttering may disappear. Use ASIO when WASAPI looks to complicated.
I got exclusive playback working but it still stutters. Before the firmware update my USB was basically plug and play without any issues. With the new firmware it still works fine with DDC>Coax, just USB stutters for some reason. Even if my player is set to WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO it still stutters the same as well.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #3,792 of 3,907
I got exclusive playback working but it still stutters. Before the firmware update my USB was basically plug and play without any issues. With the new firmware it still works fine with DDC>Coax, just USB stutters for some reason. Even if my player is set to WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO it still stutters the same as well.
Have you tried different USB cables? You could also try to reinstall the FPGA firmware.

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #3,793 of 3,907
Have you tried different USB cables? You could also try to reinstall the FPGA firmware.
Yup tried different USB cables and different ports. I tried to reinstall the firmware but still gives me error 044 or something. Supposedly it throws that error if it's already the same version.

Edit: Not only that, the sounds I do hear when it's not stuttering sounds like it's sped up dramatically, like people sound like chipmunks. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the firmware.

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #3,794 of 3,907
So I've think I've been a bit unlucky with the fpga update. It seemed to go through ok, but then I noticed a pretty frequent static popping sound. Then the USB malfunctioned somehow so my device is no longer properly detected when I connect it via USB. My laptop and phone know there is something there but can't connect properly.

I've tried reinstalling the driver. That hasn't worked. Without the driver, I can't try to re-flash the firmware.

Otherwise lights still on and it even partially detects when I try to go into firmware update mode by pressing the phase button in standby mode.

Anyone else experienced anything similar and recovered from it?

Is there something I can press on the Dac unit to perform a hard reset? Powering off and on hasn't worked.

I've contacted vinshine. Just wondering if anyone here can help while I wait for their reply.

May 8, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #3,795 of 3,907
So I've think I've been a bit unlucky with the fpga update. It seemed to go through ok, but then I noticed a pretty frequent static popping sound. Then the USB malfunctioned somehow so my device is no longer properly detected when I connect it via USB. My laptop and phone know there is something there but can't connect properly.

I've tried reinstalling the driver. That hasn't worked. Without the driver, I can't try to re-flash the firmware.

Otherwise lights still on and it even partially detects when I try to go into firmware update mode by pressing the phase button in standby mode.

Anyone else experienced anything similar and recovered from it?

Is there something I can press on the Dac unit to perform a hard reset? Powering off and on hasn't worked.

I've contacted vinshine. Just wondering if anyone here can help while I wait for their reply.
Hey, I had similar issues (though not exactly the same) on my desktop PC. I reinstalled the USB drivers for my motherboard and this resolved the issue.

On another note, if anyone has issues on Windows 10 finding the "USB HiRes Audio F-20 Configuration" device in Device Manager, mine didn't show up under "Other Devices", it showed up under "libusb-win32 devices" instead. Hope this saves you some time, because I kept thinking that my Ares II wasn't going into programmable mode when I put it into standby mode and pressing the Phase button.

1683576019005.png

Cheers
Rip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back