DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
May 13, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #3,796 of 3,907
Hey, I had similar issues (though not exactly the same) on my desktop PC. I reinstalled the USB drivers for my motherboard and this resolved the issue.

On another note, if anyone has issues on Windows 10 finding the "USB HiRes Audio F-20 Configuration" device in Device Manager, mine didn't show up under "Other Devices", it showed up under "libusb-win32 devices" instead. Hope this saves you some time, because I kept thinking that my Ares II wasn't going into programmable mode when I put it into standby mode and pressing the Phase button.

1683576019005.png

Cheers
Rip

Thanks for this. I've actually sent my device to my local retailer as that is what was recommended to me by Vinshine. I guess I'll find out once they've had a look at it what they think is wrong with it, thanks for taking the time.

I am curious to hear from those here that have done the FPGA update whether they experienced any sound quality issues after the update? My device developed a static popping sound, which I could hear both before my USB connection died, but also when I connected via optical after the USB issue started. it could be that the problem was due to the USB in any case. Even though the USB input was tecnhically not in use when I tested the device through optical after the FPGA update, the faulty USB section was still physically part of the device so may have been interfering with the audio of the whole device.

so I'm wondering whether anyone else frequent experienced static popping after the FPGA update?

May 13, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #3,797 of 3,907
Hey, I had similar issues (though not exactly the same) on my desktop PC. I reinstalled the USB drivers for my motherboard and this resolved the issue.

On another note, if anyone has issues on Windows 10 finding the "USB HiRes Audio F-20 Configuration" device in Device Manager, mine didn't show up under "Other Devices", it showed up under "libusb-win32 devices" instead. Hope this saves you some time, because I kept thinking that my Ares II wasn't going into programmable mode when I put it into standby mode and pressing the Phase button.

Cheers
Rip
On my Windows 11 computer it showed up exactly as yours did on your Windows 10. I also got the code 044 after the update but the update was installed and works perfectly on my Ares II. I have read some posts that said the difference was minor but in my case I found it to be quit a dramatic change for the better. I use HQPlayer to drive my Ares II and I think the change to NOS was a substantial improvement.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #3,798 of 3,907
Would like yo ask comparison of the ares 2/enyo vs the ares 12th anniversary and to sound characteristics and how the differ.

May 13, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #3,799 of 3,907
Thanks for this. I've actually sent my device to my local retailer as that is what was recommended to me by Vinshine. I guess I'll find out once they've had a look at it what they think is wrong with it, thanks for taking the time.

I am curious to hear from those here that have done the FPGA update whether they experienced any sound quality issues after the update? My device developed a static popping sound, which I could hear both before my USB connection died, but also when I connected via optical after the USB issue started. it could be that the problem was due to the USB in any case. Even though the USB input was tecnhically not in use when I tested the device through optical after the FPGA update, the faulty USB section was still physically part of the device so may have been interfering with the audio of the whole device.

so I'm wondering whether anyone else frequent experienced static popping after the FPGA update?
Yes, I did experience a popping only occasionally after the update on my Ares2. I never had this with the original. I went back to the original firmware for the timber and richness in harmonics that is lacking in the latest version.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #3,800 of 3,907
Yes, I did experience a popping only occasionally after the update on my Ares2. I never had this with the original. I went back to the original firmware for the timber and richness in harmonics that is lacking in the latest version.
That's interesting to hear - Thanks!

Maybe there's more work to be done on the firmware for a certain batch of the devices.

I didn't really get to do a proper comparison of the Ares II pre and post FPGA update but I've been told the update chases neutrality and sounds more "digital". Personally, I have a VMV D1SE that offers that kind of sound pretty well. The beauty of the Ares II is the "analogue-ness" of the sound. If that has been lost (which seems to have been the case when you updated it too) then I'll probably find myself going back to the original firmware too .... once I get my Ares II back from repair.

May 14, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #3,801 of 3,907
That's interesting to hear - Thanks!

Maybe there's more work to be done on the firmware for a certain batch of the devices.

I didn't really get to do a proper comparison of the Ares II pre and post FPGA update but I've been told the update chases neutrality and sounds more "digital". Personally, I have a VMV D1SE that offers that kind of sound pretty well. The beauty of the Ares II is the "analogue-ness" of the sound. If that has been lost (which seems to have been the case when you updated it too) then I'll probably find myself going back to the original firmware too .... once I get my Ares II back from repair.
On my Ares II after the upgrade the sound is definitely not digital. It is a glorious upgrade on my system. The most obvious difference is the spatial representation both depth and width. All the things I liked about the Ares II is still very present but more defined and much better focus. I have read some others received different results. It may be down to the specific fpga installed. In any case I found the upgrade to be an obvious improvement.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #3,802 of 3,907
On my Ares II after the upgrade the sound is definitely not digital. It is a glorious upgrade on my system. The most obvious difference is the spatial representation both depth and width. All the things I liked about the Ares II is still very present but more defined and much better focus. I have read some others received different results. It may be down to the specific fpga installed. In any case I found the upgrade to be an obvious improvement.
I had a similar experience, definitely more depth and width to the sound, to my ears. I've been using my Ares 2 in my system for about two years, and the difference was obvious. I still find it amazing that a "simple" firmware upgrade could make such a palpable difference, but hey, Vinshine Audio clearly know what they're doing.

Do you have yours in NOS/OS? If OS, Slow or Fast?

May 15, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #3,803 of 3,907
Pops are indicative of synchronisation errors. You hear it occasionally, but it is a sign that Ares receiver is battling reproducing continuous data stream, it affects jitter. The same case of @Knee Deep In Epoxy reporting more digital sound.

A reason is that old firmware uses extraordinary large (inpractical) FIFO, but it handles well stream interruptions on a poor connection. The new version depends on the asynchronous data transmision (like my Amanero receiver). If broken (downgraded to the older methods of transmission) or there is extensive noise passed to DAC on the ground connection that affect clock synchronisation, it sounds digital, even popping up in extreme case.

In both cases I would sugest not downgrade, it is a fault in your setup, fix it. On Windows do not use system mixer, but WASAPI Exclusive output using event driven mode. There is such setting in your player. Use any means to reduce ground loops between source (usually PC) and DAC, starting from simple ground loop redirectors like self-powered USB 2.0 hub, Ifi Defender, etc.

This firmware upgrade is a good ocasion for fixing your system problems. I don't own Ares, but I know, it is a common problem. My 2c.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #3,804 of 3,907
Pops are indicative of synchronisation errors. You hear it occasionally, but it is a sign that Ares receiver is battling reproducing continuous data stream, it affects jitter. The same case of @Knee Deep In Epoxy reporting more digital sound.

A reason is that old firmware uses extraordinary large (inpractical) FIFO, but it handles well stream interruptions on a poor connection. The new version depends on the asynchronous data transmision (like my Amanero receiver). If broken (downgraded to the older methods of transmission) or there is extensive noise passed to DAC on the ground connection that affect clock synchronisation, it sounds digital, even popping up in extreme case.

In both cases I would sugest not downgrade, it is a fault in your setup, fix it. On Windows do not use system mixer, but WASAPI Exclusive output using event driven mode. There is such setting in your player. Use any means to reduce ground loops between source (usually PC) and DAC, starting from simple ground loop redirectors like self-powered USB 2.0 hub, Ifi Defender, etc.

This firmware upgrade is a good ocasion for fixing your system problems. I don't own Ares, but I know, it is a common problem. My 2c.
Thanks - Lots of food for thought and things for me to test. On thing I can say is that I experienced the pops with the Ares II after the update only. My VMV D1SE was connected to the same power outlet so any ground loop issues on the Ares should have transferred to the D1SE.

That said, when I get my Ares back I'll consider the various points you've suggested. Thanks!

May 15, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #3,805 of 3,907
I had a similar experience, definitely more depth and width to the sound, to my ears. I've been using my Ares 2 in my system for about two years, and the difference was obvious. I still find it amazing that a "simple" firmware upgrade could make such a palpable difference, but hey, Vinshine Audio clearly know what they're doing.

Do you have yours in NOS/OS? If OS, Slow or Fast?
Mine is set on NOS because I use HQPlayer as the front end for all playback in DSD512. Remarkable program that adds so many options it is certain to bring a smile to anyone.

May 15, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #3,806 of 3,907

I have Three Dac's and a couple of different streamers none of them are using Windows and none of them have ever made a pop. Looks like I found the problem and it seems to be the new firmware.

May 15, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #3,807 of 3,907
Mine is set on NOS because I use HQPlayer as the front end for all playback in DSD512. Remarkable program that adds so many options it is certain to bring a smile to anyone.
Just for clarification, NOS/OS mode only is in use when the signal is PCM (R2R ladder). DSD material is not affected by that mode, it has its own decoder path (32 step FIR filters).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back