DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 24, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #3,766 of 3,907
Just to confirm test was done with the new firmware installed?
Yes, this is with the new firmware.

Also, i got paranoid that maybe something in my other equipment could have flipped the phase, but I tested another dac which can invert phase and got the same results. So original graph stands.

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #3,768 of 3,907
Sorry this might belong on another forum but do you think the phase light off is also positive on the Ares 12th Anniversary?
The easiest way to check phase is to play a phase polarity test which can be found in Qobuz or Tidal. Listen for instrument focus and bass tightness. Then you will know if for you the light should be on or off for best results.

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #3,769 of 3,907
Went through the firmware upgrade with my Ares 2 and I gotta say, afterwards, it seems less buggy with my Mac when connected via USB. And it sounds better of course! Wins all around. I stopped using Audirvana as my music player so I can't do a reliable comparison now through iTunes. But I'm happy with the "new" sound, still prefer coax but USB does sound better too.

This is the first time I've ever done a firmware update for a DAC and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I wasn't really thinking about replacing the Ares 2, but this feels almost like getting a new DAC for free.

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #3,770 of 3,907
With Denafrips NOS mode being a topic of debate and controversy and whether or not it’s true NOS (purported to be linear interpolation or processed in some way) it would be interesting to know if they possibly may have changed this and theoretically made it true NOS in the latest FPGA firmware update. Maybe GoldenSound could perform another test on an upgraded unit.

Mar 27, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #3,772 of 3,907
I understand the concern for misleading the customer with false claim`s, but how does a line on a graph effect what your hearing? I guess I`ll never understand that mentality.
I certainly wasn't claiming they have mislead at all. I'm a big fan of Denafrips/Alvin and my Pontus II, and my old Ares II, and find the NOS mode great. Denafrips has said that it is in fact NOS but that they apply some processing to the signal which to me, personally, I don't really care as it sounds good to me. I think GoldenSound, who is also a fan of Denafrips, was merely pointing out his findings. Denafrips was a little tight lipped about it because I don't think they want to give away their secret to their NOS feature and I get that 100%. I was just wondering if they may have changed the approach to NOS with this update and if someone like GoldenSound with the equipment and know-how might see if it has changed at all.

Mar 27, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #3,773 of 3,907
I certainly wasn't claiming they have mislead at all. I'm a big fan of Denafrips/Alvin and my Pontus II, and my old Ares II, and find the NOS mode great. Denafrips has said that it is in fact NOS but that they apply some processing to the signal which to me, personally, I don't really care as it sounds good to me. I think GoldenSound, who is also a fan of Denafrips, was merely pointing out his findings. Denafrips was a little tight lipped about it because I don't think they want to give away their secret to their NOS feature and I get that 100%. I was just wondering if they may have changed the approach to NOS with this update and if someone like GoldenSound with the equipment and know-how might see if it has changed at all.
I get that it would be interesting to see what changes were made. Mostly I refer to some people who couldn't live with the fact it wasn't true NOS.

Mar 27, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #3,774 of 3,907
I get that it would be interesting to see what changes were made. Mostly I refer to some people who couldn't live with the fact it wasn't true NOS.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, some people have had issues. I can't wait for the Pontus update to be released! So many positive comments so far!

Mar 27, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #3,775 of 3,907
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, some people have had issues. I can't wait for the Pontus update to be released! So many positive comments so far!stocks are going up

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, some people have had issues. I can't wait for the Pontus update to be released! So many positive comments so far!
Yeah Denafrips and Vinshine are Killin it .

Mar 27, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #3,776 of 3,907

This is what it says in their recent FAQ about the firmware update, which makes it sound like NOS mode is the same as the change that they made to 12th Anniversary editions prior to the firmware update being made available for older models:

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/post/q-a-denafrips-12th-fpga-firmware-update

Controversial Topic: After the firmware update, is the DAC a true NOS DAC?
The firmware update changes the NOS response to what Vinshine Audio believes it's NOS (Raw, Staircase Waveform output for 44.1kHz / 48kHz). Let's be frank. We do not have the means and resources to measure the in-depth NOS response with the highly sophisticated Audio Precision APX Analyzer. The AP costs too much at this point in time for us to invest one. A simple waveform analyzer/oscilopscope showed that the repsonse of the 44.1kHz / 48kHz, in NOS mode, was a classic raw staircase waveform, identical to that of NOS. Moreover, we have been told by the DENAFRIPS firmware engineer, in NOS mode, there is no oversampling, linear-interpolation or any of that sorts. These lead us to believe the DAC is indeed NOS, in our terms.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #3,777 of 3,907
Just wanted to say that I prefer the older firmware.
In my system it sounds more lively and forward.
I have a copy of the old firmware, so I was able to go back and forth and A/B test.

Fyi, there are two different types of firmware that are both installed on the Ares II: FPGA and MCU.
When you install the new Firmware, it installs a version of both of these.
However you can have one version of the FPGA and different version of the MCU.
I prefer the older FPGA with MCU version v3.14.0

Mar 31, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #3,778 of 3,907
Pontus
Just wanted to say that I prefer the older firmware.
In my system it sounds more lively and forward.
I have a copy of the old firmware, so I was able to go back and forth and A/B test.

Fyi, there are two different types of firmware that are both installed on the Ares II: FPGA and MCU.
When you install the new Firmware, it installs a version of both of these.
However you can have one version of the FPGA and different version of the MCU.
I prefer the older FPGA with MCU version v3.14.0
The MCU v3.14 is the same as 3.12 with the addition of software volume only. This only effect's the USB input.

Mar 31, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #3,779 of 3,907
Pontus

The MCU v3.14 is the same as 3.12 with the addition of software volume only. This only effect's the USB input.
There is an audible difference between MCU v3.12.0 and v3.14.0 even on other inputs.
I am running a cd player into the digital coax input of the Ares II, and it sounds different with different versions of those MCU's installed.

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #3,780 of 3,907
The
There is an audible difference between MCU v3.12.0 and v3.14.0 even on other inputs.
I am running a cd player into the digital coax input of the Ares II, and it sounds different with different versions of those MCU's installed.
The USB signal is muted when using other input`s and is mentioned in the literature. As this is the USB driver and only effects the USB controller I`m not sure how this is possible. But I`m glad you found what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back